Boys first Caribou

So, my son’s only been on one caribou hunt, when he was 11, and he struck out. This has been bothering him for the last 6 years, and since I’m not much into caribou hunting these days, he decided to make the almost 900 mile drive up to the North Slope and see if he could get his first ‘bou with a bow. As luck would have it, this morning he shot this huge bull at 70 yards, and now he doesn’t belong to the <1 Caribou Club anymore! I’m super proud of him and the fact that he’s growing up to be an independent person and hunter.
19428ec4cf37f0804086935c1fd3723b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crich

WKR
Thats awesome. I bet the feeling of accomplishment he has is overwhelming. Im looking forward to future proud moments like these with our little one. 👍Good job!

AKBorn

WKR
Trout, that is AWESOME! Kudos to your son for making that drive and getting it done on his own!

Curious why caribou is lower on your hunt list thee days - moose and other hunt opportunities closer, prefer moose meat, or other?

OP
AK Troutbum
Dude! 70 yard shot? Nice!
He's been practicing almost daily for the last 6 months or so and has been very proficient out to 80 yards here at our local range, so I guess if there was no wind, it probably didn't seem like too big of a deal.

This is great and tell him congrats!!! Did he use all his arrows?
I noticed that too that his quiver is empty, but I forgot to ask when I was talking to him last night.

Trout, that is AWESOME! Kudos to your son for making that drive and getting it done on his own!
Curious why caribou is lower on your hunt list thee days - moose and other hunt opportunities closer, prefer moose meat, or other?
The last time I went caribou hunting was with him, 6 years ago. It's not that I have anything against it, or that we don't enjoy the meat, it's just that I'm limited to one or two big hunts/year and for the last decade or so, I've really been into mountain (sheep and goats), hunting, so that's where I've been spending my time.

That's awesome. ANY critter with a bow is a trophy! Great eating stuff laying there on the tundra. Hope he had a sharp knife!

David
Ha, ha, I'm assuming you're referring to that razor blade, Buck 103? No, he doesn't have that knive out there, but I think he took a Havalon. Although it's probably not as sharp as that 103.:)