Brandon Butler's Cabin Burned Down by Poachers

January 4, my cabin burned to the ground,” said Butler, the former executive director of the Conservation Federation of Missouri.
You would think as a former fed conservation officer he would have a inkling of what this type of people could do? Locals he didn't know ?
Where is his insurance to cover this type of thing.
It is sad and hope he gets to rebuild
It’s doesn’t say Federal Conservation Officer. It says work for a conservation non profit I think.

Rokbar

WKR
yeah maybe you can hook up with them for hunting season, sounds like they’re in pretty good shape
That's what the ones below my drive do. NONSTOP! I see them driving outside of town looking for tree's. Every couple of months you'll see 5-6 sheriff's cars setting at their house. Splitting will slow down, then back to normal.

woods89

WKR
That's what the ones below my drive do. NONSTOP! I see them driving outside of town looking for tree's. Every couple of months you'll see 5-6 sheriff's cars setting at their house. Splitting will slow down, then back to normal.
Do they sell pickup loads in the Wal-Mart parking lot there?

ElRam

FNG
I guess y’all just don’t get it. There are consequences for reporting people to the police. You may not believe that, and it may not be right but that’s often what happens. I do not condone the what the arsonist did. But be real y’all. It’s not about blood sweat and tears. It’s about how you deal with criminals. Come on private property over and over again and there would be consequences. He decided to let the law in a corrupt place take care of his problems. And this is what can happen.
And I’m still curious, why you are giving some podcast host your hard earned money?
No kids?
No desire to hunt Alaska?
No desire for a cabin of your own?
You mostly be crazy rich or just a goob who thinks a podcast host is more important than you and yours.
Seems like doing the right thing now-a-days is the wrong thing to do. Upside world I tell you.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
The tone of this thread is dusturbing. A man, who does a lot of good for conservation, had his property burned down for trying to do the right thing and it's despicable. Anyone victim blaming here really ought to be embarrassed at there outlook on life. As was mentioned, hillbilly thugs are no different than inner-city gang thugs and yes I have been around both much more extensively than I'd care to remember. I currently do live in the heart of Missouri and there are absolutely some very dangerous places, but that shouldn't stop someone from trying to do what is right. This guy was naive and admitted so, but the only real take away we/he should have is to proceed cautiously even when doing the righg thing. Always try to do better and be better and leave the world a better place. Being complacent out of fear makes you a coward and a failure.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

woods89

WKR
Some interesting info on the newest Meateater podcast. The suspect, as well as those who were spotlighting, (not the same people, but related) are in custody. The suspected arsonist ( I'm being generous here, as he's on camera) has a long rap sheet with both meth and poaching related convictions in the past. Ironically enough, he was nabbed when he showed up for probation.

Mr. Butler said that in the last week 3 different families have reached out to him from that same county who have had their houses burned out by suspected arson in the last year. This is kind of shocking to me, even being familiar with the greater, but not local to this incident, culture. Sounds like quite the little hornets nest over there.

I feel a little more heartened after hearing the latest report. Mr. Butler's connections are definitely bringing additional scrutiny to the way this is being handled. Maybe they finally messed with the wrong guy.

I sincerely hope my pessimism prior to this has been misplaced.

I don't think anyone is blaming the guy for doing the right thing. But in a small town in rural Missouri, or rural anywhere, the little towns usually get left to themselves and develop their own little cultures and clans. When the sheriff is also the volunteer fire chief and the brother of the mayor who is married to the sister of the judge who is the grandpa of the prosecuters husband, you do not have justice. You have in's and out's. And someone who leases land and calls in outside law enforcement, well that is an out buddy.

When we first bought our property in central Missouri, my dad had purchased a few hundred trees to plant. a couple dozen of the fancier ones went missing shortly after being planted and the neighbor somehow wound up with these same exact trees despite being no way to source them except through a very specific catalog. Curiously enough, our solid wood picnic table wound up in his shed that year too. After that my dad made a point to go the little diner where a few locals were and threatened anymore trespassing with the end of a barrel.

The neighbors then made it a point that anytime we had property too close to theirs on the edges, or within 10-50 yards of the property line, it was sprayed with herbicide. Including pecan, almond, peach and apple trees that had matured enough to mast. We also had been told that they would shoot anyone trespassing across their property.

20 years later, I have property to deer hunt on a neighboring property. And someone steals my cameras! I ask our direct neighbor if anyone was hunting this property and the exchange is comical.

''Hey its the neighbor south of you. Has anyone been on Geralds deer hunting?''

'Oh yeah, there has been someone hunting there the last couple years'

''Do you know who it is? Gerr said no one had permission and they stole my camera. I have a few pictures of him''

'No'

''Okay thanks.''

So in essence, most of these little communities get by on Rules for thee, Not for me. And have been for decades, unfortunately. So until a big change comes, nothing will happen to curb this culture.

Googled Shannon county.. holy cats.
The median income for a household in the county was $24,835, and the median income for a family was $30,102. Males had a median income of $21,917 versus $16,024 for females. The per capita income for the county was $13,127.

OP
A
I don't think anyone is blaming the guy for doing the right thing. But in a small town in rural Missouri, or rural anywhere, the little towns usually get left to themselves and develop their own little cultures and clans. When the sheriff is also the volunteer fire chief and the brother of the mayor who is married to the sister of the judge who is the grandpa of the prosecuters husband, you do not have justice. You have in's and out's. And someone who leases land and calls in outside law enforcement, well that is an out buddy.

When we first bought our property in central Missouri, my dad had purchased a few hundred trees to plant. a couple dozen of the fancier ones went missing shortly after being planted and the neighbor somehow wound up with these same exact trees despite being no way to source them except through a very specific catalog. Curiously enough, our solid wood picnic table wound up in his shed that year too. After that my dad made a point to go the little diner where a few locals were and threatened anymore trespassing with the end of a barrel.

The neighbors then made it a point that anytime we had property too close to theirs on the edges, or within 10-50 yards of the property line, it was sprayed with herbicide. Including pecan, almond, peach and apple trees that had matured enough to mast. We also had been told that they would shoot anyone trespassing across their property.

20 years later, I have property to deer hunt on a neighboring property. And someone steals my cameras! I ask our direct neighbor if anyone was hunting this property and the exchange is comical.

''Hey its the neighbor south of you. Has anyone been on Geralds deer hunting?''

'Oh yeah, there has been someone hunting there the last couple years'

''Do you know who it is? Gerr said no one had permission and they stole my camera. I have a few pictures of him''

'No'

''Okay thanks.''

So in essence, most of these little communities get by on Rules for thee, Not for me. And have been for decades, unfortunately. So until a big change comes, nothing will happen to curb this culture.

I think literally what most of us are saying is that the "big change" comes from people stepping up and doing the right thing. And we have one poster who seems OK with just sitting by and letting them get away with it instead.

Some interesting info on the newest Meateater podcast. The suspect, as well as those who were spotlighting, (not the same people, but related) are in custody. The suspected arsonist ( I'm being generous here, as he's on camera) has a long rap sheet with both meth and poaching related convictions in the past. Ironically enough, he was nabbed when he showed up for probation.

Mr. Butler said that in the last week 3 different families have reached out to him from that same county who have had their houses burned out by suspected arson in the last year. This is kind of shocking to me, even being familiar with the greater, but not local to this incident, culture. Sounds like quite the little hornets nest over there.

I feel a little more heartened after hearing the latest report. Mr. Butler's connections are definitely bringing additional scrutiny to the way this is being handled. Maybe they finally messed with the wrong guy.

I sincerely hope my pessimism prior to this has been misplaced.

I had to listen to the update quick, sounds like progress!

He has been bending the ear of the lieutenant Governor over this too so it's definitely getting some attention.

The tone of this thread is dusturbing. A man, who does a lot of good for conservation, had his property burned down for trying to do the right thing and it's despicable. Anyone victim blaming here really ought to be embarrassed at there outlook on life. As was mentioned, hillbilly thugs are no different than inner-city gang thugs and yes I have been around both much more extensively than I'd care to remember. I currently do live in the heart of Missouri and there are absolutely some very dangerous places, but that shouldn't stop someone from trying to do what is right. This guy was naive and admitted so, but the only real take away we/he should have is to proceed cautiously even when doing the righg thing. Always try to do better and be better and leave the world a better place. Being complacent out of fear makes you a coward and a failure.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Absolutely agree. The guy used this cabin to share hunting experiences with other people, including his daughters. This was the second time he had an issue with locals and irresponsible hunting practices. He did the right thing.