Bow weight

IaArcher

FNG
Would a 60 # Matthews Triax be ok poundage wise on elk? Currently running Goldtip XT Hunters 55/75 cut at 28" with QAD 100gr broad heads. Arrow weight of 385gr currently which I'm sure is on the light side. Would love to here your thoughts.

OR Archer

WKR
Bow poundage is fine however your arrow weight needs to increase. An arrow around 450 gr for your specs would be more adequate.

Bow poundage is fine however your arrow weight needs to increase. An arrow around 450 gr for your specs would be more adequate.

Hey brother do you mind telling me where I can kill and elk in eastern Oregon? Ha ha Ha joking of course just saw your rockslide name and I couldn’t resist the question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbehredt

WKR
On the lighter side for sure. That said I shoot the same arrow at 60# and with a good fixed broadhead I’ve never had an issue. Silver flames have been 100% pass thrus. None of that trying to blow through shoulder nonsense though. I’d bet that a plurality of elk have fallen to the gold tip hunter arrow.

OP
I

IaArcher

FNG
What is the best way to get to 450 gr? Should I go to 340 shafts with weights on inserts or go up to 125 gr heads? I would like to hear what everyone runs for arrow setups. Thanks for the help

GregB

WKR
This year I ran Black Eagle Rampages 300 27" 125 grn broadhead total weight was around 446 grains. I also have Victory VForce 350, I added 50 grain brass weight to the insert to get to 459 grains. A 125 grain broadhead and 50 grains of brass on the insert should get you to a good weight.

Bbell12

WKR
OP, I’m in the same boat. My set up is 60# @ 29” DL and shoots about 249 FPS, which is slower than what I would like but I’m not putting anymore money into this bow so it is what it is. I ran a 400gr set up this year and next year plan on adding a 75 gr insert to make up for the lack of speed. From what I’ve read, the added weight should make up for my lack of velocity but I’d be curious to see what other people think as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run .300 XT Hunters cut 28" with 100 grain brass insert and 100 grain WAC Em 4 blade right at 500 grains. The inserts also snap off at 50 grains. I'm shooting 72# out of a matthews halon though. Never chrono'd it because I really don't care that much.

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Tapatalk

Rampage 350’s cut at 27 1/4”, 50grn inserts , 125 grn heads total 425grn. Im shooting #60 @ 28” draw

bignocks

FNG
food for thought. Traditional guys tend to shoot less poundage and significantly slower. With a big heavy arrow and cut on contact head they are blowing through animals. Shoot what you feel comfortable with and with any good shot you will have a dead elk.

With your bow weight, draw length and the same GT arrow I shot a bull moose, 4 bull elk, one grizzly bear, quite a few deer and a few black bears. Penetration was not an issue. These days use 475 gr arrows as I like the Easton Injexions better due to more consistent spine. Good luck.

jaximus

FNG
im curious as well, im wacked a pile of whitetails with my setup, but i designed it with the hopes of an elk one day. looks like that dream may come in the next couple years. the bow has changed, but the arrow hasnt. 29/60 e35 with a 475gr gold tip xt hunter, 18% foc. for whitetails i mix it up between fixed and mech heads, but for elk it would be my trust black hornets and iron wills out front. seems to fit well with what you guys are saying

60 pound draw is more than enough to kill an elk, and realistically any other animal in North America, including Moose. You have to think, look how many women, youth, or guys with shoulder injuries have killed big game with lesser setups!

The key to having an ethical setup at 60 or less pounds, is going to be your arrow and broadhead choice. I think your GTs are going to be a little light. Will they work, on a good to perfect day, yes they will. But I would prepare for worst case shots.

Personal choice would be an Easton Axis with 50gr brass, 5mm FMJs, or any Deep 6 offering. Arrow lengths will vary total mass weight, but for 60 pounds, I'd shoot for 425-475 grains. DONT WORRY ABOUT SPEED. plenty of people have got pass throughs on elk with recurves. Their key, a heavy arrow with cut on contact broadhead. Focus on a good heavy arrow, and a good sharp broadhead that tunes and flys well, and you will be just fine.

OP
I

IaArcher

FNG
I have been shooting this same setup for my last 3 bows and it just seems to work on whitetails. Im new to the weighted inserts so I'll be checking into these. Thanks for the recommendations, it gives me a place to start.