Brandon Butler's Cabin Burned Down by Poachers

whaack

WKR
I guess y’all just don’t get it. There are consequences for reporting people to the police. You may not believe that, and it may not be right but that’s often what happens. I do not condone the what the arsonist did. But be real y’all. It’s not about blood sweat and tears. It’s about how you deal with criminals. Come on private property over and over again and there would be consequences. He decided to let the law in a corrupt place take care of his problems. And this is what can happen.
And I’m still curious, why you are giving some podcast host your hard earned money?
No kids?
No desire to hunt Alaska?
No desire for a cabin of your own?
You mostly be crazy rich or just a goob who thinks a podcast host is more important than you and yours.

Get lost man. There is zero acceptable reason to burn another mans home down. And some people are just generous and want to help a fella out when they can by giving some money. SMH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I heard the podcast. It sucks. I’ve lived a “lawless“ clannish area most of my life. I’ve leased a few hundred acres to hunt for the last 20 years. Until I leased leased it , some of the locals had done as they pleased. The first several years I had stuff stolen and destroyed regularly. Had several confrontations that went sideways quickly. You have two options, be prepared to be as violent as they are and live with the consequences, or find a local outlaw ally to keep an eye on your stuff. The latter is much easier, because going everywhere with a pistol in your pocket and worrying that somebody might mess with your wife or kids at the local gas station/ country store gets old. Assume local law enforcement doesn’t give a shit or worse yet is sympathetic to your adversaries. The locals give zero ***** about your conservation credentials. It’s isn‘t right, but it is reality.
all of this

I also feel like sometimes you gotta let shit slide. He sees them spotlight on his property. The sound of a weapon discharged might take care of it. Instead he hulks out and chases them. Then tells the police. When you call the police on these people shit becomes very real. Especially if you have a warden involved. Now you put them in a position that they have scrutiny from leo disturbing what ever else they are up to. Poor choices. All that education and no street smarts.

Get lost man. There is zero acceptable reason to burn another mans home down. And some people are just generous and want to help a fella out when they can by giving some money. SMH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m not saying that what was done was acceptable. But people tend to have a different view of what’s acceptable. Clearly being chased and having the police visit the perpetrators was unacceptable to them. There’s a real world out here buddy.

Squamch

WKR
I’m not saying that what was done was acceptable. But people tend to have a different view of what’s acceptable. Clearly being chased and having the police visit the perpetrators was unacceptable to them. There’s a real world out here buddy.

I get where you're coming from. I get that there are ripples from every action. I have been pretty familiar with that side of society in a former life.
I agree that situational awareness is key, don't leave valuables unattended, etc. I would not have had irreplaceable items in that cabin.
That said, what would you have done in a situation like this? You have locals coming onto your land pitlamping, and who knows what else. How would you defend your property against that?

What consequences would be effective here? Shooting one or more of them just kicks it off with their associates. Doing nothing cements your victim status.
Calling the law kicks it off too...

What's the quote, "all that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"?

You're familiar with the area, people, and culture. How should it have been handled?

In my opinion, if the law cannot help, taking a couple truck loads of buddies, confronting the poachers, and beating the absolute dog shit out of them, then being ready, and doing it again when they try for revenge, would probably work. Make it clear that you are bigger and meaner. But that's what would happen in an exclusively criminal world. Throw family into it, I feel it probably wouldn't work. You'd end up with the Methfields and Goodboys feud.

I get where you're coming from. I get that there are ripples from every action. I have been pretty familiar with that side of society in a former life.
I agree that situational awareness is key, don't leave valuables unattended, etc. I would not have had irreplaceable items in that cabin.
That said, what would you have done in a situation like this? You have locals coming onto your land pitlamping, and who knows what else. How would you defend your property against that?

What consequences would be effective here? Shooting one or more of them just kicks it off with their associates. Doing nothing cements your victim status.
Calling the law kicks it off too...

What's the quote, "all that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"?

You're familiar with the area, people, and culture. How should it have been handled?

In my opinion, if the law cannot help, taking a couple truck loads of buddies, confronting the poachers, and beating the absolute dog shit out of them, then being ready, and doing it again when they try for revenge, would probably work. Make it clear that you are bigger and meaner. But that's what would happen in an exclusively criminal world. Throw family into it, I feel it probably wouldn't work. You'd end up with the Methfields and Goodboys feud.
I’m not sure how I would handle it. There was clearly a lot that went into this all coming to a head. I likely would have shot once in the air up, not at them. See what happens. But not engage. I’d try and ID the vehicle. I would do better to SECURE MY PROPERTY if they can’t drive in, they can’t spotlight in your backyard. If I knew who it was I’d bide my time, not engage them then by any means. Meth heads on your property at night with guns is not something I’m really going to charge into. I’d hope to catch them at the gas station give them a smile and say, “was that y’all out there the other night? Sure would appreciate if ya wouldn’t!” Then he gives you the schpeel about how his uncle sold that to you and it wasn’t his right to do so and that they’ve been huntin it for a hundred years. This I would respect and see if we could come to a compromise.
But, you will never be meaner than these people. Unless you want to go to war with them. In that case you should have nothing you care about anywhere near. Especially not a remote cabin.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
all of this

I also feel like sometimes you gotta let shit slide. He sees them spotlight on his property. The sound of a weapon discharged might take care of it. Instead he hulks out and chases them. Then tells the police. When you call the police on these people shit becomes very real. Especially if you have a warden involved. Now you put them in a position that they have scrutiny from leo disturbing what ever else they are up to. Poor choices. All that education and no street smarts.

Man,

That is some criminal thinking, victim-blaming BS.

They should be exposed and held accountable for the poaching, arson, intimidation, and “what ever else they are up to.”

There is no difference between these mullet-mobsters and street gang punks in the cities.

all of this

You have to let poaching slide? Ha you had better not ever come west.

Man,

They should be exposed and held accountable for the poaching, arson, intimidation, and “what ever else they are up to.”

There is no difference between these mullet-mobsters and street gang punks in the cities.
Yeah this is some top notch shit I didn't think I'd ever read on Rokslide.
The man did the rite thing and is blamed. Thats some backwards crap in my world.
America is built on doing the rite thing.

Man,

I’m a realist. I’m not poaching anything. And I agree they should be exposed and accountable. Was anything killed? Was something poached or just shots fired? What experience do you have with street gang punks in the city? Have lived amongst them? Have you seen how they go about their daily lives? Do you really have any understanding of the mindset of these people? Have you lived that experience?

Fatcamp

WKR
Man,

There are how things are, and there are how things should be. Confusing the two will just frustrate a person. Some places are beyond repair as the culture goes back so far and runs so deep as to unchangeable.

But I agree, no different than an inner city neighborhood, except they probably would have just shot him.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
There are how things are, and there are how things should be. Confusing the two will just frustrate a person.

Im not frustrated or confused about it. I fully understand that things aren’t the way they “should be” in all areas. This community has accepted mobster rule, apparently. They aren’t alone either.

But that is no reason to excuse or accept the status quo. Communities small and large should always be moving towards what “should be.” This case is an opportunity for the community and their LE to take a big step in the right direction. Failing to do so only empowers and emboldens the gangsters.

It is unconscionable to blame an arson victim for doing the right thing. Shameful.

Fatcamp

WKR
Im not frustrated or confused about it. I fully understand that things aren’t the way they “should be” in all areas. This community has accepted mobster rule, apparently. They aren’t alone either.

But that is no reason to excuse or accept the status quo. Communities small and large should always be moving towards what “should be.” This case is an opportunity for the community and their LE to take a big step in the right direction. Failing to do so only empowers and emboldens the gangsters.

It is unconscionable to blame an arson victim for doing the right thing. Shameful.

I'm not blaming the guy for anything. That said, he clearly doesn't understand the area he moved to.

I believe LEO do what they can in areas such as this, but keeping things from spiraling out of control is about the best one can do. Honestly, some of what I saw in and around that area really messed with my perception of justice and how people treat each other. Not the only place to do so, but I was young, and it really opened my eyes, and even then I had been around.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I’m a realist.

Do you mean apologist?

I agree they should be exposed and accountable.

It doesn’t sound like it.

Do you really have any understanding of the mindset of these people? Have you lived that experience?

Yes I have an understanding of the criminal mindset, and no, I have never been a gangster.

Objectively, burning down the house of a person that turned you in prior is criminal retaliation. It is only the fault of the arsonist. Full stop.

In some areas it does become the victims issue, and there isn't resources on the law enforcement side. Brandon said on the podcast he would make the call again. He also said in a interview he isn't rebuilding the cabin. I don't blame him at all for pulling out of the area. Stinks that it will empower other dirt bags from that neighborhood.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

This being well publicized sure isn’t going to help him sell the land.

I don’t want people to be scared of visiting MO. This is one of the most beautiful and abundant places in our nation. The spelunking is some of the best in the country. The wildlife populations are amazing. Huge recreational lakes. Missouri is amazing!
Moving to a place in the middle of nowhere where you don’t have any people can be very isolating and in this case dangerous. It shouldn’t be that way, but it is. This guy moved in down there put up his meat eater flag and his BHA stickers sat back and thought, dang if this ain’t perfect. Except he’s on a minuscule 43 acre island surrounded by dangerous meth heads.