Boyds stocks

wk93

Lil-Rokslider
Does anybody have one or used one? Considering getting one on my Remmy 700 BDL. in 300 win. mag. Probably salt and pepper color laminate with the thumbhole.

I did some reading and research on them and pretty much everything I read said be ready to do some fitting and don't expect to just drop your barreled action in to even the "finished" stocks. I have been wanting to learn how to fit and bed a stock so I ended up ordering one for the Ruger M77 tang safety that my dad gave me when I moved back up to AK. It was his gun when he was still up here but since retiring to Alabama it hadn't been used and it was the rifle I took my first big game animal with. I never use it as I much prefer my stainless/synthetic for beating on but I do hope that he comes up and takes it hunting with me one of these days!

The semi-inleted stock is a LOT of slow work!! It may be faster for someone with a trained eye but the place where the action is most obviously not fitting is almost never the source of the problem. I work on mine when I need to relax and have an hour or two. If it gets frustrating then I put it down. I have purchased a basic file set with a rat tail, flat and 1/2 round which have been handy. Several different grades of sand paper and some foam sanding blocks along with a couple bits for my dremel for this project and by going slow have managed not to tear it up. Right now the bottom metal and mag box are about 90% and the action is fitted to about 95%. I have about 7-8 hours of dedicated work in it and figure I am today about where you would be if you started with one of their "finished" stocks. All in all I am happy. No doubt there are better stocks available (for a bunch more $$) but to me the learning process of this has been a ton of fun! I doubt I will touch it till the snow flies but this next winter she will get finished and glass bedded then I will work up a moose load for it.

567fbf9b.jpg