Bow shape

Fallow120

FNG
Hey everyone, I’m working on upping my draw weight for an elk hunt this fall. I am looking for tips on how to gain strength for it other than just shooting my bow. I feel like I’ll get super uneven if I don’t do something to supplement my practice.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nobody

WKR
Hey everyone, I’m working on upping my draw weight for an elk hunt this fall. I am looking for tips on how to gain strength for it other than just shooting my bow. I feel like I’ll get super uneven if I don’t do something to supplement my practice.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Shoulder raises (front and side), kettlebell swings, shoulder presses, rows, pull ups. That's where I would start!

LostArra

WKR
I would suggest simply training for strength separately while continuing to shoot your bow (allowing for recovery). Opinions will vary but I think barbell training does this most effectively. Basic lifts: squats, bench press, standing press, dead lift with some accessory exercises like rowing (barbell and dumbbell) and chins. Gradually increase the weight on the bar (which means you are training) and as you get stronger you will be able handle heavier draw weight bows without a degradation of your shooting form. You don't need to become a competitive powerlifter to simply get stronger.

Trying to get "stronger" by only shooting your bow is a dead end.

Last edited:
Following along. I’ve been wanting to work on the same thing.

I agree with Lostarra. You want to do some weight training. Just shooting your bow is not enough if you are wanting to increase your draw weight.

Bubdog

FNG
Not for sure what type of equipment you have access to, but inverted rows, pull ups, and turkish get ups can be done with minimal equipment.

JayTx

FNG
Along with what everyone else has said I also use a band. Tie one end off to something shoulder level grab the band and do the same motion as drawing your bow to your anchor point then hold it for a count of 30 and work up from there. I've noticed a big difference since doing this on being able to hold longer while being more stable. Make sure you work in progressive loading to your workouts.

dingle

Lil-Rokslider
I always recommend boxing training. Conditioning, heavy bag, speed bag workouts. No, you won't **** up your hands or wrists if you have an ex-fighter coach and your hands are wrapped properly. Enjoy it!

DaveN85

FNG
I agree with a lot of the previous posts. You'll definitely want to incorporate a functional fitness routine that includes a combination of weights and bodyweight exercises. The key thing to remember is not to create an imbalance in your muscular system by neglecting key muscle groups (i.e., chest, back, core).

bozeman

WKR
Get a 5 lbs and 8 lbs dumbbell- use your front hand (the one you hold your bow with) and hold a dumbbell vertically while you watch TV at night, build the weight (from 5 - 8 lbs) and sets/time length of hold. Don’t just focus on your ‘draw arm’. This helps build stabilizing muscles ..........