Brandon Butler's Cabin Burned Down by Poachers

I guess y’all just don’t get it. There are consequences for reporting people to the police. You may not believe that, and it may not be right but that’s often what happens. I do not condone the what the arsonist did. But be real y’all. It’s not about blood sweat and tears. It’s about how you deal with criminals. Come on private property over and over again and there would be consequences. He decided to let the law in a corrupt place take care of his problems. And this is what can happen.
And I’m still curious, why you are giving some podcast host your hard earned money?
No kids?
No desire to hunt Alaska?
No desire for a cabin of your own?
You mostly be crazy rich or just a goob who thinks a podcast host is more important than you and yours.

No wonder those people down there don’t like him. This city boy is Ozark Meth Mans most hated vacationer.

Butler has established himself as a conservation and outdoor media leader of his generation. He is currently Director of Communications for Roeslein Alternative Energy, a renewable natural gas company dedicated to conservation. He spent five years as the executive director of the Conservation Federation of Missouri. He created and taught Conservation Communications at the University of Missouri.

Butler is actively involved in conservation organizations. He is a life member of CFM, NRA, Boone & Crockett Club, Trout Unlimited, Fly Fishers International and Missouri Hunting Heritage Federation. He holds a B.S. in Organizational Leadership from Purdue University, a M.A. in Organizational Leadership from Gonzaga University and is currently completing an Executive M.B.A. at the University of Missouri.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
As someone who grew up hunting, fishing and camping in those hills I’m surprised he called the police. I wonder what he thought might happen? Has the owner spent time with the community in the vicinity? Do they know him? Has he done his work? Or does he just hit the local mart on the way to the cabin? Some people only understand violence. This man has only himself to blame. He should have taken his own actions or none at all. Also, would you leave all your valuable keepsakes and memory items in a shack 3.5 hours from your residence? No sympathy.
Yeah, just like those dang rape victims wearing something perdy. Just asking for it...

I guess y’all just don’t get it. There are consequences for reporting people to the police. You may not believe that, and it may not be right but that’s often what happens. I do not condone the what the arsonist did. But be real y’all. It’s not about blood sweat and tears. It’s about how you deal with criminals. Come on private property over and over again and there would be consequences. He decided to let the law in a corrupt place take care of his problems.
There’s also very serious consequences to taking the law into your own hands. My family has land in an area like this. If he began escalating things into a personal feud when he doesn’t even live there things would have ended up much worse.
Calling the cops got his cabin torched, but trying to take these dudes (and probably their family/friends) on himself would have resulted in him ending up dead in the bottom of a hollow.
Even if he “wins”, guess what? he gets arrested, and the courts won’t like the fact that you didn’t even call the cops before you tried to go all Clint Eastwood

There’s also very serious consequences to taking the law into your own hands. My family has land in an area like this. If he began escalating things into a personal feud when he doesn’t even live there things would have ended up much worse.
Calling the cops got his cabin torched, but trying to take these dudes (and probably their family/friends) on himself would have resulted in him ending up dead in the bottom of a hollow.
Even if he “wins”, guess what? he gets arrested, and the courts won’t like the fact that you didn’t even call the cops before you tried to go all Clint Eastwood
I totally agree about being dead in the hollow. And do not condone violence by either party or arson or any of it. But, I’m not naive to the fact that there’s some brutal shit happening in the world and some people are closer to it than others. And when you **** with those people there are consequences.

Rob5589

WKR
I totally agree about being dead in the hollow. And do not condone violence by either party or arson or any of it. But, I’m not naive to the fact that there’s some brutal shit happening in the world and some people are closer to it than others. And when you **** with those people there are consequences.

I guess you just gotta let hillbillies be hillbillies.

Fullfan

WKR
Okay who is Brandon Butler ? I Turkey hunt in Shannon County, Lots of meth heads and white trash there.

woods89

WKR
Interesting take. The area sounds lovely :rolleyes:
Doesn't it?

It's a little complicated though. That area has some of the most beautiful rivers I've ever seen, although weekends in the summer are a little irritating with all the drunk canoers. The Missouri elk herd is about 20 mi south of there.

But the culture is extremely frustrating, in some ways. Incidentally there have been 9 different elk poached out of our new herd, if I remember correctly.

The game wardens in this areas have their hands full. I feel sorry for them.

woods89

WKR
I've lived here for 15 years, and I'd say there are pockets that are spooky. The area where I live I feel quite comfortable in. However, 20-25 miles in one direction things change a bit. I guess after awhile you learn where those pockets are, and just try not to spend a lot of time there. I work for the public, and have lots of customers who are great people to deal with. In certain areas though, the criminal aspect is just under the surface.

A few years ago I worked with some plumbers who were in on the local "scene." This was around the time that Winters Bone came out. I haven't ever seen the movie but had read the book. I asked those guys if it was realistic and they assured me it was........

Squincher

WKR
As someone who grew up hunting, fishing and camping in those hills I’m surprised he called the police. I wonder what he thought might happen? Has the owner spent time with the community in the vicinity? Do they know him? Has he done his work? Or does he just hit the local mart on the way to the cabin? Some people only understand violence. This man has only himself to blame. He should have taken his own actions or none at all. Also, would you leave all your valuable keepsakes and memory items in a shack 3.5 hours from your residence? No sympathy.
Careful, Joe Dirt, your PO might be a Rokslider.

Fatcamp

WKR
I've lived here for 15 years, and I'd say there are pockets that are spooky. The area where I live I feel quite comfortable in. However, 20-25 miles in one direction things change a bit. I guess after awhile you learn where those pockets are, and just try not to spend a lot of time there. I work for the public, and have lots of customers who are great people to deal with. In certain areas though, the criminal aspect is just under the surface.

A few years ago I worked with some plumbers who were in on the local "scene." This was around the time that Winters Bone came out. I haven't ever seen the movie but had read the book. I asked those guys if it was realistic and they assured me it was........

Ya, I met plenty of nice people, but there is an underbelly that is very dangerous. My family no longer lives there so it's been awhile since I've been back. Had a cousin who enjoyed flailing against the bottom and tagged along enough to to know what I'm talking about.

That guy should find a new place for his cabin.

Texas justice

FLS

WKR
I heard the podcast. It sucks. I’ve lived a “lawless“ clannish area most of my life. I’ve leased a few hundred acres to hunt for the last 20 years. Until I leased leased it , some of the locals had done as they pleased. The first several years I had stuff stolen and destroyed regularly. Had several confrontations that went sideways quickly. You have two options, be prepared to be as violent as they are and live with the consequences, or find a local outlaw ally to keep an eye on your stuff. The latter is much easier, because going everywhere with a pistol in your pocket and worrying that somebody might mess with your wife or kids at the local gas station/ country store gets old. Assume local law enforcement doesn’t give a shit or worse yet is sympathetic to your adversaries. The locals give zero ***** about your conservation credentials. It’s isn‘t right, but it is reality.