Bowhunting jacket for tall guys

cofen38

FNG
I've been looking for something for late season whitetail hunts and the sitka fanatic and first lite solitude both seem to fit the bill. Warm, quiet and windproof. The trouble is I'm 6'5 240lbs and I don't know that either one would fit.

Any tall guys out there have experience with either one? Or does anyone have any suggestions for jackets that would serve a similar function and also fit a tall frame?

Any help is very appreciated since I don't have anywhere to try either one of these on.

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

OP
C

cofen38

FNG
Also 6’5” but 250. Pnuma Waypoint is the way to go.
Yeah I was actually looking at their stuff too. How does the warmth compare? I don't mind something that's versatile, but definitely looking for something more late season dedicated.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Tall sized Sitka Stratus and then layer under accordingly. Much more versatile than the Fanatic as it is more comfortable over a broader range of temps.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
C

cofen38

FNG
Tall sized Sitka Stratus and then layer under accordingly. Much more versatile than the Fanatic as it is more comfortable over a broader range of temps.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

For sure. How cold have you worn the stratus?

I just got a custom jacket from Gray Wolf Woolens. It has insulation and a windproof lining. Outer fabric is wolfskin and it's quiet and soft. It fits great and seems warm enough for the coldest days of PA. Depending on the camo you want, that may be the way to go.

BigCam47

FNG
I second the 2xl fanatic. I am 6’4” 225 and lanky. 2xl fits my shoulders better and has enough length in the arms. Can’t beat how quiet and warm this system is!

I find the Shacket to be a versatile piece for many situations when a jacket alone is not enough or too much.

OP
C

cofen38

FNG
Probably colder than I'll ever find myself in so that's encouraging

ejp5281

FNG
I'm 6'-7" ~290#. I have a first lite sawtooth in 2x, and it does the job. It's lightweight and a bit snug, but the overall fit seems good. I am also looking at some heavier stuff of theirs like the solitude.

OP
C

cofen38

FNG
I'm 6'-7" ~290#. I have a first lite sawtooth in 2x, and it does the job. It's lightweight and a bit snug, but the overall fit seems good. I am also looking at some heavier stuff of theirs like the solitude.
I've heard first life's stuff tends to be longer in the sleeves, but I don't have any experience with that myself.

Welcome. I am 6’3” 250#. 37 inch sleeves and broad across the shoulders.

I have a solitude set. Plenty of room And length for me. A little bulky. With layers I have taken it down to the single digits. A 2xl fit me but I upped to 3xl to get more room for layers and to make it easier to put on over other clothes.

stratus is awesome and had plenty of sleeve length for me. It is like a soft shell with a fuzzy and quiet exterior. With thoughtful layers you could make it warm but mine left me a little chilled late in the north east season and I tend to use my subalpine pattern gear earlier so I sold it. Great stuff though. Agree with the comments on the fanatic. They are another level of performance and you should be able to find a set to try on. I ended up going FL because I wanted something a little more multiuse but the fanatic is a great choice.

For sure. How cold have you worn the stratus?

The stratus is a higher end better made jacket than the old Cabela’s Legacy Fleece jacket. I have the Cabela’s and can wear the jacket from 50 degrees with just a t shirt and layer to below freezing.

Last year I got a doe with my recurve and it was 15 degrees with a low single digit wind chill with gusts to 35 mph and steady about 20 mph. I wore a UA heavyweight base layer, UA Fleece pullover hoodie , cheap $25 lands end down vest and the jacket as my outer layer and was comfortable.

If the temp was lower I would have swapped the vest for my Eddie Bauer down hooded jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk