Brandon Butler's Cabin Burned Down by Poachers

At one point in my life I spent a considerable amount of time working daily in one of the worst areas of one of the biggest cities in this country. I witnessed drug and prostitution deals being conducted weekly, if not daily. Would it have been the right thing to do if I whipped my cell phone out and called 911? Absolutely. Did I? Hell no. I guess I’ll have to live with that guilt for the rest of my life but it is nice that I still have my cabin full of family heirlooms.
Life is about picking your battles and being prepared to deal with the outcomes. By saying that I’m not condoning the action of the night shooters or the arsonists nor am I blaming this dude (whoever he is) for what happened to his cabin. I hope he is successful in his mission to rid the county of late night hillbilly deer shooters, but I also hope he is in no rush to rebuild his cabin.

woods89

WKR
Im not frustrated or confused about it. I fully understand that things aren’t the way they “should be” in all areas. This community has accepted mobster rule, apparently. They aren’t alone either.

But that is no reason to excuse or accept the status quo. Communities small and large should always be moving towards what “should be.” This case is an opportunity for the community and their LE to take a big step in the right direction. Failing to do so only empowers and emboldens the gangsters.

It is unconscionable to blame an arson victim for doing the right thing. Shameful.
I get it, and wish it were so, believe me. But in that particular area, the community really doesn't want to change that bad. At the point where a majority want to clean things up, something will likely change.

LEO in some of these counties are underfunded, underpaid, and spread out over a huge area. I think most have good intentions (with some notable exceptions) but they are trying to survive and, like an above poster said, keep things from totally spiraling out of control.

I love the Ozarks. I won't lie though, they have some very dark sides. I do pity people who move in and don't understand some of the dynamics at play.

Cowbell

WKR
I don’t want people to be scared of visiting MO. This is one of the most beautiful and abundant places in our nation. The spelunking is some of the best in the country. The wildlife populations are amazing. Huge recreational lakes. Missouri is amazing!
Moving to a place in the middle of nowhere where you don’t have any people can be very isolating and in this case dangerous. It shouldn’t be that way, but it is. This guy moved in down there put up his meat eater flag and his BHA stickers sat back and thought, dang if this ain’t perfect. Except he’s on a minuscule 43 acre island surrounded by dangerous meth heads.
And from what I've been told, he has a boastful, better than though attitude.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I get it, and wish it were so, believe me. But in that particular area, the community really doesn't want to change that bad. At the point where a majority want to clean things up, something will likely change.

LEO in some of these counties are underfunded, underpaid, and spread out over a huge area. I think most have good intentions (with some notable exceptions) but they are trying to survive and, like an above poster said, keep things from totally spiraling out of control.

I love the Ozarks. I won't lie though, they have some very dark sides. I do pity people who move in and don't understand some of the dynamics at play.

We’re kind of getting away from my original point. It’s not this victim’s fault his cabin was burned down. Regardless about how terrible the community is.

He said he’s moving out, and I don’t blame him.

I still hope the criminals responsible are found and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Interesting the guy that thinks discharging a firearm is a good way to warn poachers in the night.
Sounds to me like a good way to escalate a situation and possibly draw return fire in your direction.

woods89

WKR
We’re kind of getting away from my original point. It’s not this victim’s fault his cabin was burned down. Regardless about how terrible the community is.

He said he’s moving out, and I don’t blame him.

I still hope the criminals responsible are found and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
You're right, he certainly didn't deserve that, and I hate the fact that it happened. Just trying to provide some context around the situation.

If I go into downtown St. Louis at 2 am and walk around flashing a big roll of cash, I don't deserve to get robbed either. But I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for the inner city to solve all their problems. As long as this county in question keeps electing their sheriff and prosecuter, the status quo will be maintained, as it sounds like these folks are some of the "notable exceptions."

Thankfully, the immediate area where I live is better. I have great neighbors and feel quite safe.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
one can only hope that the poachers who were looking at misdemeanors at tops, get convicted of felony arson and go to prison

maybe some of these posters should think about applying for the Missouri Tourism Commission, they'll be flocking in

woods89

WKR
one can only hope that the poachers who were looking at misdemeanors at tops, get convicted of felony arson and go to prison

maybe some of these posters should think about applying for the Missouri Tourism Commission, they'll be flocking in
From some of what I've heard from that county, my guess is some evidence will get lost or something and the locals will see little punishment.

My dad delivered some medical equipment to a lady in the county in question. She had moved in from out of the area with the dream of having a small sheep farm. The locals like to run dogs and after awhile her sheep started getting killed. One day she caught the dogs and owners on her property and called the sheriff. This ended in her, not the locals, being arrested. She was forced to hire a lawyer and prepare for trial, at considerable expense, obviously. On the morning of her trial, she found out the prosecuter had dropped all charges, leaving her stuck with all her legal expenses.

Just another day in paradise.......

Lest some of you misread this, I hate the idea of people poaching. Much worse is burning someone's cabin. I wish all this was otherwise, and Shannon County was a prosperous, law abiding place. But a significant part of that county is just fine with all this. They don't want people moving in and likely you can find plenty of people there who view this as some sort of perverted victory.

It stinks because we need more people here like Brandon Butler. If it were me, I wouldn't rebuild either, though.

As far as tourism goes, you can come float the rivers, visit the state parks, hike the wilderness areas, and be just fine. I've done it for years with basically zero confrontation. If you are moving in, do your homework. You may well wind up in an area like where I live, and be just fine. Or you may be very unlucky, as Mr. Butler was, and move in next to some very unsavory people.

Warmsy

WKR
As someone who grew up hunting, fishing and camping in those hills I’m surprised he called the police. I wonder what he thought might happen? Has the owner spent time with the community in the vicinity? Do they know him? Has he done his work? Or does he just hit the local mart on the way to the cabin? Some people only understand violence. This man has only himself to blame. He should have taken his own actions or none at all. Also, would you leave all your valuable keepsakes and memory items in a shack 3.5 hours from your residence? No sympathy.
WTF?

Whisky

WKR
I just missed a TX Audodad hunt because I was being responsible and working through a home remodel project. This upsets me a little bit.
I'm in for the MO redneck methhead season. My wife would probably appreciate me blowing off a little steam.

Can't imagine this attention is good for business.

blackdawg

WKR
Note to self; stay the hell out of MO.

Just be aware, large portions of Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Tennessee, Southern Illinois and Indiana, Alabama and Louisiana are the same way, sad but it’s the reality to what the backwoods in these parts have become.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clarence

WKR
Just be aware, large portions of Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Tennessee, Southern Illinois and Indiana, Alabama and Louisiana are the same way, sad but it’s the reality to what the backwoods in these parts have become.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't forget Nc,Va,Wv,Ky,Pa,and Ny

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I just missed a TX Audodad hunt because I was being responsible and working through a home remodel project. This upsets me a little bit.
I'm in for the MO redneck methhead season. My wife would probably appreciate me blowing off a little steam.

Can't imagine this attention is good for business.
Sound pretty tough until you’re tucked up under a sycamore in a creek. You’re not in for anything. This sort of posturing gets soft men killed in these woods.

Last edited:

Whisky

WKR
Ok bud. Whatever
I got a pretty big burn pit on my property, no sycamores.

I hope people
Ok bud. Whatever
I got a pretty big burn pit on my property, no sycamores.
We aren’t talking about your property. Or your aodad hunt or your bathroom. We are talking about legitimately dangerous people. And peacocking about going down there and hunting these people isn’t really worth talking about.

Whisky

WKR
I hope people

We aren’t talking about your property. Or your aodad hunt or your bathroom. We are talking about legitimately dangerous people. And peacocking about going down there and hunting these people isn’t really worth talking about.
I agree its not worth talking about.

What boggles me is how someone can prop these "legitimately dangerous people " up on a pedestal as if they are deserving of our respect, and frankly, earn the right to keep doing what they're doing. They should be stopped. Hopefully this story draws the attention from the right individuals, and something is actually done about it.