Boxes per moose shipping

Tjwjr89

FNG
I was fully intending on driving to Newfoundland next month but really looking at flying now. My question is how many boxes per moose is it for shipping back?

I shipped my meat back via a truck line at the end of the season. I received (6) boxes of meat each averaging around 50-60lbs. I did not look into the cost for taking the meat back on the plane. Please note that if you do ship the meat back via a truck line, you will not get it until after the hunting season. I was not able to pick mine up until the 23rd of December.

Racer00

FNG
This is for Alaskan moose, but our group killed two average sized bulls last year and processed it all in Wasilla. We deboned every bit of it and had it all freezer/table ready except the grinding the burger meat. We are a bunch of experienced butchers and game processer. We ended up with about 350lbs of pure protein from each bull. I would guess a Newfie bull would be smaller. Maybe 280-320lbs deboned. I hope to find out in 2020. Headed up that way to try it myself.
Good luck. Shoot straight.

mooster

WKR
The local meat processor last year had a truck that he consolidated the meat at end of season and shipped it down south. I picked up my meat in N GA. A little expensive but an option since I too flew in.

When the meat ships in from NL, is it frozen rock solid? Do they have on-board freezers ?
I'm about 4 hours from the GMOS in PA, so I'd have to find dry ice, and get home in a hurry from PA.

There is no Dry Ice in Newfoundland, so keep that in mind. I think that they do a pretty good job on the freezing of the meat, but keep in mind that there goal (processor) is to get the meat cut up as soon as they can so you can take it with you when you leave. You are going to want to bring enough coolers with for keeping the chill on the meat. The one group had rented a sprinter van and had a chest freezer in the back. They would plug it into a generator to keep it cool when they stopped. I thought that was a pretty cool idea.

mooster

WKR
When the meat ships in from NL, is it frozen rock solid? Do they have on-board freezers ?
I'm about 4 hours from the GMOS in PA, so I'd have to find dry ice, and get home in a hurry from PA.
Based on how the meat was molded to the interior dimensions of the box, it had been put in the box prior to freezing. The meat was delivered to a cold storage facility, remained frozen until I picked it up. I picked up 350 lbs of meat in 7 boxes. (A caribou & small moose). The processor was Countryside Abbatoir, 709-635-7040. They arranged the shipping via Central NF Shipping @ $805.

Trying to decipher this.... the butcher or shipper up in Newfoundland... keeps the meat. It's mass loaded on a refrigerated truck whenever. It is then off loaded to a cold storage facility wherever... in the USA. Let's say Great American Outdoor show area. and then I need 3 or 4 big 70 qt coolers in the back of my suburban (with dry ice) to get my meat. All for the cost of about $1000. and then I rush home like a maniac .

OK. sounds like a good plan, and $1000 ain't too bad... .considering I'm not losing 5 days of my life driving to Newfoundland.

mooster

WKR
Here's the photo of the truck arranagements. I took this photo in Nov.18, but note the date says 2016. The truck consolidates the meat and then drops at predetermined cold storage warehouses. You pick up at your convenience.

mooster

WKR
Trying to decipher this.... the butcher or shipper up in Newfoundland... keeps the meat. It's mass loaded on a refrigerated truck whenever. It is then off loaded to a cold storage facility wherever... in the USA. Let's say Great American Outdoor show area. and then I need 3 or 4 big 70 qt coolers in the back of my suburban (with dry ice) to get my meat. All for the cost of about $1000. and then I rush home like a maniac .

OK. sounds like a good plan, and $1000 ain't too bad... .considering I'm not losing 5 days of my life driving to Newfoundland.

I picked up my meat in Cartersville GA. It was very warm say 85F. I drove 2.5 hours home. I put blankets over the wax boxes. I noticed no thawing. Remember the frozen boxes have a mass that will keep itself frozen.

bartman9

FNG
If you are only driving it a couple of hours, I wouldn't even think you would need ice, let alone dry ice. It should stay frozen in the coolers.

OP
T

Tjwjr89

FNG
Central Newfoundland Shipping is who I spoke with. The outfitter boxes up the deboned meat and drops it off at shippers. They freeze it and keep it frozen until season is over then the truck heads south and meat gets dropped off at your predetermined cold storage facility. You have 30 days to pick it up. Meat will be frozen so shouldn't need any ice to transport it back home. I did
not ask about meat being butchered up there.

OP
T

Tjwjr89

FNG
Central Newfoundland Shipping has a website with all the prices and details, and they are super friendly to talk to

OP
T

Tjwjr89

FNG
Then you need to defrost the meat to butcher it, and then freeze it again...… doesn't seem to make sense....
I much prefer the idea of butchering it 60lbs at a time rather than tackling a whole moose at once.

tracker12

WKR
Then you need to defrost the meat to butcher it, and then freeze it again...… doesn't seem to make sense....
I have butchered frozen meat several times with no problems on Elk. I prefer to process it myself than have some butcher decide how much I want in the packages. I leave Saturday for NL. I was going to lug a bag back on the airlines but after seeing its $100.00 for an extra bag I'm just going to ship if I am fortunate to bag a bull.

Last edited:

Smtn10pt

FNG
I have butchered frozen meat several times with no problems on Elk. I prefer to process it myself than have some butcher decide how much I want in the packages. I leave Saturday for NL. I was going to lug a bag back on the airlines but after seeing its $100.00 for an extra bag I'm just going to ship if I am fortunate to bag a bull.

When you look at the cost to ship you may find out that 100$ for a 100 pound bag or box of frozen meat is going to be your most economical way to get meat home. Only cheaper way is to have it in your carry on.

Trial153

WKR
What’s wrong with thawing a then butchering meat ? How does that not make sense?