Brand new to Long Range, looking to build Custom

Really do your research on narrowing down what you want and your expectations. There's so much to consider. $ you are willing to spend. Ranges you want to shoot at both animals and targets. Type of animals you intend to hunt. What cal, bullet, speed, recoil, rifle weight, style of stock, barrel, etc etc. It is spendy hobby and theres so much else that eats your money. Rifle scope, range finder, kestrel, bipod, reloading or good custom ammo etc. To be consistent you will need to shoot a lot which is spendy in itself.

There's a ton of good builders. Alamo precision rifles ( I own 2) Hells canyon armory, lane precision rifles, precise rifle solutions, Rbros, piercision, snowy mtn. I could go on and on. Sorry if I left ya out.. There's so many great options. Call around, feel them out and make a decision from there.

tdhanses

WKR
Just know this, you can shoot to 1000 with a factory rifle and inexpensive scope, you can’t shoot that far if your form sucks.

I also recommend supporting or at least giving the sponsors here a chance to earn your business. I wouldn’t hesitate a second to have have Hells Canyon build me a rifle or improve a factory rifle.

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
Just know this, you can shoot to 1000 with a factory rifle and inexpensive scope, you can’t shoot that far if your form sucks.

I also recommend supporting or at least giving the sponsors here a chance to earn your business. I wouldn’t hesitate a second to have have Hells Canyon build me a rifle or improve a factory rifle.

im open to anything man, I’m learning. Gov sends me some money each month so I’m guna use it to learn this discipline and sometime this new year have something decent built. I have a lighter weight .300 Wby Backcountry, I love it and it works for now but I’m looking into learning this new area of interest.

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
Have you ever thought about investing the money into a long range shooting class first?

No, no I haven’t. Not guna be able to getaway except on weekends maybe with a new job I’m starting. I may be able to sign up for one taught buy the government but not for awhile. Vacation will go to elk. Practice and internet are going to be my classes.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I haven't read any of the comments but I would suggest not buying a custom yet. Get a Tikka or a semi-custom in something cheap to shoot and hit the range. Doing this will get you better at shooting LR and your knowledge will grow. Then build the custom in a few years with a better understanding of what you actually want in a custom LR rifle.

tdhanses

WKR
Something else worth considering is shooting 22lr long range, out to 300 if possible. Its cheap to shoot but will spank your butt fast in a slight breeze. it’s very addictive, cheap and amazing trigger time. Just get a decent setup and shoot good ammo, no bulk stuff. I have a Ruger precision that is decent out to 300 but the new Christensen Arms Ranger 22 has me itching.

The CA Ranger with an SWFA 10x42 scope would be great to learn with I have a feeling.

You’ll need a chrono and basic ballistic app like shooter, you’ll learn a ton that is very applicable to long range shooting of the bigger calibers.

Last edited:

archp625

WKR
I haven't read any of the comments but I would suggest not buying a custom yet. Get a Tikka or a semi-custom in something cheap to shoot and hit the range. Doing this will get you better at shooting LR and your knowledge will grow. Then build the custom in a few years with a better understanding of what you actually want in a custom LR rifle.
Listen to him. He knows what’s up. Buy a tikka and some good glass.

mt100gr.

WKR
To expand a little on what Ryan posted above:

I got the extended range bug a few years ago. I started out with a Tikka and immediately dove into handloading for it. I had great success through practice and research into all the details that go into shooting longer distances.

Probably 2 years later, I sold an extra pickup that I had and turned it into a custom 300 winmag. Fantastic rifle built the way I want it after a lot of conversations and research.

After that I had an opportunity to buy a vetted semi-custom Tikka in 6.5. With factory ammo it is great. With my handloads it is excellent. With a 10x nightforce, I have shot it at the same ranges I have made first round impacts with my custom 300.

Last winter I scored another Tikka. A 6.5 CTR. At this point, this is my favorite rifle. Accuracy is excellent with cheap factory ammo and it's so comfortable to shoot. Again, in its off the shelf state, it shoots right along side my custom.

All this to say - after a few thousand rounds down range, a few rifles in front of me and hours of research, I would definitely build a different first custom. My 300 isn't going anywhere but it wasn't until I burned a lot of powder thru some less expensive rifles that I have come to appreciate it.

OP
BeastOfTheTrees

Thank you for the information. What is your personal opinion on chassis vs stock for a long range backcountry rig, specifically a folding chassis?

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
I definitely haven’t pulled the trigger on anything yet, like some of you have said I’ve been bitten by the bug recently. I got a good buddy who’s an instructor at the Army Sniper School who geeks out on long range as well so he is helping me out at least with information and idea bouncing. All this information is great though I’m soaking everything in.

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
Have you tried shooting any long distances with your 300 weatherby?

nothing past 300 yet. I got home from overseas in August then wife surprises me with the rifle, got it sighted in decently right before season hit. Then we outprocessed the army and moved back east. It’s been a wild 6 months.

Sportsman247

Lil-Rokslider
Take a look at TSCustoms out of South Dakota. Travis is currently building my second TS as we speak. They are awesome shooting rifles and Travis is very knowledgeable and will talk you through all the components of the build. Highly recommend!