Bow tuning

Ten Bears

WKR
Picked up a new RX4 (and an Axius Ultra) off ebay last night. I have been tossing around the idea of having the bow sent out to someone to tune or "super tune" the bow. along with some new strings, new sight, and rest. Looking for a recommendation on someone and if it's worth it/past experiences? I don't possess the gear to do it myself and shops are closed around here. Figured now would be a great time to try it out. I heard good things about Ontarget7 but haven't seen him around lately. Anyone else ?

Thanks-
John

rj2

WKR
i would spend the money on a press and diy drawboard and learn to tune yourself. so much nicer being able to tweak everything on the fly. otherwise John's Custom Archery aka breathn is as good as it gets.

ahlgringo

WKR
I agree, do it yourself. Bow tuning is fun, and so much more rewarding. There are enough YouTube vids- walk you through most everything. Dudleys stuff is pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ucsdryder

WKR
I think ontarget7 is shooting an rx4 this year so he’d be a good option. Shipping each way will cost 50 bucks, plus the cost of strings, install and tuning which is probably 150-200. Double that for 2 bows and you’re in it pretty deep. A last chance press will run you less than 400. A diy draw board will cost around 35 bucks.
Lots of youtube videos to get you going. I know which way I would go!

B137C441-53BA-4C9C-BB10-528630F1B60F.jpeg

OP
Ten Bears

Ten Bears

WKR
I just moved into a new house and have 5 projects going including my workshop in the garage. If I was closer to having some of these done I would buy a press and give a go.

MT257

WKR
I don’t think a supertune price is necessary. Just get it tuned. It’s the same thing if your shop knows what it’s doing at a fraction of the cost.

OP
Ten Bears

Ten Bears

WKR
my shop isn't open. my local one is shutdown until at least the 17th. It's been two months for archery shops closed here. Hoping they can make it through.

Squirrels

WKR
Get the stuff and start doing it yourself. And to be honest, someone can take your bow and "supertune" it but you really need to be the one shooting it through the tuning process. Two people may get wildly different results when it comes to the shooting part. Sure someone can get all the timing and specs dialed in but the ultimate part of tuning is arrow flight.

madkaw284

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t bother, whoever you decide to send it to will tune the bow to him, it needs to be tuned to you.

positivepete!

Lil-Rokslider
Sending a bow out for a "supertune" I think is just plain silly. Let's say I tune up your bow for you by hand. I may get the bow to shoot bullet holes through paper and be fully set up and ready to rock. Now you take that bow and shoot it and you get a nasty tear. Why? I could be using a different release, I could be putting facial pressure on the strings, I could be putting different hand pressure to it. Now are these bad things? Yes and no. If you shoot bad habits but consistantly you can get good results. My bad or good habits dont transfer to you through your bow. Learning your setup and having the ability to tweak it yourself is key to getting to that next level of archery. The understanding of why something happens vs having someone else "fix" it will go much further. Now with that comes buying gear that ain't cheap and I get not everyone can have a bow shop in the basement. No matter what you do make sure to ask questions and learn from a group of knowledgeable individuals.

OP
Ten Bears

Ten Bears

WKR
I plan on hitting OR up today.

I understand having someone supertune your bow doesn’t solve every issue. But I am not setting a bow press, draw board, paper, etc anytime soon in the garage and my local ones are shutdown. Hence why I am interested in trying it out.

nphunter

WKR
I agree with what others have said if your really that into archery and want to learn then spend the money on equipment and learn. If your not interested in learning, sending your bow to someone to have it tuned is a good option as well, it will not be quite the same as self-tuning by someone who is good at tuning, but it will be set up very well, much better than just taking it down to the local shop.

Park-N-Sons archery use to offer that service and Tom is about the best string builder in the business.

We must have been posting at the same time, OR seems to know his stuff as well and should be able to get you dialed in too.

rj2

WKR

I understand having someone supertune your bow doesn’t solve every issue. But I am not setting a bow press, draw board, paper, etc anytime soon in the garage and my local ones are shutdown. Hence why I am interested in trying it out.

I made a diy pipe clamp bow press with oak 2x4 fingers that I can do just about anything to my bow (just can't break bow all the way down), probably cost me 30 bucks. then i made a diy draw board for even cheaper. They both just hang up on the wall right next to my garage door, taking up no space at all, and I throw em in the back of my truck any time I plan on tweaking while I shoot. Ive shot through paper but anymore I usually skip it and go right to getting broadheads and FP to fly perfect together.

I've never been to a bow shop, all self taught but only been shooting about 6 years. I can't even imagine how much I've saved by just learning to do it myself. I am far from an expert, hell I hardly know what I'm doing half the time, but its fun to try haha I set up all the bows for my dad, brother, friends etc. now. That way I can always hit em up for a favor when I need :p

Before I had a press and draw board I’d get mine supertuned as well, the guy would shoot bullet holes with the hooter shooter I’d get it home and tweak the rest a couple clicks here or there to get bareshafts to fly for me, then check with fixed heads at 70. Yes it wasn’t set to my exact grip but literally a couple clicks of the rest and I was money, just as good as I can do myself at home. If my fixed heads and fletched are together at 50+ I’m happy whether I do it myself or the kid at the shop. If I was a one bow/string set a year guy I wouldn’t think twice about just sending it out to a guy like OR, once you get into having a few bows your swapping strings on it makes sense to do it yourself if you have the time

Brendan

WKR
Agree with both above - Take OR Archer up on his offer. But, I'd make sure you put 100-200 shots through both bows before sending them out. Want to make sure any settling of the strings happens first (if any) so you get the most out of the tune.

Then when you get the bow back - minor tweaking might be needed based on your form, but you should be able to handle that with minor rest corrections at that point, but don't expect it to be perfect.

What you'll find - if you go through this a couple times, or have to deal with a shop a couple times, you'll find out that buying a press and building a draw board can actually be cheaper and easier in the long run, but if you're pressed for time ship it out.