Brandon Butler's Cabin Burned Down by Poachers

Wondering if anyone else is aware of the Reelfoot drama, it ain't far away. Someone commented on it earlier. I had seen something earlier in the week about it, but hadn't followed up.

Pretty disturbing.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
It appears that he was actually banned. Was he at least given the opportunity to issue a public apology and make a donation to the advocacy group of the incensed mob’s choosing? He was arguing the wrong side of the argument - but he wasn’t arguing with himself, and he wasn’t threatening anyone. Banning those whom we disagree, solely because we think they’re wrong on an issue(s), is a frightening trend in the digital world. If I am banned for my audacity in questioning the decision (I know, privately owned business/website), I appreciate all the hunting knowledge I’ve received from the members here.

we get sick of smart asses and agitators. It ruins our hunting site. yes I did warn him. it was his tone, not his opinion. if he did wanna apologize we’d consider letting him come back. But I would be surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
makes a post about laughing at a guy who gets his cabin and personal belongs burnt to the ground because he reports a wildlife violator AND no less to a guy who has done more for hunting and conservation than he ever will in ten lifetimes- on a hunting forum!

eO7kpYm.jpg

I think that I should stop. We are as big a problem as the arsonist? Re-read that. I’m on the internet talking about it, not engaging in arson. I do have a GREAT respect for how dangerous these people can be. If you have never experienced those sorts of than congratulations. But some of us didn’t grow up in safe places with safe people. We grew making sure we did the right things at the right time so we didn’t end up like cousins and uncles that have been gunned down or never seen again.

And some are brave enough to confront evil.

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
The guy got banned for his "Tone"???? SMH. I had to go back to the beginning and read through to see if I missed something, and nope, didn't miss anything. Honestly, I've been seeing way too many posts about politics, and dumb crap lately. I think we all need to get back to talking about hunting, gear, comradery, and leave everything else to facebook.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The guy got banned for his "Tone"???? SMH. I had to go back to the beginning and read through to see if I missed something, and nope, didn't miss anything. Honestly, I've been seeing way too many posts about politics, and dumb crap lately. I think we all need to get back to talking about hunting, gear, comradery, and leave everything else to facebook.

agreed, and his tone was much better suited for Facebook. Especially when I asked him about it and he got all huffy and told me how many “likes“ he had on this thread.

Some people like to chase ambulances too.

ttucci16

Lil-Rokslider
agreed, and his tone was much better suited for Facebook. Especially when I asked him about it and he got all huffy and told me how many “likes“ he had on this thread.

Everyone seems to be pretty huffy with the internet these days.. LMAO. Legit question though Robby, can we please ban political posts, and make the general discussion forum about "General Hunting" and not general everything including the kitchen sink.

Missahba

Lil-Rokslider
@ttucci16 I think you’re brush is too broad. Political affairs that affect hunting and fishing, and matters essential to them, like firearms, land and water, are absolutely appropriate here. In moderation, with civility, and the right proportion to our main ares of interest. Likewise, teaching opportunities like this Butler Cabin incident aren’t dumb stuff. For every Meth fanboy who is showing his ignorance, there are dozens or hundreds reading this thread. Over time thousands. It is instructive about society, ethics, behavior, criminal justice, rule of law, integrity and principle. Maybe it helps expose some people to a higher standard. Maybe it encourages some to stand up like Butler. And others to support the right thing, instead of shrugging their shoulders and accepting lawless depravity. There are very few internet communities I know of in which this topic could go 10 pages in the civil tone seen here. Hats off to the Admins and Mods and reasonable voices who stay topical not personal.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Everyone seems to be pretty huffy with the internet these days.. LMAO. Legit question though Robby, can we please ban political posts, and make the general discussion forum about "General Hunting" and not general everything including the kitchen sink.
Rokslide brother, I understand your desire and we've moved in the last year to really limit these, but as it says in the post directly below your by @Missahba , sometimes hunting is politics so we need room for the civil end of the discussions.

We're keeping an eye on it and if somethings getting out of hand, we'll step in, and if somethings becoming a very devisive topic (thinking BHA right now), we'll knock those down too. and sometimes when a thread starts to just rehash, we close it. Not really because it's a bad thread full of violations, but taking up server space over already discussed topics (this one may be headed that way.)

In college, my debate teacher wouldn't let us debate abortion or smoking (that one was a hot topic in the 90s) and now I understand why she put those on the "don't-discuss" list.

thanks for your input

I feel terrible for the man who had his cabin burned down. I listened to the podcast when it posted and it made me extremely uneasy when he was telling the story. It is good to hear that they have a suspect in custody and it sounds like everyone in the area will be better off when he is in jail.

I don't know how I would act if I was put in his situation but I do know that being born and bred in eastern KY, I would do my homework before even buying land in my home county. If I was interested in land in another county in Appalachia I would be extremely cautious. Not because the people are bad, because these people are generally awesome, but you are talking about a level of poverty that most people haven't seen or been around. For all of the great people in this area you can easily find a few outlaws and they have nothing to lose. A perfect example is a few years ago someone tried to hire a hitman to kill a local attorney. The hitman agreed to do it for like $100. Fortunately he wasn't too bright and was arrested, but it just goes to show you what some people are capable of doing for little to no incentive.

I've never been to that part of Missouri and know nothing about the culture, but in Appalachia its sort of like the wild west. Even for someone who grew up here, moving 50 miles south east and I would be an outsider. People in this area are clannish. It has been that way for generations and unfortunately will never change. The level of distrust for outsiders is significant. "He's not from around here" is a common phrase people say. It doesn't just mean that this person wasn't born and bred in the area, it also means that he has no idea how we think or operate and doesn't understand the culture.

OP
A
Different one? I just listened to little bit on the one with it in the title. Was there more?
Yeah, the first podcast to talk about it was two weeks ago. This week Brandon was back for an update on the situation. Some of the notes are in this thread, but I skipped past them when posted so I could listen to him tell it on the podcast. It's only the first 5-10 minutes of this week's episode.

When people start saying oddly specific things like “you’re going to end up under a sycamore by the creek”...it’s probally not a bad idea to show them the door. Good call by the mods. It’s nice to have a place that encourages hard core back country conservation minded hunters and not the hill billy “I gotta flex how hick I am” type hunters.

I feel terrible for the man who had his cabin burned down. I listened to the podcast when it posted and it made me extremely uneasy when he was telling the story. It is good to hear that they have a suspect in custody and it sounds like everyone in the area will be better off when he is in jail.

I don't know how I would act if I was put in his situation but I do know that being born and bred in eastern KY, I would do my homework before even buying land in my home county. If I was interested in land in another county in Appalachia I would be extremely cautious. Not because the people are bad, because these people are generally awesome, but you are talking about a level of poverty that most people haven't seen or been around. For all of the great people in this area you can easily find a few outlaws and they have nothing to lose. A perfect example is a few years ago someone tried to hire a hitman to kill a local attorney. The hitman agreed to do it for like $100. Fortunately he wasn't too bright and was arrested, but it just goes to show you what some people are capable of doing for little to no incentive.

I've never been to that part of Missouri and know nothing about the culture, but in Appalachia its sort of like the wild west. Even for someone who grew up here, moving 50 miles south east and I would be an outsider. People in this area are clannish. It has been that way for generations and unfortunately will never change. The level of distrust for outsiders is significant. "He's not from around here" is a common phrase people say. It doesn't just mean that this person wasn't born and bred in the area, it also means that he has no idea how we think or operate and doesn't understand the culture.
I'll check it out thanks. I don't know much about the guy, but sounds like a bad deal. Real crappy.

Rob5589

WKR
When people start saying oddly specific things like “you’re going to end up under a sycamore by the creek”...it’s probally not a bad idea to show them the door. Good call by the mods. It’s nice to have a place that encourages hard core back country conservation minded hunters and not the hill billy “I gotta flex how hick I am” type hunters.

It did seem way out of left field for anyone here to even make a veiled attempt to justify what happened. Hell, guys get their gear stolen and the RS community steps up and offers replacement gear and other assistance. I have never read anyone saying "too bad you should have known better than to hunt there," type of BS.