Brand of meat grinder

Pflum

FNG
Really happy with the .5 HP. Ran about 40 pounds of deer through it, and reground about 30 pounds of burger with bacon for sausage. It grinds meat faster than I can feed it. Had to push the regrind through a little, but not bad. The 1.5 hp has to be a brute.

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
No I do not. I got an email over a week ago from RMEF and I deleted it because I already have a grinder. Maybe it was just a promotion and expired. I can not find the email in my trash folder. It is already deleted.

Got a 1hp Meat your maker grinder last week. Have ground up 6 deer with it already. The first deer we ground up was the same day we shot her. Started with course then went fine, worked like a dream. Shot a few more deer that night, let them hang a couple days before grinding them. Attempted the same process but the fine plate kept getting clogged up, so we did two coarse grinds. Not sure why waiting the couple days made a difference but it did.

Got a 1hp Meat your maker grinder last week. Have ground up 6 deer with it already. The first deer we ground up was the same day we shot her. Started with course then went fine, worked like a dream. Shot a few more deer that night, let them hang a couple days before grinding them. Attempted the same process but the fine plate kept getting clogged up, so we did two coarse grinds. Not sure why waiting the couple days made a difference but it did.
My fine plate got plugged up. Found on it was the first few pieces had some sinew on it. That caused it to block up right from the go. Found putting a few cleaner pieces in the any that have any remaining sinew on it and it goes right. Think the sinew just spins and plugs up if it doesn’t have meat to cut it against.

I cut a ton of sinew off but it was the lower front shank meat I threw in first that caused the plug

Rich M

WKR
I just ground up a moo cow with a LEM big bite .75 hp. No hiccups, no issues, just feeding strips and chunks of meat into it, fill 5-gallon bucket w grind, swap out and keep going x3. Did about 100# this last time. Had a small handful left over when ran out of grind meat and trim.

You must be doing more but im just grinding cooler cold meat.

What am i missing?

Snowwolfe

Lil-Rokslider
I just ground up a moo cow with a LEM big bite .75 hp. No hiccups, no issues, just feeding strips and chunks of meat into it, fill 5-gallon bucket w grind, swap out and keep going x3. Did about 100# this last time. Had a small handful left over when ran out of grind meat and trim.

You must be doing more but im just grinding cooler cold meat.

What am i missing?
Not sure what you mean by what you are missing?

Rich M

WKR
Not sure what you mean by what you are missing?
We always have preferences. Im just wondering why 1 brand is better than the other. Nothing special, have had a couple cheap grinders (x2) and the LEM. Maybe something diff really shines, thats all.

ToolMann

WKR
My 5 year old $150 cabelas DC grinder finally stripped the auger bolt last weekend. Probably has 9 or 10 animals through it. My buddy/neighbor and I figured we could each pay $300 for smaller grinders or go halfsies on a big unit. He was borrowing mine when it finally took a crap and I was using his when his did 5 years ago. Our 1.5 HP MEAT Your Maker gets here Wednesday. Can't wait!

Cschlimm

FNG
I have used Lem last few years always keep head in freezer between grinds and usually put meat on cookie sheets between second grind. When guys were talking about having troubles on second grind I typically see that when cutting the meat with fat. The grooves inside the head get coated with fat and meat is harder to push through. This year we used pork back fat typically used beef fat and noticed that pork back fat even when frozen going through the grinder melts into those grooves much quicker than the beef fat, which makes sense if you think about cooking beef vs pork. You guys got me interested in these MEAT boys in the market for a stuffer anyone try their stuffer yet?

svivian

WKR
I have used Lem last few years always keep head in freezer between grinds and usually put meat on cookie sheets between second grind. When guys were talking about having troubles on second grind I typically see that when cutting the meat with fat. The grooves inside the head get coated with fat and meat is harder to push through. This year we used pork back fat typically used beef fat and noticed that pork back fat even when frozen going through the grinder melts into those grooves much quicker than the beef fat, which makes sense if you think about cooking beef vs pork. You guys got me interested in these MEAT boys in the market for a stuffer anyone try their stuffer yet?
I have it and don’t find it any different than the LEM brand other than it’s cheaper for a larger size

ToolMann

WKR
The 5# stuffer is next on my list. The gear on my cabela's stuffer wore out last year after 4 years of use and maybe 50 or 60 ponds of stuffing. That isn't good quality.

sim22mie

Lil-Rokslider
Any grinders that aren't made in China? Looks like both Meat and LEM are.

Any grinders that aren't made in China? Looks like both Meat and LEM are.

Sure are, but i guess you'd need a big budget. Just because its made in China doesn't mean its crap. The MEAT! brand is made in China but i'd definitely say its high quality.

I'm sure the non compact .5 hp is just as good of quality as the 1.5hp model

Chambers4

FNG
Ok, so I come from a butcher family, ran a meat shop, managed a meat Dept, etc, have used commercial Hobarts most of my life, and I can’t find a grinder I like that’s not $3000 plus.

I have tried the large cabelas, the LEM, didnt like either. Unless the meat was almost frozen, they just don’t grind really well.

Has anyone tired the Meat Your Maker? I’m interested in that brand, but would like to hear if anyone has tried it.

I was at dads grinding a couple moose with a table top 1944 Hobart 1/2 HP, and that thing flat grinds twice as fast as any of the 1hp I’ve tried and at any temp. I’ve looked all over for the oldies, but they are hard it come by.

Any input on the Meat Your Maker would be really helpful, thank you
We use the Cabelas brand and it works great as long as you keep the meat cold.

Zerickson

FNG
Got a LEM big bite 0.75 hp grinder last year and very happy with it. Will chew through anything I throw at it. Even used to grind up chicken bones when my dogs were on a raw diet.