Bowhunting partner on Kodiak

Beendare

WKR
I'm thinking about doing another Kodiak trip next year....and the normal groups we put together went this year...or are too beat up to do that hunt next year. My elk buddy doesn't have the $$....about $3500-$4k for a good DIY hunt where we will see a Boone and Crocket animal or 2 a day. Whether we can kill one of the boomers or not is up to us- grin.

I've been to Kodiak multiple times...and I have all of the tested gear we need. I have all of the contacts. I'm OK with showing a guy the ropes...but I'm not a baby sitter. A guy is going to have to have some bow hunting and survival skills...and of course no "I want to go home" attitude when the weather turns to crap. I have a buddy in CO I met this way as a total stranger 30 years ago....and we still hunt together...so I know it can work out.

I'm still pondering this....and willing to discuss with potential hunting partners over the winter...maybe we are a good fit...maybe not. We will need to monitor the weather...as Kodiak is due for a terrible winter...if that happens I'm less likely to go.

Me; I'm an old dude...nothing special. I'm in central CA...but don't hold that against me! Its where my business and my extended family is- I'm stuck.

I've been hunting with a bow for about 40 years....killed my share of critters......and missed my share too. [none of those were my fault- grin]

I'm pretty easy going per my CO buddy Kirk...but I can get grumpy according to my wifey of 30 yrs. My kids think I'm a huge philanthropist....at least in respect to them. As long as I'm shooting well, I'm fun to be around at Tourneys. As a hunting partner, I can carry just about anyone out of the woods....but would prefer not too......

Shooting a stick bow now...but might be a opportunist and shoot Compound on a hunt like this...no rifle though.

FYI, I'm never grumpy when I'm hunting [another grin] Hey its a target rich environment...who can't get along with that?

If you have been open to something like this...PM me...

traviswdalton

Lil-Rokslider
I would love to do something like this but can’t due to my dependence on a cpap for sleeping. 3 days without sleep and you’d shoot me. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowuntr

WKR
I'll tell you something from experience... the internet is not the place to find a hunting partner for Kodiak. I had to find a last minute (one month) replacement for my Kodiak hunt this year and it almost turned in to a disaster, day one. In hind sight I should have gone by myself... Ed F

acmckeage03

Lil-Rokslider
Best of luck finding a hunting partner! I'm also planning this trip however It's subject to tags drawn stateside, may get pushed to '21! I've gone back to Alaska 3 years in a row now. Addicted! I'll look for this post a little closer to spring.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
I'd like to see 2 B&C bucks a day!

Yeah, you are probably right, not good to overpromise....I'm typically not that picky. .....but I've seen some good bucks early and shot a couple over 100"....I haven't seen as many monsters on the late hunt.

2 of my buddies shot 2 B&C bucks on the same day about 3 weeks ago....one in the mid 120's

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
I'll tell you something from experience... the internet is not the place to find a hunting partner for Kodiak. I had to find a last minute (one month) replacement for my Kodiak hunt this year and it almost turned in to a disaster, day one. In hind sight I should have gone by myself... Ed F

Yeah, agreed. I met one internet guy from Bowsite years ago in your stomping grounds- he drew a 27 tag the same year I did and we met.
It didn't take long for me to see this guy was a poser- though he talked tough on the internet, he camped in his Hatchback rental car so he didn't have to sleep in a tent....and he was hunting 100yds off the road- if that.....its where I found him. I didn't hunt with him...ended up hunting solo.

....but who knows....I've communicated with some guys here offline that are like you and I- could be they are of a like mind.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
How is it hunting them w/ a stick, also what time of year is the hunt?
The season runs from early August all the way through November. About the only time it’s not good to hunt them with a bow-when I’ve been there anyway- is mid October, They are hunkered down pretty good.
The Key of course is being in a good spot

bowuntr

WKR
For those who have this on their to do list... one bad winter from changing things. Do it now...

Neither of those photos contain a B&C animal and why would I go to Alberta hunt Sitka Blacktails? :)

None of those are close to P&Y either... Not a very good plug for Beaver Lodge. Ed F

ramses342

FNG
I put in for a Afognak Elk hunt next year. If I draw the tag and you want to go to Afognak I would be interested in teaming up. My two buddies drew it last year though and said they did not see many blacktail at all on Afognak.

Very interested, Only way I'm not going to Kodiak this year is if I draw a Desert Ram tag here in CO. Odds are pretty good I'm going to Kodiak.

Send me a message.

Edit, according to Fairbanks, lot of snow over there so will need to watch this.

Last edited:
Looks like Kodiak got hit with a couple more feet of snow yesterday. This is going to be our first year going as well. When is it usually known about how bad the winter kill was?

It’s hard to say. The deep snow is definitely hard on the deer. But from what I’ve seen there it’s the late hard rain/freezes in the spring that really hammers them. There will still be plenty of deer though. Some parts of the island fair better than others during the hard winters. ADFG and the transporters will have a good idea as your hunt gets closer.