Bowhunter Education

Have you taken a bowhunter education course?

• Yes - Required

Votes: 19 40.4%
  • Yes - Not Required

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • No

Votes: 21 44.7%

• Total voters

mhouck06

FNG
I asked this question on a couple other forums I belong to and I am interested to see the responses and if they differ per forum.

How many of you have taken a bowhunter education course?

I am from PA and although we do not require bowhunter education, we do offer a course... Living and hunting here my whole life, I actually do not know a single person that has taken the course in PA.

I decided to take PA's online offering just to see what it was like. After 15 years of archery hunting and having amazing mentors along the way, I can say the course was overly basic and relatively brutal to get through. I think any 3 hour online course would be brutal though. That being said, I think someone coming in brand new would greatly benefit from the course. Had I not had the mentors that I do, I think that course would have been a tremendous resource. Taking it, just got me curious as to how many other people have taken it. It seems only a few states require it.

So how many of you have taken a bowhunter ed course?
If you did take it were you required to for any state or specific reason?

DanimalW

WKR
In Wisconsin we have a hunters education course that’s required. I believe they covered some archery stuff the 20+ years ago that I took it. But honestly, how does archery safety really differ from firearm safety rules? Other than basic understanding of the specific weapon that you’re using…. I guess I wouldn’t know how to operate a crossbow without someone giving me a brief overview.

Are you asking this question as hunter ed or specifically just a Bowhunter ed?

I know you ask Bowhunter ed, but I don't honestly know if my state even offers a seperate BH ed course.

I'd likely fail.

I believe there may be some states/provinces/countries that require a bow hunter ed certificate to purchase an archery license regardless Of where you are from or your level of experience. I know it used to be that way.

I have taken the NBEF course in VA and also the NBEF Instructors course in WV. Due to some administrative bs and changes I never did get to teach.

I do think it is worth the time particularly for new folks. I have used it as an intro for a couple youth. I have not yet gone through the on-line version however.

Last edited:
I believe there may be some states/provinces/countries that require a bow hunter ed certificate to purchase an archery license regardless Of where you are from or your level of experience. I know it used to be that way.

I have taken the NBEF course in VA and also the NBEF Instructors course in WV. Due to some administrative bs and changes I never did get to teach.

I knew they were a requirement in some areas, I didn't know our state offered a certification.

I know you can take courses online in other states that qualify.

WCB

WKR
I voted Yes- but not required. The state does not require it (MN) however I participated in park and city hunts and had to have it a long with a proficiency test. IMO huge waste of time. The only cool thing they had were little deer figurines with the one side being cut out with all the organs visible. You could stick a long needle through and tell what organs would be hit. Even though I understood angles and aiming points at the time I thought it was cool

Trial153

WKR
Took it in 1990 in NY, at the time they have a shooting proficiency test as well. I was 14, I recall it being a positive experience.

def90

WKR
Colorado you just take the regular hunters safety class, that way you can hunt with a firearm as well. They do offer a bowhunter safety cert but I don’t see the point of taking a class and then be limited to the manner of take.

MHB

FNG
I am a Yes, but not required.

I was looking for more education on bow hunting, blood trailing etc. and did not have a bow hunting mentor. There are several states and provinces that require a bow hunting ed specific cert for any archery method of take. I agree that most of the content seems to be common sense, but the number of accidents per year increasing it would seem valuable to take the class.

I have since become a state certified instructor and will have both my children participate in a Bow hunter ED class. I feel that the field exercises provide skills that may be hard learned lessons if someone doesn't have a mentor.

I also try to provide archery specific mentoring to as many people as possible each year. I currently average 2 to 3 people per year.

Rich M

WKR
I had to take bowhunter education back in 1982 - even though I had been bow hunting out of state for several years at that point. It's nothing new.

I was one of about 25 original instructors in CO when bowhunter eduction was introduced back around 1977. Several instructors from the NBEF (National Bowhunter Eduction Foundation) flew to Grand Junction, CO and gave the instructor class to about 25 of us who were interested in teaching it. One of the NBEF instructors happened to be Tink Nathan...quite the character. Anyway we taught as a separate entity from the Colorado Hunter Ed program that was administered by the Colorado Division of Wildlife. Eventually, (pure guess of late 1980s) Bowhunter Ed was incorporated as a separate course under the administration of the CO Div of Wildlife Hunter Ed program. I was a Hunter Ed instructor as well and taught both courses, but really preferred teaching Bowhunter Ed as we had a 1/2 day field session following the 1/2 day classroom section. Blood trailing, tree-stand placement & safety, shooting bows, equipment, broadhead sharpening/safety and shot placement were emphasized. Game care (getting an elk broken down, cooled down and packed off the mountain by yourself) where covered. The course had a whole lot more than safety in it. As a side note, I always incorporated some of the Bow Ed material in the regular Hunter Ed class...shot placement, blood trailing and game care specifically.

Last edited: