Bowhunting Mountain Goat in BC, 2021

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
Any gear standouts for you Trial? Or maybe gear you would my use again?
Looks like some of your gear was put to the test

Great question. Being a bit of gear nut I have gone over a couple things I would change, not many but a couple little things.

First a few standout pieces. Good gaiters were invaluable. The amount of debris finding it way into my lower pants and boots was significant. My gaiters worked very well preventing that.

The climbs up every day were both cold and sweltering hot at the same time. I found the sitka light weight core hoody to be ticket, it breathed excellent and would dry quick. This has become my go to baselayer for pretty much anything active.

Pants, Timberlines worked excellent. The added layers on the seat and knees were very helpful scrambling up creeks , more then once i found myself on my ass and knees, both intentionally and accidentally.
Zippered rain pants were a must have to start the morning climb as everything was wet. I used sitka cloud bursts and they were really good light weight yet full featured pants. I used the cloud burst jacket as well ...same deal worked excellent.
I use a bow sling cover to cover my cams and string and sight ect ........this time it paid for its self many times over. My bow took a beating on my pack and the cover/sling took the brunt on it. This was a must have.

Some changes I would make.
First, i am not sure about this one..... i would have to test it a bit. Few times i thought i would break my treking pole with how i was forced to use it. That said it came though fine. I might add an ice axe into the mix as either a replacement or an addition.

Gloves .... I used a thin pair of windstopper gloves. I would also carry a thin Leather glove to wear climbing as my hands took a beating.

I would change a little about my bow set up. I almost switched back to a quiverlizer before this hunt to save weight and not have the stabilizer sticking out when my bow was strapped to my pack.....that would have been the right call. My stabilizer caught on all kinds of shit going though alders and devils club.

Broadheads, I carried both fixed and mechanical heads in my quiver, next trip its just mechs..... wind, terrible footing , hard angles..... all point to needing all the forgiveness you can get in a set up. The head i used worked fantastic .

Maybe at some point i will write up a gear list for this hunt if people want it .

daddie63

WKR
That’s all great info thank you Trial. Things you don’t know till you’ve trie
I’d be interested in your gear list if you had the time to write it up.
thanks for your time

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
Gear list clothing :
Zamberlan Cougar boots
Farm to feet Ely mid weight / light weight
Sitka Stormfront Gaiters
Sitka Timberline pants
Sitka cloud burst pants
Sitka core light weight hoody
Sitka heavy weight hoody
Sitka jetstream vest
Sitka kevlin lite puffy jacket
Sitka cloudburst jacket
Windstopper gloves,
Beanie and cap

Myserty ranch Metcalf pack
Nemo tensor pad
Nemo 0 degree stalker bag
Treking poles
Possible kit
Small first aid kit
Kill kit
Seek outside Gunnison tarp
Slik 634 tripod
Outdoorsmen micro pan head
Swaro 10x42 SLC
Leupold rangefinder
Fenix head lamp and back up Petzl Bindi ( you have to have two lights for redundancy)
Z seat
Lots of Advil......

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
Some more pictures
5565728d355812b01a0f1fd2a1140b5e.jpg

Awesome pictures. Looks like you also hunted with Chad? He guided me on my goat hunt with them

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
Awesome pictures. Looks like you also hunted with Chad? He guided me on my goat hunt with them

Yes chad was my guide, we had fun week. He was good guy to be around, really enjoyed it. We chased bears for awhile after the goat hunt. Seen a fair amount, one nice one that would go over 6 feet. He was moving quick and I got with 80 yards but he beat me into the timber. I would like to do a spring hunt in that area I bet that would be fun.

Yes chad was my guide, we had fun week. He was good guy to be around, really enjoyed it. We chased bears for awhile after the goat hunt. Seen a fair amount, one nice one that would go over 6 feet. He was moving quick and I got with 80 yards but he beat me into the timber. I would like to do a spring hunt in that area I bet that would be fun.
If my trip to NZ next year is still a no go due to travel restrictions I am contemplating on heading up again for the spring hunt

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
If my trip to NZ next year is still a no go due to travel restrictions I am contemplating on heading up again for the spring hunt

I think you’d have good hunt. I can see finding a 6 foot plus bear in his area. Probably going to see a bunch in the spring to.