Break action vs bolt action

I'm looking to get a Colorado elk legal muzzle-loader. To me it makes sense to have a bolt action center fire because I shoot to 600-800 yards (obviously for rifle hunts) but for a Colorado legal muzzle-loader I will probably be limited to 200-250 with open sights and I think a break action is the better option. Am I wrong on this? The only muzzle-loader I have is a CVA apex smokeless that is 45 cal so I can't do anything with it.

87TT

WKR
A two hundred yard shot with open sights is no piece of cake without a LOT of practice with a centerfire let alone a ML. Don't overthink it and limit your shots to what you can consistently hit. a ML will have more drop than a centerfire so if you sight it in at one range the other will be a different hold. Elk deserve the respect to be as efficient as possible.

rayporter

WKR
either way would not bother me. i assumed that you had the ability for 250 from your post but your only going to get that one shot. so it could be a sewer pipe or a bolt or break action.

at my best i was limited to 150 with open sights. i just accepted that.

at 72 with irons, i am still limited to 150 ...............................................................feet,

OP
Y
A two hundred yard shot with open sights is no piece of cake without a LOT of practice with a centerfire let alone a ML. Don't overthink it and limit your shots to what you can consistently hit. a ML will have more drop than a centerfire so if you sight it in at one range the other will be a different hold. Elk deserve the respect to be as efficient as possible.
I agree...that's why i'm looking at it now so I have time to get myself and my gear ready. I just wanted to bounce my thinking off of others as some have more experience than me.

OXN939

WKR
I agree...that's why i'm looking at it now so I have time to get myself and my gear ready. I just wanted to bounce my thinking off of others as some have more experience than me.

Agreed with 87TT. I spent some time getting my CO/ NV legal rig into shape and playing with its ballistics this year. 150 is a hell of a long way, both because of accuracy considerations and how much energy you lose with a muzzleloader beyond that. Highly recommend taking a 6" steel plate out to 200 yards and seeing how it goes with irons before setting that as a max effective range.