Bowhunting handgun

Are you stuck on the Glock train? I pack a SW 329PD .44 and for a hunting backup it's a good choice to be honest. You're already capped to 10 rounds, so capacity isn't much to worry about here. It weighs 3oz more than the glock (empty) and with specials is incredibly easy to shoot. Magnum loads suck, but it's nice knowing if you find one of your California Grizzlies you have a chance to do more than just piss it off.

E Butler

Lil-Rokslider
I run the glock 29 with a mag extension to get all my fingers on the grip. I don’t really notice it on my hip when hunting. I use a padded holster from bullseye holsters so I can swap it from my hip to my pack with ease. If you don’t think that is important I was the only one in camp that had my gun on me when this cat stalk into camp right behind me. After multiple warning shots we had to kill it. The glock 29 is not to big that you want to take it off do to weight and comfort.

Attachments

• 2B381E25-835F-4AE7-8BA6-C935F83B3DBE.jpeg
    2B381E25-835F-4AE7-8BA6-C935F83B3DBE.jpeg
    243.9 KB · Views: 57

WKR
I run the glock 29 with a mag extension to get all my fingers on the grip. I don’t really notice it on my hip when hunting. I use a padded holster from bullseye holsters so I can swap it from my hip to my pack with ease. If you don’t think that is important I was the only one in camp that had my gun on me when this cat stalk into camp right behind me. After multiple warning shots we had to kill it. The glock 29 is not to big that you want to take it off do to weight and comfort.
Nice cat, but what'd that big feller behind it score? Looks about 230-240 net to me.

Oregonboy

WKR
I carry a Glock 19x, which is a 19 slide with a 17 handle. It fits my hand a little better than the 19 did.

E Butler

Lil-Rokslider
I wish a lot more than that. He had a couple holes through his guts so he smelled to bad to pick him up.

minengr

FNG
I have a 43 and a 19. If starting from scratch, I'd seriously consider the 43x and the Shield arms 15rd mags.

I second this. The 29 with extended Mag is the way to go. The paddled holster is also the way to go in my experience. I carried my 29 far more this season than the previous. I tried the chest holster but with a bino harness, it just wasn’t for me. Honestly, I don’t think it really matters what caliber you go with as long as your shoot it well, actually carry it with you and it’s comfortable. If it’s not comfortable, it will stay back at camp or in the truck more times than not.

TheGDog

WKR
Get the G29, and make sure to get the Pearce Magazine Bottom Plate Extension that gives more purchase/grip so your pinky has a place to grasp upon. It's not very bad for recoil at all.

To me, it felt same, although a lil more muzzle flip up, as shooting my Ruger .357 4" bbl with a stout hunting load.

It would be beneficial though to find a load using flash-suppressed powder if you can find it. It does make a pretty fireball when shot with a typical powder!

Then I got the Razco holster for under the Marsupial bino Harness.

Attachments

• 125484054_372290063864104_3807396921370364156_o.jpg
    125484054_372290063864104_3807396921370364156_o.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Fistful of FireBall.jpg
    Fistful of FireBall.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 16

TheGDog

WKR
California limits your choices. Unless you bought standard mags a few years ago during freedom week, your stuck with 10 rounds. The 19 is a great carry choice, I carried a 23 for a short time. The 29 of course will be gtg as well. I currently have a 20 and have aiwb but, it's really an owb gun. Either will do what you need it to do. Just remember, ccw or not, no firearms while bowhunting in CA.

FGC, section 4370(a) states that “a person taking or attempting to take deer during such archery season shall neither carry, nor have under his or her immediate control, any firearm of any kind.”

I carry one any damn way. I am 50+ with a mortgage and a mouth to feed and go out solo, so mother-phuq them with their idiotic rules. For example you now CAN carry a pistol if archery hunting for Bear. Well.. I always bring along a Bear Tag anyway, so I figure, that should cover my bases legally.

Besides... you're a phuqing idiot if you can't look at the critter post-mortem and determine if the cause of death was arrow or pistol. Their argument is that somebody will shoot an animal with the pistol... then try to shoe an arrow thru the hole caused by the projectile. Dumbest isht I ever heard. You will CLEARLY have a difference to the wounding post mortem vs alive, in terms of a pistol shot and the sanguination that would or would not occur in the tissue accordingly.

Wingshooter

Lil-Rokslider
If you're limited to 10 rounds The Glock 48 would keep you legal without buying extra mags. I have one it disappears easily. If I am in grizzly country I would go for the Glock 20 or a Smith& Wesson 629 I have both and it's a constant mental struggle as to which will get to go.

Dennis

WKR
Considering, reliability, weight, cost I would also add size, shoot ability, round capacity and options such as lights. For any handgun to be useful you must have it with you and it must be reliable. Next I would want ammo that is reliable for the task at hand. In the outdoors I think that means ammunition that penetrates and more rounds downrange might be helpful. I think all of us are searching for that perfect handgun and there are some great choices listed and we all have our reasons.

My current choice is the Sig 365XL and the standard 365 as they are reliable, light enough, costs are reasonable, they are small enough, I shoot them well enough, plenty of capacity and I can add options. If you have a 10 round limit in CA you might go with the standard 365 with the standard 10 round magazine. Then you can use their 12 or15 round magazines if and where you need them. You do lose the option of the optic sight with the standard I believe. When carrying in the woods I switch over to more of a penetration load such as the Buffalo Bore 9mm Plus P 147 grain Outdoors man. Good luck and stay safe!

Rob5589

WKR
I carry one any damn way. I am 50+ with a mortgage and a mouth to feed and go out solo, so mother-phuq them with their idiotic rules. For example you now CAN carry a pistol if archery hunting for Bear. Well.. I always bring along a Bear Tag anyway, so I figure, that should cover my bases legally.

Besides... you're a phuqing idiot if you can't look at the critter post-mortem and determine if the cause of death was arrow or pistol. Their argument is that somebody will shoot an animal with the pistol... then try to shoe an arrow thru the hole caused by the projectile. Dumbest isht I ever heard. You will CLEARLY have a difference to the wounding post mortem vs alive, in terms of a pistol shot and the sanguination that would or would not occur in the tissue accordingly.
The irony is, I can make hits at further ranges with my bow than a pistol.

TheGDog

WKR
YEah... cause you don't have to sell your first-born child in order to practice enough when it's Archery. But with pistol... ya know.

OP
L

Lamb

FNG
Thanks for all the replies. Still working through a bunch of rentals at ranges close to me. Unfortunately there are no g29s for rent any where around here and very little 10mm to try in a full sized gun. All things being equal id love the g48 or 43x for size but they are off roster and 3 times the price here in california. I also havnt died yet while not carrying a gun so i guess that is an option also. But i wpuld really like to have something with me during the 9 non deer season months of the year. Maybe i should just be a little less worried about whats out there. Appreciate everyones thoughts and ill try rent as many of the suggestions as i can. Cheers.

TheGDog

WKR
When I go to zones where I know there's not Bear and just Mtn Lion (D15).. and where my hike-ins are significant, I'll just take the Sig P238 with an OWB holster for the packs HipBelt, then use a Pocket holster to xfer it into my pants if I have to drop the pack in order to process an animal. That lil P238 is awesome.

EDIT: With hotter .380 loads it basically give ya .38 spl energy levels (289ft Lbs for BuffaloBores Lead-Free) that you almost conceal within just the palm of your hand!

Last edited:
OP
L

Lamb

FNG
Appreciate all the help. My ccw permit just got approved. Going to go with the g19. Id prefer the 48 but being off roster makes the cost unbearable. Didnt like the 43 as much as the 19 and Couldnt find a place to try a g29. I know i like the 19 so that was the ultimate deciding factor, they also have a good deal for military. If i head in to bigger country with bigger animals in a few years ill end up with a 20 as well. Cheers for the advice.