Brain is in a pretzel. Bitz helical problem.

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
I attached a few pictures to help explain my issue.
Got a dozen new arrows to try out and I clocked them to make sure they turn counterclockwise, which they do. Strap on the left helical on the Bitz jig finish up first arrow and a right helical comes out.

long story short I did a right helical and a left helical shot them at 3, 6, 9 feet to see their rotation. My right helical clamp which is hardly a helical at all turns left and my left helical clamp turns right.

I have the zenith upgrade kit for my Bitz. The dials are centred

image 1 is with right clamp.
image 2 is with left clamp
Images 3-5 are by settings on Bitz.

obviously I am doing something wrong here. Help needed.

cheers lads.

Attachments

• B512C8CC-E8B3-42E8-8207-A58AB8AE22D4.jpeg
    B512C8CC-E8B3-42E8-8207-A58AB8AE22D4.jpeg
    198.1 KB · Views: 122
  • ADFB39EB-4F8B-4A7F-9C90-53BAEFFB8F94.jpeg
    ADFB39EB-4F8B-4A7F-9C90-53BAEFFB8F94.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 120
  • 23AD885E-AEF7-46EA-882F-0CA03EA1A3D4.jpeg
    23AD885E-AEF7-46EA-882F-0CA03EA1A3D4.jpeg
    230.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 199A6691-51CB-4C4F-9C4F-31C030F4C357.jpeg
    199A6691-51CB-4C4F-9C4F-31C030F4C357.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 112
  • 0B4AF248-FCFD-42F6-8187-8DE4646584D6.jpeg
    0B4AF248-FCFD-42F6-8187-8DE4646584D6.jpeg
    258.3 KB · Views: 103
OP
R

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
I should also note that I am 110% sure I was using correct helical clamps. Haha

Do you have a few pictures of your clamps?

I also use the the slide on my bitz to center the vane on the arrow the way I want, usually I take it a fair ways off the marks. Mine is an old bitz previous to the dials. I suspect you need to rotate your dials to help offset the clamp in the direction you need to go.

PAhntr91

WKR
Classified Approved
This is my set up for right helical. You need to test fit your vanes in the clamp adjust the top knob for which way you want the helical. You want the max helical you can with your vanes. So fit the bane in the clamp. Set it in the jig with the arrow in place. Then you can adjust the upper and lower adjustment knobs for which direction you want your helical. make sure your vanes are Seating the whole way

Attachments

• C035D4F3-4600-45D9-9D82-698C9B31EB1C.jpeg
    C035D4F3-4600-45D9-9D82-698C9B31EB1C.jpeg
    186.7 KB · Views: 68
  • E3252125-BD99-43B2-BEBB-7A1A5475104F.jpeg
    E3252125-BD99-43B2-BEBB-7A1A5475104F.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 65
  • 708281E3-BAB6-4CF2-8687-9FACAF354BD9.jpeg
    708281E3-BAB6-4CF2-8687-9FACAF354BD9.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 68
  • D384AC05-4229-4334-B823-A4A4DD871638.jpeg
    D384AC05-4229-4334-B823-A4A4DD871638.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 460200EE-F8F4-4AC1-82A8-CE03719A40C5.jpeg
    460200EE-F8F4-4AC1-82A8-CE03719A40C5.jpeg
    186.7 KB · Views: 64

wapitibob

WKR
First impression of 1st pic is you don't have any offset on the vane and it's probably not correcting the natural rotation of the arrow. Picture no2 is correct offset/helical for a rh rotation and, if the natural rotation is left, your offset should stop that rotation and start it rotating rh at about 10 feet.
I almost always use a straight clamp and offset the jig. Small dia arrows and helical clamps can be troublesome with the front and back ends of the vane not getting adequate pressure and shaft contact.

Reactions: Zac

FlyGuy

WKR
First impression of 1st pic is you don't have any offset on the vane and it's probably not correcting the natural rotation of the arrow. Picture no2 is correct offset/helical for a rh rotation and, if the natural rotation is left, your offset should stop that rotation and start it rotating rh at about 10 feet.
I almost always use a straight clamp and offset the jig. Small dia arrows and helical clamps can be troublesome with the front and back ends of the vane not getting adequate pressure and shaft contact.

So, you use a straight clamp to solve this issue with small diameter arrows?

I’m shooting black Eagle X impacts with 4 fletch (Valkyrie) and I have found this to give me trouble at times. I currently have a right clamp (only)

You can’t cheat the mountain

BBob

WKR
obviously I am doing something wrong here. Help needed.
cheers lads.

It sounds like you didn't try to move the adjusters at all or did you? You should be able to put a bare shaft in the jig, put a vane in the clamp, set the clamp/vane against the arrow and move your adjusting dials around until the vane is centered where you want it making full contact with the shaft and helix/angle clocked the direction you want. With the Zenith mod you have the option of moving the upper guide to help with full vane contact on the shaft as well. Don't pay much attention to the adjuster guide marks just move the vane on the shaft with the adjusters to where it needs to go. See the guide marks below. My jig setup for right helical an an Easton ACC 3-49. You might think the lower adjuster should be offset to the left but like I said they are just reference marks. Set them wherever they need to go and use the reference marks for your notes for that setup if you care to write it down. With another arrow the jig might need to be adjusted differently to get the vane to align and fit that particular shaft.

IMG_2685.jpgIMG_2686.jpg

Last edited:

Do you notice this as well with vane spacing on the smaller diameter shafts? I’m having a hell of a time with 4 fletch spacing on Axis arrows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
I'm not sure what you're asking about spacing. You can end up with a lot of vane rotation with a helical clamp, depending on vane length.

I'm not sure what you're asking about spacing. You can end up with a lot of vane rotation with a helical clamp, depending on vane length.

Mostly the space between vanes, sometimes I end up with a very small distance between two and a huge gap between others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBob

WKR
Sounds like your nock to nock receiver isn’t centered or consistent or it moves while fletching. How is the fit? Can you slide the nock laterally on the receiver?

Zac

WKR
I think clocking is an insane practice if you are risking unscrewing your broadhead in an animal. I use to do it when I first started and my field tips would loosen just shooting into foam.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Your first pic looks like a straight helical and the second pic looks like a right helical to me.

I only put a right offset with a straight helical clamp on mine.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Mostly the space between vanes, sometimes I end up with a very small distance between two and a huge gap between others

Is your jig set for 90 degree's? If it is, then you're not keeping the arrow tight in the nock receiver while pushing the clamp down on the arrow. That's the only way you're going to get inconsistent spacing.

OP
R

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider

This is what I found, was at 10 ish feet the right helical turned the arrow clockwise. Where I am strugling was the fact that a left helical clamp made the right helical in the second photo.

I will have to play around with it more but not sure why I got the outcome I did.

OP
R

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
I think clocking is an insane practice if you are risking unscrewing your broadhead in an animal. I use to do it when I first started and my field tips would loosen just shooting into foam.

have you had an issue with broadheads unscrewing with a left helical?

I know I wont be able to shoot good enough to tell a difference with my helical and the natural spin of my arrow, but I have the means to match my helical to the arrow so I do. If people are having broadheads come loose in an animal because of a left helical then that is a good reason for me to have a right helical.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Where I am strugling was the fact that a left helical clamp made the right helical in the second photo.

I don't even know how that's possible. After setting a vane in the clamp just place it on the arrow and see where the front of the vane is pointing in relation to the rest of the vane. I can't see how a left helical clamp could possibly place the front of the vane to the right.

I know I wont be able to shoot good enough to tell a difference with my helical and the natural spin of my arrow, but I have the means to match my helical to the arrow so I do. If people are having broadheads come loose in an animal because of a left helical then that is a good reason for me to have a right helical.

I haven't had it happen. I figure even if it comes loose arrow doesn't rotate that fast, like one rotation every 18-20 inches with a fast helical.

I don't think the direction matters tho, but I still fletch for how the bareshaft wants to rotate. My scores don't change one way or another.

Zac

WKR

I only shot one deer with that setup and didn't even think to check. Honestly it was the rattling field tips that drove me crazy. They would loosen with every shot. I stopped doing it when Dudley said it was a bad idea. Kyle Douglas recently said it was a horrible idea as well. However Levi obviously does it. Gillingham has also messed around with it. I would say the only time it is critical is if you are using a right single bevel or offset blades. Muzzy Trocar, Ramcat, B3, and Raptor Tricks are all offsets that people don't think about.