Brain removal in the field?

dtrkyman

WKR
I know back home you can not take meat on the bone or any brain or spinal material across state line.

I am hunting Az. this next week and was wondering about this, If I kill a buck I would like a euro mount so I was curious how guys are removing the brain in the field?

I have seen guys hose the brains out but I will have no access to anything like that before leaving the state, I camp near a river so I am thinking I can just stick a screw driver or something in there and rinse it out?

Thanks

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
Wire hanger or even a little boil then a hanger and spray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fish it all out as soon as I take care of the meat. It actually comes out pretty easy when it's super fresh on the hill, as opposed to a day or two leaving it in there. I've done it a handfull of ways and this seems to work best for me. Stick the Havalon in there and make a couple cuts and then start fishing it out with the blade sideways. When you can't grab anymore out doing it that way, you grab the antlers from the front near the bases but the skull should be looking away from you with the nose up and the brainstem hole pointing straight down bring it down hard and stop abruptly in the air (over and over) to help more brain matter fall to the hole. Then fish some more. It may take a few times or more but it does get it all out with practice. I've been checked a couple times after having done it that way and have got the green light both times.

OP
D

dtrkyman

WKR
Sounds like something I would have tried and got all over myself in the process!

No car wash I am aware of on the way back before leaving the state.

Thanks guys

Last edited:

Idahomnts

Lil-Rokslider
I do euro mounts also , I have a little bone saw just for cutting the back of the brain cavity off , fill it with bondo, And insert support bolts when mounting , be sure to use a cloth or tissue when you fill with bondo so it does not seep down nasal way , they seem to mount more flush and you can always take more off at home to get what ever angle you want

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just take a wire coat hanger. You can scramble the brains with it and it will mostly pour out or you can use the hanger to pull it out.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
all you need is a stick through the brainstem opening. Once mushed and drawn out repeatedly with the stick, the bulk will come out in lumps and mash. Follow that up with a new branch with leaves still attached to ream the skull through that small hole.

If you have salt afterword, poor a couple tablespoons into the cranium and dump after a few hours. Flush with cold water and let drain.

done

Many jurisdictions require the removal of all tissue including the brain lining which is real hard to get out. I have all but given up on bringing back heads for euro mounts and now just skin the head and cut of the skull cap like for a full mount.

OFFHNTN

WKR
A cordless drill and a wire hanger that is bent. Stick the hanger in there and mash up the brains with the drill.

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
This is critical now in all states. The large beetle house up here who does thousands of Euro's tipped us off to this.

Regular hose nozzle with hose threads, a couple of fittings and a chunk of copper tubing. All at Menards for a few dollars. Insert in spinal cord passage and power wash brains out. slick as can be. Comes out like jello.
brain tool.png

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
Might be a little hard to find a hose in the field. Good plan for at home though.
Has to be done before crossing state lines so pull in any ranch, gas station, whatever and get permission to use nozzle. Not that tough. My friend was stopped on I94 by a warden, lost his trophy head and was fined. Time for everyone to be informed and prevent further CWD spread as best we can.

npm352

WKR
When I boil mine I use a 1/2 drill bit and make two joining holes on back of skull/brain cavity....it wont mess with structural integrity of skull and you wont notice it on a euro display. Even if you arent boiling, it gives you more access to brains. Also, the drill helps pull brains out. Watch your eyes though as it can get a bit nasty.