Bow tuning questions

amack26

Lil-Rokslider
No worries. One minor adjustment to a string can make a world of difference. A lot of shops take that approach and honestly working in a few shops around sothern california, there are techs that only know that much and some that don't "believe in" tuning your bow. They adjust the rest/nock point and get you on your way. If you end up putting a new string on the bow you may want to check out winners choice, They are expensive but they have a lifetime warranty. If there is any issue with the string they will send you out a new one. Great company to deal with. I don't work there nor am I paid to say that.

bcar

Lil-Rokslider
No worries. One minor adjustment to a string can make a world of difference. A lot of shops take that approach and honestly working in a few shops around sothern california, there are techs that only know that much and some that don't "believe in" tuning your bow. They adjust the rest/nock point and get you on your way. If you end up putting a new string on the bow you may want to check out winners choice, They are expensive but they have a lifetime warranty. If there is any issue with the string they will send you out a new one. Great company to deal with. I don't work there nor am I paid to say that.
I've heard a lot of good things about winners choice. I'm hoping I don't have to put a new string on this bow again. I'd likely buy a new bow before putting a new string on at this point since it's 7 years old.

I'll post an update whenever I make it into the shop.

amack26

Lil-Rokslider
With good arrow flight a limb driven rest will help a lot. if you are getting nock right tears it may not help. I disagree with the FOC part though. If you tried a 125 grain point on your current set up it may soften the spine enough to get you where you need to be but the point of impact will change a bit. @rsiwuda is correct its hard to really diagnose the problem without the bow but if you start with point weight and see a difference it will tell you if its a spine issue. Going up in stiffness, cutting it, and putting a heavier point would put you back where you're at now as far as spine goes.

We look forward to the update @bcar

bcar

Lil-Rokslider
I think a limb driven rest would help you significantly.

With good arrow flight a limb driven rest will help a lot. if you are getting nock right tears it may not help.

I currently shoot a Vaportrail Pro V rest. Should I try turning the poundage up to max and see what happens when shooting through paper? That should get me back into the 340 spine window.

amack26

Lil-Rokslider
I started with a Trophy Taker smackdown rest on the nitrum and switched over to a QAD drop away. I dont know if the rest will change much. If there is adjustment left I would say max out your poundage, shoot it through paper and see if it changes anything.

OP
rsiwuda

rsiwuda

Lil-Rokslider
I currently shoot a Vaportrail Pro V rest. Should I try turning the poundage up to max and see what happens when shooting through paper? That should get me back into the 340 spine window.
Txt me if you want 8155296933

Here’s a question got a new bow early this month way late in the game for me shot the ever living out of it knowing the factory string would stretch it did I got it back in time and it shot great shooting tonight I noticed the bow seemed off and a bit loud then noticed the wall had gotten softer and I was being lazy made sure I pulled through real hard started to shoot great again I’m sure I need to retime it my question about how long do you feel it takes factory Hoyt strings to settle in... I normally go with 60x but this late I’m probably just gonna set the timing and go hunt just curious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
rsiwuda

rsiwuda

Lil-Rokslider
Hoyt factory string are not very reliable and that is completely normal get 150 shots in then retime and get peep twist out and you'll be good. That happens to every hoyt we get and when your ready order 452x string material it's the most consistent.
Our shop can make you pro series strings using 452x material with speed nocks for $110 plus shipping if you want to go through us.

Hoyt factory string are not very reliable and that is completely normal get 150 shots in then retime and get peep twist out and you'll be good. That happens to every hoyt we get and when your ready order 452x string material it's the most consistent.

Kinda what I was thinking thought it was odd the first time I knew for a fact they stretched got it all taken care of this time the peep never moved but I can feel the cables did doesn’t feel in time and I think a yoke leg broadheads started shooting to the right again.... I’ll send you a pm about the strings this winter my season starts the first and I won’t be shooting as much as I’d like as soon as deer season is over I am getting rid of these strings remembered why the last 3 bows have all been aftermarket string sets

Lost confidence in the closest shop to me a few years back and put together my own I’ll put it on the draw board tomorrow and check figured I’d double check in the mean time as I was scrolling on here

drose

FNG
What are some good tips for tuning a new string? Are there any practices you do to compensate for stretch over time?

Bassman

Lil-Rokslider
Number 1 get a good quality string, you should be paying at least $100 without labor. Number 2 after the string is put on get a solid 200 shots in it then double check everything and retune bow if needed. Number 3 make sure you always have a very thin layer of wax on your string at all times.

Thanks for doing this thread, very much appreciated. Do you have a string you recommend? I have always been overwhelmed by string options and feel like the shops I've spoken to don't provide good direction.

Here's my tuning question:
I shoot an old Mathews Switchback. Last year, my broadheads and fp's grouped together fine... this year, I had to get a new string... and my broadheads are flying maybe 6 inches high and 10 inches right of FPs at 20 yards. Gets worse of course, further I get. I didn't shoot broadheads till just before opener so.... I adjusted sight and went hunting with broadheads. Dead Bull... thankfully. Perfect shot, great penetration...

But now, since I'll have time, what's my step to get these things back together? It has an ultrarest on it.

Love this bow.

Sorta what I figured. How many shots might it take to make sure that string is broke in? I've probably only got about 150-200 into it.

drose

FNG
Really appreciate your expertise! If you are still available to answering questions: if you do not have paper to shoot through what other method would you suggest? I see you noted that you don't move your rest for paper tuning. Could you list some high points at what you do to tune a bow? I was thinking that tuning resides in the rest, nock points, draw stops, timing? Trying to get an idea of what I need to look into. Having a tough time bringing my Broadheads and FP together

Thanks! @rsiwuda

drose

FNG
Man @rsiwuda Thank you so much for that breakdown! I noticed that my lower cam on my PSE Premonition HD is out just a tad compared to my upper cam - going to add some twists to bring that back. Currently have a whisker Biscuit but working towards a drop away. Was looking at changing the front weight to 125grains just to see if there was any difference benefit, but Id have to be careful with the spine I have. Right now shooting Magnus Black Hornets, Motecs, and will try out VPA, will look at your suggestions too - find one that works with my bow.

Really appreciate your time and knowledge!

Beman ICS 340 - 29'' from nock valley to insert - 63 lb DW

KBC

WKR
Question about arrow spine.
I'm shooting a PSE dream season Decree, I think it's from 2015.
29.5 DL
125 grain field points/BH
30" arrow
300 Spine Gold tip hunter

I had it set at 64 lbs and was getting nock left and low tears. Minor yoke tune and height of my rest got it shooting good through paper.

I've recently cranked it up to around 70lbs and the same tear is back.

Am I under spined?

dguns18

FNG
New to Roklide so I'm trying to get my post count up. I'm a bowtech down in Arizona. Any questions regarding bow tuning or problems regarding arrows I'm here to help if I can!

Why does my Bowtech BTX 31 that has the 31" modules, and is maxed out on both the draw stops on the modules only draw 31" when it should be drawing 31"??

OP
rsiwuda

rsiwuda

Lil-Rokslider
Why does my Bowtech BTX 31 that has the 31" modules, and is maxed out on both the draw stops on the modules only draw 31" when it should be drawing 31"??
Shoot it through a cronograph and if your shooting 31 ft per second then you should be good.