Brace height & hunting question

Ever since i began shooting trad last year, I have maintained an 8" brace height based on all recommendations. Is there any reason or justification for modifying this for actual hunting? My logic says no...shoot as accurately as possible and the 8" brace height is more forgiving of form errors. Is this correct or do I need edjamacatin'?

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
I'm shooting a 64", 45lb & 28" bow with 19" riser. Recommendations?

Beendare

WKR
Brace height is a function of a tuned arrow. Are your Bare shots flying perfect?

The bowyer- Blacktail I'm assuming- can tell you what most guys use...but if you are shooting a slightly stiffer arrow it might not tune...where a lower BH does.

I shoot a couple different ILF setups and where my Win and Win limbs shoot best at a 6 3/4" BH....my Uukha limbs are at 7 3/8".

The guys above are right about the best tune usually being quiet with less vibration....but its best if you start with a slightly lower BH....and shoot Bare shafts while working your way up in BH...to see which has the best arrow flight.

It's all trial and error. I bare shafted my arrows with an 8.5 inch brace height, and since I fletched them, for the sake of experimentation I raised it to 8.75 inches (Black Widow recommend between 8 and 8.75 inches). They still seem to shoot fine. I like the idea of my brace being as high as possible for the sake of keeping things as quiet as possible. Not sure how other people do it or what they prefer, but my arrows shoot beautifully and my bow is very quiet.

if your arrows are flying and your happy with how your bow is shooting then don't touch it...but I would ask the manufacturer, they normally know exactly where it should be.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Thanks guys, now playing with my Bob Lee Hunter 57lb recurve. This BH thing is an exhausting trial & error procedure.

muttordog.jpg

I always start with my BH in the middle of the manufacturers specs and tune an arrow to my bow. Once that is real close I move up and down on my BH three twists at a time until I find the sweet spot where it is quite and as little hand shock as possible. Just remember that a curve is never going to be longbow quite. Every bow is going to be different and even the weather can affect the BH as things expand and contract with temp swings. If you are trying to fix weak or stiff spine issues with BH you will have to make big swings to see results, and never ever go below the manuf. lower limit or risk breaking stuff. Ask me how I know!

OP
Where's Bruce?
Are you guys using brush buttons on youir recurves? How important are they?

oldgoat

WKR
Are you guys using brush buttons on youir recurves? How important are they?
I have used them on recurves in the past, shoot longbows mostly now, I like that my bow didn't get caught on branches as bad, BUT they made it nosier and wasn't worth the trade off in my opinion, did find the string silencers called Bow Jax or String Jax(not sure on the name) worked about the same but were quieter!

Beendare

WKR
No brush button- heavy-

I do use some moleskin on my limb where the string contacts it and I always wrap the ends of my strings with Wool Yarn where it contacts the limb. The combination of those two makes it pretty quiet...but like Justin said...its not LB quiet.