Brandon Butler's Cabin Burned Down by Poachers

So much pearl clutching in this thread. Who taught y’all that phrase, victim blaming? I have to say, I’ve shown my wife this thread and quite a few people I know and hunt and fish with that all have experience from that area. Every one of them to a tee laughed when I said he called the cops. My wife laughed at this man for his ignorance. And said What did he think was going to happen? Most friends said he’s lucky he didn’t lose more. Again, there’s a real world out here. Just because you’ve never seen don’t mean it don’t exist. And the victim blaming straw man can time a hike. He’s responsible for his actions. Right or wrong they have consequences.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
So much pearl clutching in this thread. Who taught y’all that phrase, victim blaming? I have to say, I’ve shown my wife this thread and quite a few people I know and hunt and fish with that all have experience from that area. Every one of them to a tee laughed when I said he called the cops. My wife laughed at this man for his ignorance. And said What did he think was going to happen? Most friends said he’s lucky he didn’t lose more. Again, there’s a real world out here. Just because you’ve never seen don’t mean it don’t exist. And the victim blaming straw man can time a hike. He’s responsible for his actions. Right or wrong they have consequences.
Victim blaming is a real thing. It is taught in lots of quality schools. It is most frequently employed against rape victims where they are told they shouldn't have been out late, drinking, dressed in a short skirt, etc. It is usually followed by something gross like, "What did she think was going to happen?"

Victim blamers tend to say victims should be held accountable for trying to do the right thing while excusing away the actions of the perpetrator. Again, in the rape example, it is something like, "Boys will be boys."

I believe everything you say about the back-ass-wards nature of the area. That doesn't mean what they did to the victim was right, and doesn't mean what THEY did was HIS fault. You know, the whole personal responsibility thing you are trying pin on the victim's back.

You seem rather amazingly adamant that calling the police was the wrong thing to do. But you've yet to offer your suggestion for what he should have done, other than discharge a firearm up into the sky.

Along those same lines. What would you suggest he should do in response to his cabin being burned down?

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor

What is really sad is I believe that you mean and believe what you’re saying. You seem to have this mis founded respect for the law breakers. Hate to say it but you and your friends and wife are just as big of a problem as the arsonist. Y’all let it stand. And by turning a blind eye to it and letting it be the status quo you are just as culpable. It is a shame more people in that area cannot find their spine.

You seem rather amazingly adamant that calling the police was the wrong thing to do. But you've yet to offer your suggestion for what he should have done, other than discharge a firearm up into the sky.

Along those same lines. What would you suggest he should do in response to his cabin being burned down?
Sure I did. Go back. I said I would try to ID them and then catch them at the gas station or in town and try to figure out something that would make both people happy.

What is really sad is I believe that you mean and believe what you’re saying. You seem to have this mis founded respect for the law breakers. Hate to say it but you and your friends and wife are just as big of a problem as the arsonist. Y’all let it stand. And by turning a blind eye to it and letting it be the status quo you are just as culpable. It is a shame more people in that area cannot find their spine.
I think that I should stop. We are as big a problem as the arsonist? Re-read that. I’m on the internet talking about it, not engaging in arson. I do have a GREAT respect for how dangerous these people can be. If you have never experienced those sorts of than congratulations. But some of us didn’t grow up in safe places with safe people. We grew making sure we did the right things at the right time so we didn’t end up like cousins and uncles that have been gunned down or never seen again.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
So much pearl clutching in this thread. Who taught y’all that phrase, victim blaming? I have to say, I’ve shown my wife this thread and quite a few people I know and hunt and fish with that all have experience from that area. Every one of them to a tee laughed when I said he called the cops. My wife laughed at this man for his ignorance. And said What did he think was going to happen?

well hell, why didn't you say so earlier, that is pretty damn funny

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I think that I should stop. We are as big a problem as the arsonist? Re-read that. I’m on the internet talking about it, not engaging in arson. I do have a GREAT respect for how dangerous these people can be. If you have never experienced those sorts of than congratulations. But some of us didn’t grow up in safe places with safe people. We grew making sure we did the right things at the right time so we didn’t end up like cousins and uncles that have been gunned down or never seen again.

I’ll reply one last time even though he is banned and can’t respond.

You have a great FEAR of those people not respect. By letting fear lead your moral compass you allow these people to behave badly. So yes, your fear causes you to condone their actions since you lack the intestinal fortitude to stand up and say NO. You grew up letting fear govern you. Other men in this thread did not. I pray one day you will be able to conquer your fear.

Rob5589

WKR

The way I read it; let them poach. And if you call LE, expect bad things to happen. In regards to the cabin; that's what happens when you mess with "hill folk."

hcaudle

Lil-Rokslider
It appears that he was actually banned. Was he at least given the opportunity to issue a public apology and make a donation to the advocacy group of the incensed mob’s choosing? He was arguing the wrong side of the argument - but he wasn’t arguing with himself, and he wasn’t threatening anyone. Banning those whom we disagree, solely because we think they’re wrong on an issue(s), is a frightening trend in the digital world. If I am banned for my audacity in questioning the decision (I know, privately owned business/website), I appreciate all the hunting knowledge I’ve received from the members here.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I were a betting man, I'd have to bet against him apologizing and making any kind of donation, but I've been wrong plenty of times

WhiteOak

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't see him condone their actions one time, drew a parallel to that being the norm out there with seems to be true. I think he was trying to get across that it doesn't matter what everyone else thinks, that is how it is out there. Much like the inner city, abject poverty breeds situations most don't comprehend. Its not how it should be just how it is.

I have grown up in Appalachia, not too far removed. The problem comes from those who allow it. It is a good ole boys network, but if someone does me wrong I'm not going down to the gas station and brokering a deal. To hell with that. There is truth in not messing with someone who doesn't have anything to loose, but you just gotta learn where to hit'em.

Done had my dealings with one tooth wonder, realized if I kicked his sister in the chin it chopped his dick off.

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

I’m curious if he got the permanent ban hammer or temporary? Or if he was told to knock it off and went off the hook? I hope a mod clears the air on that part of it

OP
A
It appears that he was actually banned. Was he at least given the opportunity to issue a public apology and make a donation to the advocacy group of the incensed mob’s choosing? He was arguing the wrong side of the argument - but he wasn’t arguing with himself, and he wasn’t threatening anyone. Banning those whom we disagree, solely because we think they’re wrong on an issue(s), is a frightening trend in the digital world. If I am banned for my audacity in questioning the decision (I know, privately owned business/website), I appreciate all the hunting knowledge I’ve received from the members here.
I believe he was banned for not taking the warning he was given and mouthing off to an admin.

True. I forgot about Robby’s warning.

Good riddance then. He was the type of person I could see coming unhinged when he was told to get lost too

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes he was banned. As far as I know it's permanent but I don't care enough to check. Robby banned him but had he not got to it first I or one of the other mods would have. He was warned twice. It's not at all about difference of opinion. He was setting a tone that we here at Rokslide have little tolerance for, being unnecessarily abrasive and more importantly he was promoting illegal behavior as respectable and victim blaming someone who did what was legally and morally right. He is welcome to petition Robby or Ryan but we all know he's too arrogant to do that and even if he did I doubt it would go well for him because neither of them have time for nonsense.

This thread will be left open for the time being unless it continues down a bad direction.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk