Brandon Butler's Cabin Burned Down by Poachers

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
As someone who grew up hunting, fishing and camping in those hills I’m surprised he called the police. I wonder what he thought might happen? Has the owner spent time with the community in the vicinity? Do they know him? Has he done his work? Or does he just hit the local mart on the way to the cabin? Some people only understand violence. This man has only himself to blame. He should have taken his own actions or none at all. Also, would you leave all your valuable keepsakes and memory items in a shack 3.5 hours from your residence? No sympathy.
?????

no thanks on that tone. Maybe I'm reading this wrong but c'mon? We'll let this one slide for now, but let's have a little more common courtesy.

And I’m still curious, why you are giving some podcast host your hard earned money?
No kids?
No desire to hunt Alaska?
No desire for a cabin of your own?
You mostly be crazy rich or just a goob who thinks a podcast host is more important than you and yours.

Welcome to rokslide where we talk about whether or not its worth it to spend $3200 for swarovski NL's to upgrade our $2800 ELs. I think some folks that aren't crazy rich can scrounge up $20 for a good cause.

I'd argue that throwing support behind someone who has paid the price for doing what is right by standing against poachers and arsonists is $$ much better spent than most of the crap we talk about wasting money on in these forums.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to rokslide where we talk about whether or not its worth it to spend $3200 for swarovski NL's to upgrade our $2800 ELs. I think some folks that aren't crazy rich can scrounge up $20 for a good cause.

I'd argue that throwing support behind someone who has paid the price for doing what is right by standing against poachers and arsonists is $$ much better spent than most of the crap we talk about wasting money on in these forums.
hilarious, guilty,

and I agree

dtrkyman

WKR
I say we all go to Shannon county this spring and hunt some Turks! Everyone show up opening morning and just surround the place!

Just looked at it on the map, hunted near there several years in a row, probably an hour away, never had any issues with locals at all!

stonewall

WKR
I say we all go to Shannon county this spring and hunt some Turks! Everyone show up opening morning and just surround the place!

Just looked at it on the map, hunted near there several years in a row, probably an hour away, never had any issues with locals at all!
It does look like really beautiful country

It does look like really beautiful country

It really is. Missouri is beautiful. We just don't have the extremes like Arkansas does with their Ozarks and Quichitas, so we aren't named the Gemstone state. The entire Mark Twain and Ozark areas are just pretty though.

I think literally what most of us are saying is that the "big change" comes from people stepping up and doing the right thing. And we have one poster who seems OK with just sitting by and letting them get away with it instead.

I think he was more on the line of saying calling the police in that area wasn't going to end like he thought it would. More than likely, gave the arson a target. Maybe I'm wrong and he's is as dumb as you think. I sure hope not.

cjl32

Lil-Rokslider
From another forum, I haven’t listened to Podcart yet:

from new Meateater podcast episode 257

The cabin owner had a game camera pointed at the cabin. But the memory card was missing. . . Suspicious.

Good thing that was his dummy/bait cam.

He also had two well-hidden game cams pointed at the cabin. Which the arsonist didn’t find and take the card out of. Those game cameras had pictures of a gentleman walking to the cabin carrying a rifle and a can of accelerant, and photos leaving the cabin carrying only the rifle (with flames in the background).

Those pics were given to the local police. They didn’t have any trouble finding the arsonist, because he has to come visit them regularly as part of his probation.

He was then arrested during his next probation visit, because he had recently been in prison for drugs. Also has a long rap sheet for general hellbilly stuff. He’s being held without bond now, facing four felonies.

But he wasn’t the “poacher.” The truck hunting poachers were three women, who have all confessed. But he’s like the boyfriend or whatever of one of the women-folk.

blackdawg

WKR
definitely very low IQ you can bet on that; I'd say 85+% chance of missing teeth and will go 50:50 on a mullet

I wouldn’t get to deep into stereotyping, some old guys here are just as bad, Reelfoot lake just yesterday, not far from where that cabin burned, classic example of privatization of public lands.
bd85eec50edc222f1ae261349b267446.jpg

Two dead, another airlifted out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whaack

WKR
The only way to deal with this type of behavior is to confront it and deal with it. Sounds like Mr Butler is doing just that. Good for him snd I hope he has the connections to put a permit change in place in that area.

blackdawg

WKR
The only way to deal with this type of behavior is to confront it and deal with it. Sounds like Mr Butler is doing just that. Good for him snd I hope he has the connections to put a permit change in place in that area.

From Illinois huh, maybe you could go down to the South Side of Chicago and confront the locals about their behavior, bad bad Leroy brown needs to be dealt with . I don’t know the answer but force will only breed more resistance, taking advantage of poverty by buying up the lands for recreation and flaunting wealth in their face probably isn’t going to make much headway.

kpk

WKR
add MN to that list

Where in MN?

I drove some backroads in south central MO due to a detour years ago. The only radio stations that you get are more than enough to make most non-locals feel very much out of place.

I get what kscreekguy is saying (although it could've been worded better). The guy didn't seem to have any idea of the area that he decided to buy a chunk of land in and build a cabin. It's like stepping back in time 100+ years.

Tradguy

FNG
I've been going to that area since I was a kid for family camping and float trips, headed to around that part of the state, here in two weeks, for a big winter float we do every year with a bunch of local Missouri guys. Some of the most genuine people I have met are from that area but some of the wildest characters also in habit those mountains and rivers. It doesn't take much to get lost in that part of the country. I hope he rebuilds, its sad but I would not give up on the dream.

Where in MN?

I drove some backroads in south central MO due to a detour years ago. The only radio stations that you get are more than enough to make most non-locals feel very much out of place.

I get what kscreekguy is saying (although it could've been worded better). The guy didn't seem to have any idea of the area that he decided to buy a chunk of land in and build a cabin. It's like stepping back in time 100+ years.

I wondered the same.. I've lived around the country and spent time throughout MN and the only thing really comparable I can think of is on the reservations. But that's kind of a given?

3forks

WKR
This discussion on how crime in some areas is viewed and how to change/deal with it reminded me of an incident where a town bully was murdered in broad daylight in front of a crowd and no one saw a thing.

Coincidentally, it happened in MO.

*I’m certainly not advocating vigilante justice. The story just reminded me of the incident and looked it up to remember the details and was surprised to see it happened in Missouri too.

whaack

WKR
From Illinois huh, maybe you could go down to the South Side of Chicago and confront the locals about their behavior, bad bad Leroy brown needs to be dealt with . I don’t know the answer but force will only breed more resistance, taking advantage of poverty by buying up the lands for recreation and flaunting wealth in their face probably isn’t going to make much headway.

Well, If I had to move to Chicago-land and someone broke into my house bet your butt I would not just respond by saying "well, this is the way its always been in this part of the country so I'll just let it slide.".

What a ridiculous train of thought.