Breakdown of my DREAM rifle (what is yours?)

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The current dream rifle is on the way... be here next week.

Impact Titan Action
Manners Eh4 w ultra light cheek riser and Hawkins hunter BM w custom cerakote job
TT Diamond
Proof 16.5” 6 CM w cerakote to match stock
Threaded, chambered, and bedded by Altus. Will wear a Vortex AMG-5 w Hawkins ultra light rings.
atlas bipod w matching cerakote

View attachment 293168View attachment 293169
Congratulation on a rockin' rifle build! What do you plan to use it for?

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm slowly buying parts and reloading components for this gun. Realistic dream, as cost no object would maybe be an AnTi action with a Bartlein carbon 400MODBB and March scope or something. But this one may actually happen:
View attachment 293294
Mike from Hells Canyon Armory has some carbon packages built off Tikka actions that cost about the same. May be worth looking into

What percent recoil reduction do you think a suppressor gives? I have a suppressor, but it's on a to 223 so it's hard to tell
I believe the PRB tests years ago showed about 20-25% reduction for the Ultra-9. For me it's more than just a net recoil reduction though. Suppressors not only reduce recoil, they also slow down the recoil impulse into more of a smoothed out shove than a kick. So the recoil is less sudden, plus it eliminates muzzle concussion entirely. The combination of all 3 is what makes suppressors so pleasant to use.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I believe the PRB tests years ago showed about 20-25% reduction for the Ultra-9. For me it's more than just a net recoil reduction though. Suppressors not only reduce recoil, they also slow down the recoil impulse into more of a smoothed out shove than a kick. So the recoil is less sudden, plus it eliminates muzzle concussion entirely. The combination of all 3 is what makes suppressors so pleasant to use.
Thanks for the great explanation. I think the reduction in muzzle blast contributes a lot to making rifles more pleasant to shoot

Weston

Lil-Rokslider
Built mine earlier this year,

Lone Peak titanium action, a proof sendero lite carbon fiber barrel (24”), a trigger tech diamond 2 stage trigger, a jet blast muzzle brake, and an AG Composites carbon fiber chalk branch stock Nightforce NX8 scope and Hawkins rings. The rifle it self came in at 6 pounds and just under an ounce. it shoots half MOA all day long, and is chambered in 6.5 Sherman Short.

This was my dream rifle, I spared no expense and bought what I thought was the best for each category (other than scope I had to limit myself a bit there but man those ZCO's were tempting.

Luke at Arrowhead rifles built it, he has built me two phenomenal rifles so far.

Attachments

• rifle.jpg
    rifle.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 59
OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Built mine earlier this year,

Lone Peak titanium action, a proof sendero lite carbon fiber barrel (24”), a trigger tech diamond 2 stage trigger, a jet blast muzzle brake, and an AG Composites carbon fiber chalk branch stock Nightforce NX8 scope and Hawkins rings. The rifle it self came in at 6 pounds and just under an ounce. it shoots half MOA all day long, and is chambered in 6.5 Sherman Short.

This was my dream rifle, I spared no expense and bought what I thought was the best for each category (other than scope I had to limit myself a bit there but man those ZCO's were tempting.

Luke at Arrowhead rifles built it, he has built me two phenomenal rifles so far.
Aww man, that is a ridiculously nice rifle! I can't believe how light it is. How much weight do you figure the titanium action saved?

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks but they run $3100 with the action (compared to about $2200 for that build without scope), and don't list 284 win.
That's true, you can usually do it a bit cheaper by hiring a gunsmith to put together all the pieces that you purchase. As a person who's done that though, one thing I wonder sometimes is about the resale value. If we ever change our minds and want to sell a gun, I fear we won't get much for a Franken-rifle versus one with a brand name.

Axlrod

WKR
Have you used Bergers on elk before? I've wanted to, but psych myself out because I fear they won't be tough enough
Yea the 215 and the .284 180 HVLD I have seen used or used myself many many times. I have zero issues using them. But you need to have confidence in your own setup. So find something with a high BC that gives you confidence when you shoot it. Put it through both lungs and you will soon have a heavy pack!

As a guy who hunts timber for blacktails and elk, but might get a poke across a clearcut, the perfect rifle is something that:

1: Handles quickly/well balanced
2: Light enough to be carried in the hands
3: Stable enough to shoot accurately out to 400 yards
4: Resistant to wet conditions

Remington 700 Mountain Rifle converted to ADL in a McMillan KS pattern with EDGE fill, Leupold FXII 6x36 in low Leupold DD mounts and rings. 280 Remington

FBB46C8A-670D-4EC3-9F63-48041BCDD628.jpeg

OR

When the weather is good:
74AC45CA-1BF1-45FC-90AC-609CDDE68A9C.jpeg
Winchester M70 FWT, Leupold FXII 6x36 in Leupold DD mounts and rings, 7x57 Mauser.

Eric_F

FNG
That's true, you can usually do it a bit cheaper by hiring a gunsmith to put together all the pieces that you purchase. As a person who's done that though, one thing I wonder sometimes is about the resale value. If we ever change our minds and want to sell a gun, I fear we won't get much for a Franken-rifle versus one with a brand name.
Well, $900 (30%) cheaper is more than a little bit, at least to me. And I love my franken Tikka. But sure, cost no object I'd give my play money to a smith.

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yea the 215 and the .284 180 HVLD I have seen used or used myself many many times. I have zero issues using them. But you need to have confidence in your own setup. So find something with a high BC that gives you confidence when you shoot it. Put it through both lungs and you will soon have a heavy pack!
I think you nailed it right on the head about using whatever it is that gives you confidence. Thanks for your input!

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
As a guy who hunts timber for blacktails and elk, but might get a poke across a clearcut, the perfect rifle is something that:

Remington 700 Mountain Rifle converted to ADL in a McMillan KS pattern with EDGE fill, Leupold FXII 6x36 in low Leupold DD mounts and rings. 280 Remington

View attachment 294400

OR

View attachment 294413
Winchester M70 FWT, Leupold FXII 6x36 in Leupold DD mounts and rings, 7x57 Mauser.
Both those rifles are rad!

View attachment 294400

OR

View attachment 294413
YUP!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

View attachment 294400

OR

View attachment 294413

What’s the weight on that nice mountain rifle?