Bow site question?

I prefer a slider over a 7 pin for more precise aiming at longer distances. If I range a target/animal at 73 yards I can dial to the exact range and put a pin on point of impact instead of guessing (pin gapping) that distance.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went with multiple pin and glad I did. I had ranged the buck and drew instantly, I wouldn't have had time use a slider.

Hogg father is awesome!

Chem-E

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot a 3 pin Black Gold Ascent. I chose the 3 pin because like the others less clutter. I set my first pin for 27yds. with my bow that puts me about 3 inches high at 20yds. and 3 inches low at 30yds. the next pin 40 and the last at 50. I then used Archers Advantage software to make my sight tape. The bottom pin (50yds.) is my floater, when I adjust my slider for any yardage past 50 I use the bottom pin to aim with.

This is my exact system as well, except I have my floater set at 40 and the others at 30 and 20. Works great, Archers Advantage is dead on.

tradair1980

Lil-Rokslider
DR...The shop I go to uses reg. printer paper, then pus in a piece packing tape folded in half( waterproofing) then tapes it to the dial on the sight it works great.

Bought a 5-pin tommy Hogg for my Heli-m and love it. The five pin lets me have pins for 20-60 yards and then the 5th pin (60 yard pin) becomes my adjustable pin. Never had any problem with clutter with five pins and never have had to use the slider when hunting. I used some label paper and made my lines with a sharpie. I then covered the paper with tape to provide somewhat of a waterproof barrier. It's a sweet setup.

vcb

WKR
You guys that use archers advantage, what type of paper do you buy?
At first I just printed it on reg paper and did what tradair said. I think I'm gonna print it on a white wrap that I have left over. That way it will have adhesive underneath and then put some packing tape over top for waterproofing.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
At first I just printed it on reg paper and did what tradair said. I think I'm gonna print it on a white wrap that I have left over. That way it will have adhesive underneath and then put some packing tape over top for waterproofing.

Butcher paper?

Slim Jim

WKR
I'm glad you're getting your Hogg father dialed in Travis because I plan on getting one this spring. That means you'll be getting some PMs. Just to let you know. Lol

J-Daddy

WKR
Yep. If you have a 4 pin sight, you can have 30-40-50-60 on one setting. Slide the sight up and you now have 70-80-90-100. Lot easier than have 8 pins. I would love to pick up a quality 4 or 5 pin slider.

Mike

It totally DOES NOT work that way...If you tried that your gonna be putting arrows in the dirt at long range...Sight in a 7 pin sight from 20 to 80yds and look at the pin gaps...Arrows lose speed at a big rate at long range so your pin gaps get bigger that longer the yardage.
For a multi pin slider, say a 3 pin, set them 20,30,40 yds and then for everything past 40 use the bottom pin.
The other advantage is say that you have a 7 pin sight set out to 80yds, but you wanna mess around and practice at 100 or even 120yds...Your forced to just hold over, maybe use the bubble level as a pin...Your sort of guessing at that point. With a slider, slide it down, and you have a pin to put on the target.

wapitibob

WKR
just buy a pack of avery labels with stick back. Print the tape to regular paper then scotch tape a section of avery over the just printed tape and run it thru the printer again.

SDHNTR

WKR
The BEST paper is from REI and they sell it branded as National Geographic waterproof paper that you would use to print out maps on. It's awesome for this purpose.