Bow shops in Colorado and New Mexico

Mosby

WKR
My son is looking to get a new bow set up for elk hunting. He is working remote from Kansas City right now and will be moving to the DC area for work in the next several months. He wants to get his bow before he moves to DC. The archery shops in the area are relatively small, don't have a lot of inventory right now and the ones I have used for myself sell major brands but seem to be hit or miss on the tech side. I would prefer he work with guys that actually elk hunt so he gets set up properly.

I am planning on trips to Colorado and New Mexico this summer for fishing and scouting and we have decided to possibly take advantage of it and consider getting his new bow set up on one of those trips. I can go through Denver and/or Colorado Springs and will be flying into Albuquerque on a different trip. Bow shops come and go and shops that used to be good, have new owners or change. I am familiar with some of the shops in the Denver and Colorado Springs area (I have been in them) several years ago but not in the last few years. I know there are a couple of large shops in the Albuquerque area but have never been in them.

Is there an archery shop or two in those cities/areas that are a level above the average small shop for product, knowledge and service and the techs actually elk hunt? Thanks.

I'd recommend paying a visit to Carter's Archery in Cameron, MO (about an hour north of KC). You'd be hard-pressed to find someone more knowledgeable about bows than Mike Carter.

Vandy321

WKR
Bill Peligrino's is in C-Springs.. 5 time world archery champ. He runs a fantastic shop.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
Bill Peligrino's is in C-Springs.. 5 time world archery champ. He runs a fantastic shop.
Was in his shop several years ago but didn't know if he still owned the shop or if anything had changed. Thanks.

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
I'd recommend paying a visit to Carter's Archery in Cameron, MO (about an hour north of KC). You'd be hard-pressed to find someone more knowledgeable about bows than Mike Carter.
He used to be in St. Joe? I wasn't sure if he was still in business. Website that I had doesn't work. I am going to KC next week and will give him a call. Thanks.

He used to be in St. Joe? I wasn't sure if he was still in business. Website that I had doesn't work. I am going to KC next week and will give him a call. Thanks.
My brother who lives in KC went to see Mike last summer. I think he had recently (or was maybe in the process of) relocating his shop. Probably worth a phone call to verify his current location.

ZDR

WKR
Hit or Miss archery in Albuquerque. Great shop with a 40yd indoor range, great staff and a variety of brands to choose from. Matthew’s, Elite, PSE, Prime, Hoyt, Bear etc...

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
Hit or Miss archery in Albuquerque. Great shop with a 40yd indoor range, great staff and a variety of brands to choose from. Matthew’s, Elite, PSE, Prime, Hoyt, Bear etc...
I saw some older YT videos they used to produce. Looks like an outstanding shop with a really nice range.

I am going to give them a call. Thanks.

Reactions: ZDR

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
As mentioned, Hit or Miss in Albuquerque is excellent. The Archery Shoppe is good too and offers some other brands (Bowtech for example).

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
My brother who lives in KC went to see Mike last summer. I think he had recently (or was maybe in the process of) relocating his shop. Probably worth a phone call to verify his current location.
I talked with them today. My son is going to go up there as soon as the weather improves. He has a really good reputation and easy to get too for follow up visits. My son is left handed and few shops have left handed bows to shoot. He is going to have to order whatever he gets and I have been told that is a 10-12 week process right now to get them in. Based on that, buying out of state probably doesn't make sense, so I recommended he go up there and work with them on his new set up. Thanks.

Or, he could drive 2 hrs north to Lancaster Archery.

Elk setup is a 65# draw weight and a 400 grain arrow with a sharp broadhead...

OP
Mosby

Mosby

WKR
Or, he could drive 2 hrs north to Lancaster Archery.

Elk setup is a 65# draw weight and a 400 grain arrow with a sharp broadhead...
Set up is pretty close to what I told him. I grew up in PA, my grandmothers family is buried in Lancaster, so I know the area pretty well. My son was actually born in DC but we left when he was 3. Sort of a homecoming for him but he doesn't remember any of it. He is getting married next year and has decided to buy a new rifle and bow while he still has money and before he moves. We're working on the bow first. Thanks.

TX_Diver

WKR
3rd for Hit or Miss in Albuquerque.

Great people, range, selection of bows/equipment, etc. Competent techs too.

Reactions: ZDR