Bowhunter starts fire with arrow

jmez

WKR
Late summer is no joke on the plains. We had a fire started near out house several years back that burned thousands of acres. Was started by a guy picking up rocks with a Bobcat. His bucket hit a rock, threw a spark and away it went.

I heard a story from an old outfitter that the forests were closed to even horse traffic one year due to fire danger, they figured steel shoes would spark possibly. Not sure if its true but makes a good story. Good thing mine are barefoot most of the time

boom

WKR
But honestly, a friend sent me shards of flint (chert?) and a steel striker. It’s a bitch starting a fire without a piece of char-cloth. Just striking spark on tinder? I would die in the wilderness Frozen if I had to rely on the flint.

NMframed

Lil-Rokslider
I heard a story from an old outfitter that the forests were closed to even horse traffic one year due to fire danger, they figured steel shoes would spark possibly. Not sure if its true but makes a good story. Good thing mine are barefoot most of the time
This is 100% true. I’ve been riding in the dark many times with others in front of me and seen sparks fly from horse shoes on rocks.

Rich M

WKR
I always questioned fire being started by sparks from trailer chains on asphalt, but that's true... Why not an arrow.