Bowhunter tracking wounded elk attacked by grizzly

That makes me so happy that we don't have grizzly bears in Colorado at this time. I was thinking about that last week while I was camped in the back country. Hunting in Grizzly country means you play by a whole new set of rules. I have respect for all of you guys that deal with that on a daily basis while hunting.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Where I hunt deer there's a lot of Grizzlies. They were snaring and Collaring them this year here are a few pics. We had a sow and two cubs come within 50 yards of us. Not FUN!
IMG_02001.jpg

IMG_02011.jpg

Here is a pic my buddy took of two grizzlies at about 700 yards
IMG_02271.jpg

swat8888

WKR
I hate griz. Seem to see them every time I'm sheep hunting, but they have been pretty easily scared off by me waving trekking poles above my head and yelling at them.

I have only hunted elk 3 times in ID, but have seen them every time. Not a big advocate of well if we see a lot of them, there's enough to hunt. But maybe it's time to consider delisting them.

Slim Jim

WKR
I'm so glad that we don't have bears in NV except around the sierras which are mostly CA. It helps to sleep well in the backcountry

Mthunter

FNG
Very nerve racking! Last year I stood on a rock out cropping for three hour after I was ten yards from one. He came down the bank stood in the trail huffing. Then his ass dropped down and started to piss. It was not fun. I pulled my pistol ( a 44 ) and backed up to the rock. I stood there because I didn't know where he was now.

I have been in the backcountry of MT and have seen two different grizzlies on the same day. On another day I ran into three piles of grizzly scat within 15 minutes. I didn't care if there were 400 class bulls in there, I started making noise and left. I've read that 70% of grizzly attacks happen to bow hunters hunting elk - very nerve racking when hunting solo. Then add wolves in the mix.
Last year I bugled at sunrise on a ridge top, had a pack of wolves about 3/4 of a mile away immediately respond with howls. Within 7 minutes they were below me about 150-200 yards away howling in a pocket of timber. It made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!
This is my first year hunting in coastal Oregon, and I enjoy not having to worry about wolves or grizzlies.

vcb

WKR
No Dought. I'm a hardcore archery, backcountry hunter. I drop into the wilderness for 5 days at a time and it's so nice solo'ing it here in colorado. Grizz would throw a whole different spin on it.

When hunting Elk in Montana, we see Grizz sign constantly and I won't call when I'm alone. I worry about the possibility of running into one, but it hasn't slowed us up down.

On the same subject there was a guy hunting near Big Sky last week who reperted calling one of those nasty buggers in with a cow call.

Last edited: