Brand new to Long Range, looking to build Custom

Djacker

WKR
Take a look at TSCustoms out of South Dakota. Travis is currently building my second TS as we speak. They are awesome shooting rifles and Travis is very knowledgeable and will talk you through all the components of the build. Highly recommend!
[/QUOTE

I second this, Travis is a great guy and very knowledgeable. I'm waiting on a 7 saum from him right now.

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
Well, there’s as good a chance the Weatherby rifle you have will take you to 1000 as any in my opinion. That’s a lot of energy for a light rifle so it might be a struggle getting tight groups but if you get it figured out, the caliber has a wide use.

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
Well, there’s as good a chance the Weatherby rifle you have will take you to 1000 as any in my opinion. That’s a lot of energy for a light rifle so it might be a struggle getting tight groups but if you get it figured out, the caliber has a wide use.

I love the rifle it’s like my 3rd child, exactly what your saying though it is a tad difficult in its lighter weight package to get decent groups. In the Army we would shoot to 300 with the Colt M4 platform with irons, I got decent with that but nothing past that. Now I realize I have a gap in my knowledge of shooting after almost exclusively bow hunting for 5 years. Picked the rifle back up this year and got hooked again. Now I want to learn to perform.

16Bore

WKR
I haven't read any of the comments but I would suggest not buying a custom yet. Get a Tikka or a semi-custom in something cheap to shoot and hit the range. Doing this will get you better at shooting LR and your knowledge will grow. Then build the custom in a few years with a better understanding of what you actually want in a custom LR rifle.

This 110%.....

Hate to sound like a broken record, but a 6.5CM Tikka with a SWFA scope will get you there outta the box and the shelves are full of ammo....

No sense in making it complicated.

tdhanses

WKR
Take a look at TSCustoms out of South Dakota. Travis is currently building my second TS as we speak. They are awesome shooting rifles and Travis is very knowledgeable and will talk you through all the components of the build. Highly recommend!

Travis is a good guy and builds a quality gun, he built my custom.

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
Well, a few things to consider, that’s an expensive caliber to throw enough ammo through to become comfortable at long range hunting. I’m also guessing you need a light rifle like I need a bigger belly. The 6.5 cm is a good platform to learn off of. I will say there are people that have the ability to shoot the light, high energy rifles very accurately but it didn’t happen overnight. I suspect having conversations with the recommended builders might serve you well.

Nealm66

Lil-Rokslider
One more thing to consider, if you really have your heart set on learning to shoot a high energy light rifle, consider a 300 win mag with a brake that can be removed. This will allow you to shoot the crap out of it without braking the bank and also, if you remove the brake, it will force you to learn a technique that works for you to control the recoil. I would recommend a 1/2 moa guarantee and also a platform that may be changed to the 300 prc once you have wore out the barrel

500000KV

Lil-Rokslider
lane precision, piercision, Mile High shooting, wheeler accuracy incredible builders my uncle and I have guns from all of them listed. My personal input.

MOA Rifles builds excellent Rifles as well and , puts on a weekend class in the spring you could sign up for, hands on learning. Have one of their rifles in 7 mag and it’s a pleasure to shoot also.

Big Ern

WKR
Beanland Custom Rifles
Spartan
LRI

Plus a lot of other great gunsmiths I don't have experience with.

A lot has to do with your budget and what you want. You can get to 1000 yds with a good factory rifle/optics/ammo/shooting technique. Custom rifles are a rabbit hole that get expensive fast as you chase tighter and tighter groups.

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
Appreciate all the information everyone truly. I’m all over snipers hide now as well as believe for my first foray into long range I’m looking at the tikka t3x Tac a1..... looks interesting to me. As well as isn’t 4 gs

mt100gr.

WKR
Appreciate all the information everyone truly. I’m all over snipers hide now as well as believe for my first foray into long range I’m looking at the tikka t3x Tac a1..... looks interesting to me. As well as isn’t 4 gs
I think Tikka is a great starting point. I'd strongly suggest looking at a CTR over the Tac A1 if you are going to drag it around the hills at all. I know the TAC is a solid rifle but it's heavy. The bone stock CTR will do everything you need at a lot less weight.

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
I think Tikka is a great starting point. I'd strongly suggest looking at a CTR over the Tac A1 if you are going to drag it around the hills at all. I know the TAC is a solid rifle but it's heavy. The bone stock CTR will do everything you need at a lot less weight.

appreciate it, what about this new SIG cross? Interesting.

mt100gr.

WKR
appreciate it, what about this new SIG cross? Interesting.
I posted on the other thread about the Cross - I think that thing looks pretty badass. I am a big fan of short barreled rifles. And a folding stock at that weight would make a sweet little package. Really doubt the availability will be there for awhile.

Also, a lightweight rifle will magnify inconsistencies and errors in marksmanship. Somewhere between the Cross and the TAC A1 is perfect.

Put a solid, heavy scope on the Cross and really stress the fundamentals would be a pretty good option, weight wise. You can add weight to the Sig, you can't do much to lighten up the TAC.

I almost always reach for a rifle in the 8.5 lb arena. I have lighter ones and heavier, more "capable" (range-wise) ones but for across the board hunting and shooting 8-8.5 is pretty nice. My CTR weighs in just over 9 all dressed up and it's a peach to lay in behind.

tdhanses

WKR
So now that your looking at factory options why not look at Bergara, Christensen Arms, Cooper etc?

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
So now that your looking at factory options why not look at Bergara, Christensen Arms, Cooper etc?

Another army buddy of mine always speaks highly of tikka and a lot of stuff I read on snipers hide recommends the tikka action. That’s what lead me to tikka, could down the line keep the action towards building and what not. I’ll def. check those companies out over my morning coffee.