Bowhunting Elk Bergdorf area Idaho .

Hi , Iam new to this page and hoping get a little insight to a couple of areas some of you may have experience in , let me explain myself please . Iam from Australia and last year was my first time bowhunting Elk , I learnt to call off You Tube watching and listening to as many Elk videos as I could find this was the only way I could learn . I first hunted Utah for some days OTC tag public land pre rut , which I was fortunate to cow call a Bull into 20 yards which I harvested , this was the only Elk I saw . Then I hunted the Mc Call zone Idaho for a 2 week period , I hunted hard and fell flat on my face several times hiking threw all that dead fall timber up there . In the 2 weeks I never laid eyes on an Elk nor heard a Bull bugle . Iam coming back again this September , I hunt by myself and respect any information other local hunters have given me , actually a few hunters I ran into were amazed to see an Australian bowhunter wandering around back in there by himself especially considering Iam 63 years old . Iam serious and have bowhunted all my life and give it 100% effort . Iam looking at moving around a bit more this year and further north in the unit above Burgdorf , has anyone on this forum hunted in those areas and your opinions please . Iam not asking for honey holes , its just I don't want to waist energy in fruitless areas .

KurtR

WKR
I have spent 4 years in the McCall zone and got nothing there won’t be a fifth. Changing plans and moving areas on advice from locals. My brother lives in Idaho now. It a beautiful area but I am over sunsets and scenery and want to kill a elk. Sorry not much help but that’s my experience there.

OP
ozziehunter
Hi Kurt , thank you for your reply , may I ask you if you hunted Mc Call zone what areas in that zone did you hunt . I hunted near upper Payette Lake , saw Elk sign but not an animal was seen . I was really disappointed not have even heard a Bull bugle , lots of thick country , a few rubs and droppings that was it . Personally I would have been very happy just to see animals .

KurtR

WKR
I sent you a pm even though i didnt kill anything dont want to put areas on blast on public forums