Box Hunting Blind

I am getting ready to buy a elevated box blind and am trying to figure out what material would be best for long life. I would like, due to the expense and work, for a blind to last At least 20 years. What material (fiberglass, aluminum, wood siding) would be the longest lasting? I live in Oklahoma so the hot sun beating on it would take a toll along with yearly hail storms. Any advice would be appreciated.

Gable

FNG
Metal seems to be the material here in South Texas with fiberglass running a close second.

Voyageur

WKR
I have a Banks blind. It is a molded polyethylene material. I've only had it for one year, but I expect it to easily last 10+ years. Weather here is below 0 in the winter and 95-100+ degress in the summer. Wind, rain, hail, snow, etc I have no qualms about my Banks blind being able to endure.
In my area people that go with plastic box blinds have all kinds of problems with the wind shattering them.
Hope this helps.

Jdh3

FNG
I’ve hunted in both Dixie Deer blinds and Redneck blinds over the years (never owned one personally). They seemed be well made as each time I’ve used one they were not new but still in great shape.

TTT

Lil-Rokslider
Sportsman condo. My buddy sells them in Oklahoma. Very comfortable & quiet with built in shelves & nice functional windows. I have two on my place. PM me & I’ll give you info.

Ok, i hunt in southern texas and have hunted quite a bit in northern texas as well. Lots of different blind and materials i have hunted in. Heres some opinions:
1. Plywood is the worst.
3. Single layer plastic is next worst. Just dont hold up to insecrs and really all ypu do is keep the rain off your head
3. fiberglass is next worst. Not for longevity, but for sound. They are really loud.
4. Uninsulated metal (of any kind), loud, hot, dont keep insects out well
5. Hardiboard or hardiplank is good for longevity, has a lot of flexibility as far as being able to customize it with carpet on the sides and bottom or insulation with foam, etc, and you can make them fairly insect proof with good windows or make them as cheap as you want.
6. Insulated metal, good at temperature regulation, noise level, and insect protection.

my top brands would be all seasons (they are expensive but well worth the buy once cry once price), insulated atascosa, insulated ranch king, or something do it yourself with hardiplank/hardiboard (you could use a metal frame or wood frame woth these as long as the seams are good you wont have to worry about water or sun damage for decade or longer).
Just my 2 cents after having hinted out of a bunch of different types/styles and materials

Having said all that, i shot ky biggest buck ever this past season out of a fiberglass blind on a makeshoft stand on top of a non-functional pick up truck....go figure....

WCB

WKR
I hunted wolves in AB....outfitter used insulated garage doors...so basically insulated aluminum. stood the panels vertically and cut them to around 6.5'. .2 pannels wide is 4' he made 4'x4' box blinds. You could add another panel on each wall and it would be 6x6. Could possible contact a garage door company and get some used take downs from them for nothing or next to it. I know my neighbor works for a garage door company and he was more than happy to hook me up with some for nothing.

He built a simple wood platform for is to sit on.

He just built a simple wood frame to connect them. cut the windows out and finish how ever you want. Frame up a simple roof and cover with plywood and tin or shingle or whatever.

WCB

WKR
if you walk to it and carry a pack, a 4x4 feels awful small to me.

then try to add a heater in cold weather.
4x4 was small but I was looking right at a bait site. sat for 5 days -30F no heater so room for one wasn't needed. Total of 11 days in that blind. But I agree for deer or just in general 6x6 would be good.

I have sat in larger ones and anything more than 6x6 is too big IMO for one guy. If I have to get up and move across the blind to get a shot out of one of windows it is too big.

Voyageur

WKR
4x4 was small but I was looking right at a bait site. sat for 5 days -30F no heater so room for one wasn't needed. Total of 11 days in that blind. But I agree for deer or just in general 6x6 would be good.

I have sat in larger ones and anything more than 6x6 is too big IMO for one guy. If I have to get up and move across the blind to get a shot out of one of windows it is too big.
Did you get a wolf?

WCB

WKR
Did you get a wolf?
Nope...never laid eyes on one. We made two trips and a couple days after I left the first time a guy shot one his first day out of that spot. They were coming around just not super consistent. I read 5 books though.

Second trip first or second day my day a few miles away had a pack come to around 400 but they never came to the bait and stayed in the trees.

OP
O
Just wanted to follow up with you guys. I ended up buying a HB blind. It’s metal, has windows that slide up. Should last quite a while.