Brand new to Long Range, looking to build Custom

Alright so I’m looking to build a long range rig like 500m+. I’m going the custom route. I’m wondering for something like that, what companies have you guys experienced are the best with this? I’m completely green to long range hunting and probably don’t even have the ability for this yet but it’s one of my goals and hell the way the world is getting probably be a good skill to acquire. Any information would be fantastic.

There are quite a few places that build them. I got my first from mike at hells canyon armory. He really made it easy for someone’s first build that doesn’t know a ton about it and it shoots! Second one I acquired all the parts and did it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tumbleweed

Lil-Rokslider
Straight Shooter Supply in North Bend, Oregon. Shawn and Brady are fabulous to work with, the quality of their work is second to none and they will actually do what YOU want them to assuming it’s something that will work. If you want absolute anal attention to detail and perfection, these are the guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmr

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re from PA, check out Bill Goad of Premier Accuracy. I have two long range rifles built by him, and couldn’t be happier with them. He will be at the Harrisburg show in a couple weeks, check him out.

JimGa

Lil-Rokslider
Opinions vary, and I'll give you mine. If your new to LR, I'd not start with a custom rifle, if get a good factory rifle in a 308, like a PSS, CTR, T3 etc in a 223 or 308. Put a Super Sniper on it, buy a case of ammo and shoot. Getting good takes alot of rounds down range, and either caliber will yield likely 10k rounds before you burn out the barrel, and ammo is relatively cheap. Old salts recommended that along time ago to me a d it still to be true. Do that first then look at building something. As far as building a rifle, there are alot better options than Gunwerks at 5-6k.

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
IMO For the Cost of a full custom you should be planning on a 1000yd gun. Not to hard to get to 500m with factory setup or a few tweaks- trigger, bedding, etc

no absolutely 1000 is the goal it’s just definitely outside my realm of shooting currently. I believe it’s attainable, but your right I’m looking for something that can achieve that

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
If you’re from PA, check out Bill Goad of Premier Accuracy. I have two long range rifles built by him, and couldn’t be happier with them. He will be at the Harrisburg show in a couple weeks, check him out.

will do I’m up in warren county

excaliber

WKR
Lots of people will give you opinions based on a smith they used in the past who built them a rifle. I could do the same. My guns shoots lights out.

From all accounts and reviews from others I would have Ryan Pierce for Piercision build my next rifle.

When I do build my next custom rifle I'll be contacting him.

no absolutely 1000 is the goal it’s just definitely outside my realm of shooting currently. I believe it’s attainable, but your right I’m looking for something that can achieve that

If you are hunting at 1000 I would also recommend an appropriate caliber to have the energy for whatever game you may huntthat far as well. Different than pinging steel.

MeatBuck

WKR
I recently turned a $350 Winchester m70 into a $2500 lr rifle. Now I need a high dollar scope and bipod to bring the total up to about $5000. And I also have to spend another $2500-5000 on reloading equipment and supplies. Those cheap little Chinese starter kits everyone(rcbs,Lyman,lee) is selling these days are hardly good for pistol plinking rounds. Not even going to waste time there. Going straight to the top with Redding Mec andor Dillon and since I'm planning to win the new rcbs rad bad boy powder dispenser im saving about $2000+ there.
Looks like the rabbit hole gets deeper and deeper on this venture.

SnipersHide.com will be worth your time. They are experts in long range. Be nice over there and they will treat you right. Just make it clear you are buying a hunting rig and shooting less than 1000 yards. Also clearly specify your budget up front.

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
SnipersHide.com will be worth your time. They are experts in long range. Be nice over there and they will treat you right. Just make it clear you are buying a hunting rig and shooting less than 1000 yards. Also clearly specify your budget up front.

dude, holy grail, thank you. Unlimited knowledge.