Bow sight - final thoughts on a slider

So I am going with a 3-pin slider for a new HOYT defiant 34 I have ordered. I have narrowed it down to 4. I plan to run this with a tight spot quiver if that matters. Any final thoughts before I pull the trigger are appreciated.

Spott Hogg fast Eddie XL - $300
Pros - durable, tried and true design, did I say durable
Cons - no forward facing sight tape.

Axcel accutouch HD slider - $400
Pros - forward facing sight tapes, click marks for range, a bit more innovative design
Cons - less proven design, Price.

Black gold verdict - $250
Pros - solid reputation, rear facing tape, Price
Cons - wheel of death protrudes, may not work with all quivers

Option sight - $500
Pros - blends fixed and slider sight features.
Cons - Price, newer design with mixed feedback.

Of these, I am leaning toward the axcel because I like what I read about the design and feedback. I can also get a single pin and a 3 pin head for about $50 more so I could play with each to see what I like best.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

DJ.

I was in this boat a few weeks back. I had the same list of sights plus the CBE Tek Hybrid. Ultimately i went back to a black gold sight. Settled on the Ascent with 6 inch dovetail and the Revenge head with a 3 pin set up, i can also buy a single pin head if i want too and switch it out.

I ordered a Fast Eddie XL and based on their backlog i wouldnt get it till almost July, so that was a deal breaker and i canceled it. The Axcel also had a long lead time, im a lefty so it might be different for you. But the price for the Axcel and the CBE both higher then my Black Gold which was around $300. I do like the sight tapes on the CBE though. Also, i read some reviews on the axcel and talked to the guys at my pro shop and they all admitted the black gold pins are just plain brighter..

As for your quiver comment, not sure how the wheel of death would cause issues with a quiver. Maybe on the shorter ones but the ones with a dovetail set up, which i recommend any quiver would work.

At the end of the day i stuck with a sight company that i have been using for years. Black Gold

I would also suggest going with the black gold. I choose this sight for my Carbon defiant last year. I agree with the wheel of death. especially in the brush and making changes with animals in close. It doesn't interfere with the quiver but it does stick out. I had a HHA 3 pin slider previously and really liked that set-up. I do see that HHA is offering that setup with the King pin again, so perhaps a quick look couldn't hurt.
Best of luck as Any of the sights mentioned will work and are solid choices.

Ive had a couple Axcel accutouch's and really like them. The knob is out front for easy use and the tape position is easy to read for me. I only use the "clicks" for my home position on the 3 pin housing. I ran it with the tightspot and didnt have an issue.

I actually have a Accutouch HD with a 3 pin accustat housing right now that i might sell if your interested. I picked up the carbon pro version from a buddy and dont need 2.

jmez

WKR
I have an Accutouch Slider. I love the sight and IMO they make the best sights on the market. The click marks for range however, is a gimmick. They actually defeat the entire purpose of the slider sight. You can set them at whatever distance you want but you can't really stop the dial in between them. The clicks only allow you to use the yardages that you preset. No different than having fixed pins. I didn't buy mine based on the "click" system so I don't care. I didn't really understand how they worked until I got mine and played with it. I took the clicks off after I messed with it for about 2 minutes. They are easy to remove.

OP
Desk Jockey
The black gold and the axcel have sight tape set at a 45 degree angle facing the left rear on a right handed bow. Easier to see with a quiver on the bow than the tape on a wheel like the fast Eddie.

jmez

WKR
Not the Accutouch, I just got mine this winter. Prior to that I used one of their Armortech models and it is the most durable sight I have used. That includes Black Gold, Spot Hogg, and CBE. It is the only one of those that I never had to repair.

dcopher

Lil-Rokslider
My Axcel Accutouch HD has been extremely durable. I can't speak to the 3 pin head, as I use a single pin, but the scope pin has been bright enough for my use.

DEW0341

WKR
Black gold for me! Customer service is on point! I stripped the 3rd axis set screw on mine totally my fault using wrong size Allen key I got in contact with CS they sent me 5 in the mail free of charge. I dropped my bow from my work bench landed on the sight 3-1/2ft fall to concrete sustained a 1/4 hairline crack in the photochromatic shell and they sent me 2 free of charge in the mail. Both my fault completely. If it's worth anything at all they will take care of you.

That said I have friends with the axcel and it is a fine sight as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

WKR
Axcel is far from unproven. Look at the Olympians on down through competitive archery and you'll see a company with a stellar reputation and product. Have 2 of them (one 2nd and one carbon pro) and really like the product. I disagree with jmez on the utility of the accutouch system. Very useful if set up well for your needs.

OP
Desk Jockey
So I bought the accutouch. 3 pin slider. Just got it bolted on the new bow. Like the fit and finish. For my first slider it is going to take some getting used to. I have 3 months to wring it out. Plan on setting pins at 20-30-40 and have the bottom as my slider. The fixed pins should take care of my eastern whitetail situations and I can stretch it out with the slider for fun.

Thanks for the input.

Jdizz

FNG
Figured this would be a decent thread to throw this out here... Does anybody know if you can take a pin out of the housing system on an ascent verdict and if it will still work the same? I'm getting my hands on a 5 pin slider and I'd really like to only use 4 pins... if I take out the 5th pin, will the 4th pin still work as my moveable pin?

Figured this would be a decent thread to throw this out here... Does anybody know if you can take a pin out of the housing system on an ascent verdict and if it will still work the same? I'm getting my hands on a 5 pin slider and I'd really like to only use 4 pins... if I take out the 5th pin, will the 4th pin still work as my moveable pin?

Your slider, or moveable, pin will work with any one you want it to. It's a matter of where you set your sight tape for your zero or "back to home" setting.

jmez

WKR
A $500 sight?

Has anybody ever stepped back and looked at this?

Yep they are expensive. It's a hobby, they are all expensive.

When I look at the technology, machining and assembly that goes into the high end slider sights I wonder how they can even sell them at the current price points.