Bowhunt for 'bou in '20 or '21?

Good afternoon Rokslide,

I have wanted to chase caribou for a long time, I'm a young guy and finally am in a job where I can start putting some extra money away for hunts.

Thinking of chasing caribou first, I just have no clue where to start. I kind of like the idea of Newfoundland as the woodland caribou are gorgeous, then again Alaska has always had that appeal, however I think my first trip up there will be for blacktails.

Any resource you first timers have used to plan your first major out of state hunt?

Also, if anyone has a recommendation for a cost effective outfitter in NF for caribou-I'd love to talk! Been doing some research (outfitters websites) but of course it's tough to make much of a determination based off of just web searches.

I am going to get a list of 3-4 outfitters in NF and ask for a list of past clients, would love to pick their brains.

Trial153

WKR
Cost effective and woodland caribou cant be used in the same sentence at this point.
I have a woody Tag this year after a three year wait. If money is consideration youd be better off in Alaska, hire a transporter and get flown into caribou county. I will be in Alaska next August. And while it isnt cheap it can be done all in cheaper then a woodland caribou Tag to be had in one of the better central zones of the NL

OP
Jacob Chapman
Cost effective and woodland caribou cant be used in the same sentence at this point.
I have a woody Tag this year after a three year wait. If money is consideration youd be better off in Alaska, hire a transporter and get flown into caribou county. I will be in Alaska next August. And while it isnt cheap it can be done all in cheaper then a woodland caribou Tag to be had in one of the better central zones of the NL

Thanks for the tip sir. I honestly havent researched transporter costs at all-I'd very interested to see what's out there.

I'm looking for a remote, backcountry bowhunt. Always heard of the haul road in AK, but I'd rather be away from people. Transporter may be a great option!

Matt79

Lil-Rokslider
A few buddys and I are booked with moose valley outfitters in Newfoundland for moose/woodland bou combo in 2 yrs. top notch outfit with high success on both. Another friend is hunting with Effords for bou this year.

Trial153

WKR
A few buddys and I are booked with moose valley outfitters in Newfoundland for moose/woodland bou combo in 2 yrs. top notch outfit with high success on both. Another friend is hunting with Effords for bou this year.
That's where I will be in few weeks as well, got both tags too.

OP
Jacob Chapman
Looking into the Brooks range potentially, '21 looking likely as we are buying a house, need time to get some funds together for good optics

soggybtmboys

Lil-Rokslider
Looking into the Brooks range potentially, '21 looking likely as we are buying a house, need time to get some funds together for good optics
If you are looking at the Brooks and thinking bowhunting, I'd suggest staying on the south side of the range. We were went on the north slope last year, Howard Pass area and our guys who brought bows struck out, they went 0 for 4. Group ahead of us, bowhunter failed as well. I am interested in caribou with a bow, but will be looking to do it south of the Brooks, perhaps 40 Mile area. North Side of the Brooks, there just isnt any cover.

OP
Jacob Chapman
If you are looking at the Brooks and thinking bowhunting, I'd suggest staying on the south side of the range. We were went on the north slope last year, Howard Pass area and our guys who brought bows struck out, they went 0 for 4. Group ahead of us, bowhunter failed as well. I am interested in caribou with a bow, but will be looking to do it south of the Brooks, perhaps 40 Mile area. North Side of the Brooks, there just isnt any cover.

Thanks for the heads up I appreciate it!

shanny28757

Lil-Rokslider

I debated bringing a bow this year to the north slope and opted not to. 2 of 3 bulls we killed could have been done with a bow. It was completely by random chance, but it could’ve been done.

With that said I wouldn’t plan on a bow hunt up there. I think we just got lucky.

OP
Jacob Chapman
I debated bringing a bow this year to the north slope and opted not to. 2 of 3 bulls we killed could have been done with a bow. It was completely by random chance, but it could’ve been done.

With that said I wouldn’t plan on a bow hunt up there. I think we just got lucky.

hmm well I'll need to readjust-I don't have any appetite to take one with a rifle. I don't begrudge anyone who does of course, I'm just a bowhunter is all.

Thanks!

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
We talked to two groups of bowhunters in Kotzebue last week as we were preparing to get flown into the Brooks Range on our caribou hunt. They went 1 for 8 in total. The only caribou that was shot was taken at 85 yards. Both groups had a very hard time getting closer than 100 yards because of the lack of cover in Unit 23. That being said, two of us shot our bulls with rifles at 56 yards, as our stalk worked out well and they walked right into us. They were going to get closer but we didn't need that to happen. MTC.

mintonmj

FNG
I am considering booking with Moose Valley Outfitters soon. Has anyone heard any bad reviews on them at all?

I was also considering Red Indian Lake Outfitters at one point, but now leaning toward MVO.

If you only bring a bow with you and have a general understanding of checking wind directions and reading the animals caribou with a Bow is so doable. If you read hinting DIY public land Elk everybody says nope, chances are slim to none but again set your mind to it very doable as well. We’ve hunted both haul rd and air taxi for caribou and what is a 100% guarantee is both are a crap shoot but hey your in Alaska we were successful on both neither were easy and both done with bows. So if your looking for say an Easy 100% guaranteed hunt caribou might not be it, if your looking for an adventure and willing to work hard Alaska caribou are awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jacob Chapman
If you only bring a bow with you and have a general understanding of checking wind directions and reading the animals caribou with a Bow is so doable. If you read hinting DIY public land Elk everybody says nope, chances are slim to none but again set your mind to it very doable as well. We’ve hunted both haul rd and air taxi for caribou and what is a 100% guarantee is both are a crap shoot but hey your in Alaska we were successful on both neither were easy and both done with bows. So if your looking for say an Easy 100% guaranteed hunt caribou might not be it, if your looking for an adventure and willing to work hard Alaska caribou are awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm after the adventure for sure. I am going to be successful when I do eventually get up there, as part of my goal is to enjoy the entire experience. That said, I do fully plan on shooting a caribou by putting in as much work as needed. Thats success to me