Bow sight suggestion/question

For the last 3 years I’ve been hunting with a spott hog fast eddie xl single post dual pin. It’s been a super tough site to say the least. Very accurate. And reliable. My wife is shooting the same in a 3 pin and hers seems to be just as durable and accurate but her pins are much brighter. So here in lies the questions/recommendations.

I’m considering changing my sight housing to a 3 pin like my wife’s to gain an extra pin and not have a pin gap of 20 yards which I currently have with my current set up. If I change my sight housing I will have a 3 pin with dual indicators. I can set my top pin at 20 and my bottom pin would match the indicator for 39. Then my middle pin would be 30. If I dial, I will have an indicator for top and bottom pins and a middle pin that would be very very close to what ever is half way between those yardages. Close enough to kill an animal with for sure.

Otherwise, I’m thinking of going with a new sight all together. As of now I’m looking at the Black Gold pro 3 pin dovetail. I’ve never put my hands on one and don’t know a lot about them. But it’s gonna be hard for any sight to be as durable as the spott hog and what I’ve put it through. Money wise, it’s cheaper to change the head on what I have. I do like the ease of adjustment on the pins for black gold but I also didn’t have a hard time setting my wife’s 3 pin for her either. Just took a little longer than what the BG pro would take.

This is going on a bow that I hunt out west with and deer hunt out of a tree if that makes much of a difference.

Thanks!

Last edited:
so what's the question?

MBG and Spot Hogg are pretty similar in quality and durability. Not sure I'd switch just for the different name.

I have no opinion between spott Hogg and black gold, simply because I’ve never used the Spott Hogg.

What I will say is that I ran a single pin slider for a while before switching to a three pin and kicked myself for not switching sooner. I got comfortable enough with that to switch to a 5 pin, and I’ve got to say I like the 5 pin slider a lot so far.

I set my slider all the way up, locked it in, and centered the middle pin in the housing. Then I moved the housing to get that middle pin dialed in to 40. I then got my pins dialed in at 20-30-40-50-60. I have a dual indicator that is my 40 and 60 pins. Then I know I can roll out to specific yardage with either of those. Keeps me from having to move too far out of my comfort zone with anchoring and still get good distance.

ckstites

FNG
Look at the IQ retina lock sight. I am an eye doctor and use the same principles every day at my office. I have used this sight for over ten years - Deadly accurate.

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
I have both. (Hoyt Helix w/ BG Verdict 2 pin & Hyper Force w/ Tommy Hogg 3 pin)

I prefer the Spott Hogg. 3 pins is nice for whitetails from the stand.

Just my .02

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Here is my opinion for what its worth. It all boils down to arrow speed for me. I was shooting a single up dual indicator spot hog fast eddie XL. I liked the sight but felt it lacked some range of shooting for a tree stand.

I borrowed on of my brothers 5 pin black golds. I really liked it but at 280-285 5 pins felt really cluttered to me in 10 yard increments. It made be kinda have target panic as I didnt have a very clear sight picture and I wanted to punch when I saw my pin float by. Also the ballistic chart in pinwheel has been a real eye opener when you learn that at 280 fps your arrow is dropping 7.5" from 40 to 44 yards so having 10 yard pins in my opinion doesnt always keep you in your hit window.

Then I ordered a black gold 3 pin pro. These have far been my favorite sights to the point I have 3 of them (one on the wifes bow) I have my top pin in amber at 20 yards and then green 35 and 50. With the dual indicator both the green pins are sliders. The pro pins are legit. Very slender and give a good clear sight picture. My primary and back up bow have nearly identical drops 2" from each other at 100 yards so I decided to give myself some more pin gap. I just know at 25 i'm +5" on my 20 yard top of the lungs and 30 yards I'm -7" on my 35 yard pin so just under the deer. 35 and on I dial. This leaves my pins nice and spaced out but the sight still completely usuable.

As far as durability I feel they are both very durable to the point I wouldnt hesitate to run either. With that being said the BG with the wing truss dovetail was about 3oz lighter then the fast eddie XL.

I like a 5 pin housing. I use mostly a tommy base with a 5 pin, float the bottom. I have shot pins forever tho. Basically I use it as a fixed 5 pin and float it for practice at range, or a long distance follow up if needed.

For a hunting bow I recommend to most to set first pin at a minimum of 25 yards if not 30. Definitely 30 for elk, deer sometimes 25. Pretty easy to learn to shoot a top pin at 30 for anything 40 yards and in. I also don't always use a pin to hold, I concentrate on the target and split pins rather than trying to figure out how high or low to aim. Pretty easy really, 37 yards is holding 1/3 over my 40 and 2/3 below my 30. I don't really need to focus on it, just comes naturally as I have done it for so long.