Bow vice question

I am in the process of buying a bow vice for my home shop and I am looking for some opinions. I am looking at the OMP or the ram micro. My question is I am also planning on buying the brite sight sight leveler. If I buy the brite sight what do you need the fancy bow vice for? Could I get a Apple bow vice and be happy?

jmez

WKR
I'd just buy the Ram. The Apple type vices will work but it is difficult to level the bow in them. When you tighten the screws they always move the bow just enough to put the level about 1/4 bubble off. I have one and it is a PITA.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
I'd just buy the Ram. The Apple type vices will work but it is difficult to level the bow in them. When you tighten the screws they always move the bow just enough to put the level about 1/4 bubble off. I have one and it is a PITA.

Is it fairly easy to level the bow with the ram? Or is it better to have the brite site leveler?

OR Archer

WKR
I use the Versa Cradle or OMP vise in our shop. It works great with virtually any bow when going through the set up process. I personally wouldn't waste money on the Brite Site leveler. You'll get way more use out of an actual bow vise than a sight leveler. Not to mention I think it's much more accurate to set the levels on a sight while it's mounted to a bow. I use the Hamskea leveler for that process.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
I use the Versa Cradle or OMP vise in our shop. It works great with virtually any bow when going through the set up process. I personally wouldn't waste money on the Brite Site leveler. You'll get way more use out of an actual bow vise than a sight leveler. Not to mention I think it's much more accurate to set the levels on a sight while it's mounted to a bow. I use the Hamskea leveler for that process.

Thanks! Have you used the ram? I have heard that it is better than the omp. I would like to buy once, cry once.

If your looking for a cheaper vice, I purchased this vice from harbor freight and clamped it to my bench and it works great.

2-1/2" Table Swivel Vise

Pick up a bolt that fits in the stabilizer hole and one nut to secure it against the bow and your set.

If you would like some pictures I can send some with my bow in the vice.

-Gibson

OP
WyoBowhunter21
If your looking for a cheaper vice, I purchased this vice from harbor freight and clamped it to my bench and it works great.

2-1/2" Table Swivel Vise

Pick up a bolt that fits in the stabilizer hole and one nut to secure it against the bow and your set.

If you would like some pictures I can send some with my bow in the vice.

-Gibson

I have seen that one. It's s good idea. I hate taking my stab out all the time. I thought gut about something similar but I am able to buy a vice right now so I think I will go that route. But thanks!

jmez

WKR
I haven't used a Ram vice. I'm going to replace my Apple vice with the OMP versa cradle. I've used one at a shop and they are nice. For the price difference I'd go OMP. I also use the Hamskea tool for leveling the sight and setting the third axis. Great tool and easy to use.

OR Archer

WKR
Does the omp have a way to get it perfect? I liked it in the store the other day and I have no experience with the ram either.

I just use a 4ft level to get the bow plum. Once I get the bow level I can install the Hamskea level and get it squared up and verify with the 4ft level. From here I can start doing my axis leveling. Only takes a couple minutes for this set up process.

Dameon

WKR
I just bought an apple vice and I used a 4ft bubble level in the past. I was quicker with the 4ft bubble level. The apple vice just doesn't hold my bow steady enough. Luckily I got a good deal on it, so I am not out that much. It is just one more thing I will have to upgrade in the future. I wish I just saved my money for the OMP or the Ram.

I use the yellow apple and it works fine for me when leveling arrows, d loop etc

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I use my big bench vise with plywood over the the steel jaws and some soft cloth over the plywood to hold the riser. On one bow with a carbon riser I used a long piece of bolt (could be all-thread) in the stabilizer hole to clamp to. The bow all gets leveled and plumbed with a 4' level. I use a spirit (8") level for setting the bow sight first, second and third axis adjustments after that. Good luck!