Braised Venison Shanks

Same recipe (Shank Adobado):

I took some of the meat (shredded), taco sized tortilla, drippings of the sauce to your liking, topped with Queso Fresco and pico, and a squeeze of lime.

Phenomenal.

Last edited:
The bones on the slow cooker yield a tasty marrow.
Spread a little marrow butter on some toast. Really good!

Santa

FNG
Started cooking shanks a few years ago and it has very quickly become one of my favorite dishes. I love the meateater recipe for deer, etc. Below is a recipe I've started used on wild hog shanks and they are fantastic, too.

OP
Trial153

Trial153

WKR
Started cooking shanks a few years ago and it has very quickly become one of my favorite dishes. I love the meateater recipe for deer, etc. Below is a recipe I've started used on wild hog shanks and they are fantastic, too.
If you can get pork shanks, cross cut the hocks and smoke them with a heavy smudge for 4 hours. Thank me later.

Explorer

FNG
I've done that one. The flavor is GREAT but I can't fully tame the heat. I've even strained the chipotle chiles in adobo sauce and reduced the peppers in half. Hot foods don't bother my wife, normally, but that sauce is too much for her.

I learned with that recipe to add a little bit of the sauce to the meat prior to eating. Don't smother it.
I love the Meateater recipe as well. Now it is one of my favorite dishes. I count my shanks every time I open the freezer!
To tame the heat, I use red bell peppers instead of the dried chillies. I roast them or sear them in a pan before blending in the adobo sauce. Still has some kick though.
20200410_173100.jpg

Inrutt

FNG
Osso buco!
I'm excited to try shank in non burger form. Does the connective tissue and marrow give flavor, like oxtail, better than a regular roast?

I love the Meateater recipe as well. Now it is one of my favorite dishes. I count my shanks every time I open the freezer!
To tame the heat, I use red bell peppers instead of the dried chillies. I roast them or sear them in a pan before blending in the adobo sauce. Still has some kick though.
View attachment 192910
Great idea!!

manitou1

WKR
Yeah, I sorely regret all the shanks I have tossed over the years. Osso Bucco is my favorite ungulate recipe. That sinew and silver skin melts down like butter. Good stuff!

The math on meat grinding vs meat grinder unclogging doesn't work out on shanks, this is definitely what I'm doing next time

Vids

WKR
When I read the first posts on this thread I immediately thought of mentioning the Meateater Adobado shank recipe, that one is fantastic. Glad to see others beat me to it! If you like spicy food like I do, don't change a thing.

Here is another great one from Hank Shaw:

I cooked the Hank Shaw recipe at a gathering with families and young kids. Everyone raved about it and the kids headed back for more and more, there was nothing left after 30 minutes...