Bowhunting Cows

poboy2214

FNG
Hey guys-
Looking for some tips for a first time bowhunter. I've been hunting elk in Colorado for a few years now, but this will be my first attempt with a bow. Long story short, I've got a couple points I'm going to burn on a List A rifle tag which means I can only get a cow tag for archery season. Seems most info out there is geared toward hunting bulls, especially in the rut so I'm wondering what tactics you guys use and whether you'd focus on going after them early in the season before the rut or try calling them in late September. I only live about 3 hours from where I'm going to hunt so I was thinking I'd spend some time in August locating them and try to take a week when the season opens to spot and stalk, maybe use some calf calls to try and pull them in. I just downloaded the elk nut app to work on my call game, so that's a work in progress. Any advice is appreciated.

I wouldn’t overthink it. I always find cows when I’m looking for bulls too. Some things are common between the two in terms of needs in September. This year I had two groups where the cows were the first to start talking to my bugle even though there was a bull with them.