Bowhunting and gaiters

90% of the time I wear gaiters in the bush. Mostly this is for snakes as where I hunt (in Australia) they are everywhere, pretty much year round except for maybe 2-3 months in the middle of winter.

There are quite a few threads which I have read about gaiters and noise. What I am more interested in is how bowhunters that wear gaiters manage noise if they are taking their shoes off. I'll always drop my shoes for the final approach or even if im in an ambush position so I can move quieter, but are there gaiters that you can take off quietly? All the gaiters i've come across are velcro and have a strap that goes under the shoe.

Thanks Matty

The Velcro does not need to be ’undone’ to slide it above a boot...if the gater’s strap has been removed. I know of many folks who run gaters without the strap for safety, sound, etc. I have tried it on one of my sets as well; I didn’t have any trouble keeping them in place with the straps removed.

OP
M
Thanks, my gaiters have no strap (due to them wearing out from wearing trail shoes instead of boots with them, I feel likke the top of them won't pass over my calves though.

What snake proof gaiters are you wearing? I’m looking for a good pair to run with leather boots. All snake boots I have tried are shit.

OP
M
What snake proof gaiters are you wearing? I’m looking for a good pair to run with leather boots. All snake boots I have tried are shit.

I use sea to summit quagmire gaiters. They get used heaps and I probably get 5-8 years out of a pair. The only downside is they are loud when walking through brush.