Brass question

Curious if anyone's seen similar lines on brass or what it could be? Norma brass once fired, the lines go away after I tumble the brass. Started leaving marks on the brass recently. I've never noticed it until I shot this weekend.
f3cdcd57d46e4ea2e5b9f78773b96f40.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
SneakyThunderCat
That's good info. I honestly never even thought about that. Makes complete sense, and the bullets have been sitting in the same case for about a year.

I had a box of unfired ADG in my truck and the rattling around from the box left lines like that, I started cutting pieces of foam to put on top and it helps

Case number four from the left as well, just to the right of the shiny reflection.

OP
SneakyThunderCat
Is that common with once fired brass? I will definitely check it out!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t say it is common but I think if you shoot as much as most of us do you will get a bad batch once in a while.

A buddy once gave me about 250 pieces of once fired 22-250 brass. I tumbled them all and when I inspected them about 25 pieces had split. I got rid of all the ones with that head stamp.

Agree with the above post. It's not par for the course to have split necks on the first firing, but metallurgy happens. I can count on two hands the number of split necks in 30 years of reloading. Definitely not common, unless the brass gets overworked through repeated firings in sizings.

Wrench

WKR
A better pic of the neck would help. Norma is typically quite soft brass and splitting on one firing is very abnormal for them.....but not impossible. It could be a drag mark from extraction or defect....need a better pic, and it appears cases to the right also show a potential similar mark.