Boyd laminate

KINGSNAKE

WKR
How accurate would this stock be With just a drop fit? Would it need skim bedded. Would it need pilar bedding? I have one on a savage 220 slug gun but I only shoot that gun 100 yards.

I thought about buying one of these for my savage lwh build. Shorten it and gut it. The price is right so I still might try it. Let me know how it turns out.

robtattoo

WKR
I've built 3 rifles, all Savages, with Boyd's stocks. One I didn't bed, one I pillar bedded only & one pillared & skimmed. Honestly, the difference in accuracy at 300yds is minimal (although they are different calibers, so I'm really comparing apples to oranges.....)
Build quality is good & so far they've all been drop in fits. I've heard differing opinions/experiences with that, however.

I really wouldn't recommend one for the LWH unless you're looking to pick up 1-1½lb which, well, why would you?

The stock I have on my Axis 6.5 is hacked, drilled, shortened, skimmed & hollowed to within an inch of it's life. I literally couldn't make it lighter & still functional. It weighs 5oz more than standard Tupperware......

I put a Boyds laminate on my son's Ruger MK II in 6mm Remington. I had my gunsmith pillar and glass bed it. I personally would do that with any stock. Why not do this to get the best possible accuracy out of them that you can for not a lot more money, and it keeps them consistent.

Yeah, I was going to shorten it on both ends and hollow it out pretty good. It is going on a 6.5, so I don't think there will be a lot of stress. If I pick up a few oz I won't complain, but not lbs. I would rather have something usable than super light.

robtattoo

WKR
Yeah, I was going to shorten it on both ends and hollow it out pretty good. It is going on a 6.5, so I don't think there will be a lot of stress. If I pick up a few oz I won't complain, but not lbs. I would rather have something usable than super light.

Don't. Just, don't. Seriously. Ain't a damn thing wrong with either the model 16 or 11 stock. The Boyd's, although a great stock, is no improvement on either & by the time you get the weight down, like mine, it'll look like a plywood ballsack. Believe me, I speak from experience.

Felix40

WKR
I like the boyds stock on my model 70. I glass bedded it and it shoots .65 moa now. I never even shot it unbedded because its so simple to just bed it and be done. The recoil lug area was a good fit but the back of the action took a bit of material to fill in the voids.

Don't. Just, don't. Seriously. Ain't a damn thing wrong with either the model 16 or 11 stock. The Boyd's, although a great stock, is no improvement on either & by the time you get the weight down, like mine, it'll look like a plywood ballsack. Believe me, I speak from experience.

Well, that settles that. Thanks for the heads up.

OP
KINGSNAKE

KINGSNAKE

WKR
I was thinking about a howa 300 win mag barreled action in grey cerakote with a brown boyds. Or pepper