Breakdown of my DREAM rifle (what is yours?)

Recently got my dream rifle.

Bergara Approach in .308
I was lucky that it ended up fitting my body exactly as I had hoped and I couldn't be happier with it.
It's a bit heavier than some of the more svelt mountain rifles, but to be frank, I hate recoil and the Approach's weight along with a discreet comp handles recoil very well. The QD sling slots on the sides of the rifle also allow it to be carried in a way that nothing rubs into my shoulder or back. In any case I'm super thrilled that I'm done buying rifles... for awhile.....

TomJoad

WKR
Dream rifle:
Fanzoj KB-1 in 7x57r
Leica Magnus 1.5-10x42i rail scope

So I’ve recently made some progress towards my dream hunting rifle... sort of. Let’s be realistic for a minute. While I’d love to have a Fanzoj one day, it’s not remotely in the cards, that’s why it’s “dream status” but realistically what I want is an EU single shot stalking rifle. They are light, handy, packable and typically beautifully stocked.

Like the OP I always prefer walnut, my current elk rifle is a walnut stocked 308w kimber 84m which is 6lbs and change all in. It’s a great mtn rifle, light accurate and fun to carry... but I’ve always lusted after a European single shot stalking rifle. My first elk was taken with a Ruger No 1b which weighed nearly 10lbs all in. Since then I’ve always wanted a light single shot, but never had love for pistol gripped encores.

The new rig:
Blaser K95 Stutzen 5.5lbs
20” 30-06 octagon barrel
Blaser QD rings
Swaro Z33-10x42

Current 30-06 caliber is not my top choice for this rig but serviceable with the 20” barrel and 30cal projectiles. I handload and I’ll be tuning some lightweight Hammer Hunters for this setup for speed and reduced recoil. The great thing about the Blaser Kipplauf rifles is you can add as many barrels as you want at any time. This current configuration is a fully stocked stutzen with a 20” barrel but I’ll plan to layer a few 24” round barrels to use with just the forend. Ideally a 6.5x57r and a 22 hornet, but we’ll see what comes along.

so many things to love about these rifles... price is not one of them:
- 5.5 lbs
- tiny package that breaks in half in seconds with no tools
- incredible accuracy
- quick detach scope mounts, stalk dense timber with iron sights, quickly apply scope if needed for shots past 100 yards.

It won’t be here for another few weeks but here’s it in takedown mode, I cannot wait to stuff this thing in my backpack this fall!

Attachments

• 21ABECFD-E247-4937-892D-2067D0690916.jpeg
    21ABECFD-E247-4937-892D-2067D0690916.jpeg
    269.6 KB · Views: 32
I have mine completed for the most part.
Bighorn TL3 LH SA
Bartlein M24 15" 6 creed
Triggertech diamond
KRG Bravo (this will get replaced at some point)
Vortex PST gen 2 (Will get upgraded later)

Dinger

WKR
Dream rifle:
Fanzoj KB-1 in 7x57r
Leica Magnus 1.5-10x42i rail scope

So I’ve recently made some progress towards my dream hunting rifle... sort of. Let’s be realistic for a minute. While I’d love to have a Fanzoj one day, it’s not remotely in the cards, that’s why it’s “dream status” but realistically what I want is an EU single shot stalking rifle. They are light, handy, packable and typically beautifully stocked.

Like the OP I always prefer walnut, my current elk rifle is a walnut stocked 308w kimber 84m which is 6lbs and change all in. It’s a great mtn rifle, light accurate and fun to carry... but I’ve always lusted after a European single shot stalking rifle. My first elk was taken with a Ruger No 1b which weighed nearly 10lbs all in. Since then I’ve always wanted a light single shot, but never had love for pistol gripped encores.

The new rig:
Blaser K95 Stutzen 5.5lbs
20” 30-06 octagon barrel
Blaser QD rings
Swaro Z33-10x42

Current 30-06 caliber is not my top choice for this rig but serviceable with the 20” barrel and 30cal projectiles. I handload and I’ll be tuning some lightweight Hammer Hunters for this setup for speed and reduced recoil. The great thing about the Blaser Kipplauf rifles is you can add as many barrels as you want at any time. This current configuration is a fully stocked stutzen with a 20” barrel but I’ll plan to layer a few 24” round barrels to use with just the forend. Ideally a 6.5x57r and a 22 hornet, but we’ll see what comes along.

so many things to love about these rifles... price is not one of them:
- 5.5 lbs
- tiny package that breaks in half in seconds with no tools
- incredible accuracy
- quick detach scope mounts, stalk dense timber with iron sights, quickly apply scope if needed for shots past 100 yards.

It won’t be here for another few weeks but here’s it in takedown mode, I cannot wait to stuff this thing in my backpack this fall!
Be careful, you won't want any other rifle after it arrives. Eye wateringly expensive, but worth every damn cent.
I have mine in 8x57R & 7x65R. A Hornet tube and maybe a 6.5x57R is on the cards.

20170425_070335-X4.jpg

i-wT5QCtD-X3.jpg

i-3crzhGF-X3.jpg

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'd have D'arcy Echols build me one. I'd have to think a bit on what caliber.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have several custom rifles for specific uses but overall it’s probably my 300 WSM.

- Mack Brothers Evo Ti SA
-5 dbm bottom metal
-24” 1:9 proof sendero light
-Area 419 hellfire brake
- Mesa Precison Altitude stock
- Trigger tech trigger
- Seekins bipod rail
- NF 4-16 Atacr

Weighs 8lb 11oz scoped with a full magazine and bipod.4BED2FE8-0D75-4624-AE1D-E6619F0E6041.jpeg

Last edited:
I wanted to push some of the heavier 7mm bullets faster than the 7-08 could in a shorter barrel. I also built a form1 can and don't like packing even my 20" barrel with 8" stuck on the end.

So I'm in the process of building a
LA Tikka T3X
7SAUM 18" carbon6 barrel
Mountain tactical DBM
Talley lightweight rings
Razor LHT 3-15x42
Grayboe Phoenix stock
8" Form 1 Can

Will post pics as more parts come in.

After packing around my savage 110 I got as a kid last year and heavily modifying it, I think I have it all figured out. Shorter, lighter, smoother action, and a little more punch. Wanted something between 6.5 and 338 for Elk. I have a beautiful Kimber 84M in 338 Win Mag that is light as a feather and fits me perfectly. I hardly feel the recoil and I have no idea how that works.

Last edited:

Seeknelk

WKR
Ag composites alpine hunter
9 twist proof carbon at 24"
MBM titanium beast brake
Alamo precision action
Trigger tech special
BDL
Flush gunsmith mount for javelin bipod( sleek quick bipod set up, love it!) So light yet solid enough.
Tapped for arca plate
300 prc w 215 berger or 225 eld, going to dive into hammer absolutes also. Try a fast and flat approach to 600 yards ish.
Bushnell LRTSi
20 moa rail
Seekins rings
Its a nice lighter rig 8.5# I think all up. but has that larger comfy fit I need for long shots. But handles well for stalking.
I have a Thunderbeast dominus cb in jail. Once I get that..I may rebarrel with a carbon 6 of say 20 inch. That will still reach my range requirements and not leave me feeling handcuffed while still hunting mulies or tracking bulls. Handcuffed in that I'm NOT pulling the trigger without ear pro in place but sometimes seconds are all you have...
Anyone ever cut a one piece rail into a two piece? Its should work right? Especially since it's lapped and epoxied?
I miss putting my thumb under the scope. When stalking , tracking.

I have several custom rifles for specific uses but overall it’s probably my 300 WSM.

- Mack Brothers Evo Ti SA
-5 dbm bottom metal
-24” 1:9 proof sendero light
-Area 419 hellfire brake
- Mesa Precison Altitude stock
- Trigger tech trigger
- Seekins bipod rail
- NF 4-16 Atacr

Weighs 8lb 11oz scoped with a full magazine and bipod.View attachment 296536
Remember when this one was for sale and kinda regret not buying. Would agree this is very close to what I would consider my dream rifle

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dream Rifles change with time and technology... my newest rifle is exactly what I wanted so I just bought it already built.

Manners EH1
Proof Barrel
7RM pushing a Berger 180s at 3100fps
Zeiss V6 3-18

Whole works is at 9# loaded up and has been shooting 1/2" -3/4" groups consistently.

264 MHC

FNG
I have a couple that I would consider dream guns and have plans for another, but not for awhile.

My long(er) range gun:

IMG_4785.jpg

Shilen DGR Long action left hand
Preferred Barrel Blanks 1:8 #5 Contour 280 AI with custom throat for 184 Berger Hybrids - Spiral Fluted 25"
Triggertech Primary @2 Lbs
HS Precision DBM
Mesa Altitude Stock, bedded, flush cups, Spartan Gunsmith Adapter
Area 419 Hellfire Suppressor Adapter
Shilen Pic Rail
Seekins Low (.820) 30mm Rings
Trijicon Accupoint 4-24x50 MOA dot reticle
Flatline Ops Level

Weighs 9lbs 9oz All up and shoots 184 Bergers 2898 fps over RL 23 in Peterson Brass

Lighter weight Medium Range Gun:

IMG_4786.jpg

Tikka T3 Stainless Action Left Hand (Started as a 22-250 I picked up for $500 barely used)
Carbon 6 1:7.5 Twist Sendero Profile chambered in 264 MHC (6.5x55 improved 35* Shoulder, my design, Manson reamer) throated for 156 Berger EH, 21"
Tikka Factory Trigger with Mountain Tactical 2Lb Spring
Mountain Tactical Long Action Bolt Stop
MTN Gear (New Zealand) 3D Printed Titanium Bolt handle (11 Grams)
Mountain Tactical Billet Bolt Shroud
Wrought Iron Bolt Fluting by LRI
T3x Factory Stock with Vertical Grip (purchased from a Member here through another forum)
Barrel channel opened to accept carbon barrel
Tikka factory bottom plastic with 3 and 5 rd 30-06 mags
Area 419 Pic Rail
Zeiss 30mm Low (.850) Rings with level
Zeiss V4 4-16x44 Zmoa T30 Reticle Illuminated

Weighs 8 Lbs 2 oz All up and Shoots 156 Berger EH 2830 or 130 Berger AR Hybrid 3080 (current Load)

I use an Energetic Armament Vox S 30 Cal Suppressor (12 oz) on everything With the Area 419 Adapters, great system.

Plans for the Future:

Ultralight small 6mm of some sort, probably 6 BR. Shooting for under 7 lbs Scoped
Terminus Apollo Lite Short Action most likely
Peak 44 Carbon Stock 20oz
Shouldered prefit barrel, not sure from who yet, maybe carbon, Definitely 16" 1:7.5 Twist and threaded for Suppressor
Hawkins Hunter DBM and Mag
Flush cups/ Spartan Adapter
Not sure on scope yet. Would like a 16 oz 2-10 with illuminated reticle that has moa hash marks and Ideally an exposed elevation turret that's not made in China but I don't think this exists currently
Would likely use Berger 105 HVLD, 108 Elite or 95 HVLD depending on what shot the best.

I think this would make a very handy 0-400 Yd Deer stand rifle. I will probably wait till my son is old enough (9 months old now) and build this for him.

Great Thread

Attachments

• IMG_4786.jpg
    IMG_4786.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 9
OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a couple that I would consider dream guns and have plans for another, but not for awhile.

My long(er) range gun:

View attachment 481746

Shilen DGR Long action left hand
Preferred Barrel Blanks 1:8 #5 Contour 280 AI with custom throat for 184 Berger Hybrids - Spiral Fluted 25"
Triggertech Primary @2 Lbs
HS Precision DBM
Mesa Altitude Stock, bedded, flush cups, Spartan Gunsmith Adapter
Shilen Pic Rail
Seekins Low (.820) 30mm Rings
Trijicon Accupoint 4-24x50 MOA dot reticle
Flatline Ops Level

Weighs 9lbs 9oz All up and shoots 184 Bergers 2898 fps over RL 23 in Peterson Brass

Lighter weight Medium Range Gun:

View attachment 481747

Tikka T3 Stainless Action Left Hand (Started as a 22-250 I picked up for $500 barely used)
Carbon 6 1:7.5 Twist Sendero Profile chambered in 264 MHC (6.5x55 improved 35* Shoulder, my design, Manson reamer) throated for 156 Berger EH, 21"
Tikka Factory Trigger with Mountain Tactical 2Lb Spring
Mountain Tactical Long Action Bolt Stop
MTN Gear (New Zealand) 3D Printed Titanium Bolt handle (11 Grams)
Mountain Tactical Billet Bolt Shroud
Wrought Iron Bolt Fluting by LRI
T3x Factory Stock with Vertical Grip (purchased from a Member here through another forum)
Barrel channel opened to accept carbon barrel
Tikka factory bottom plastic with 3 and 5 rd 30-06 mags
Area 419 Pic Rail
Zeiss 30mm Low (.850) Rings with level
Zeiss V4 4-16x44 Zmoa T30 Reticle Illuminated

Weighs 8 Lbs 2 oz All up and Shoots 156 Berger EH 2830 or 130 Berger AR Hybrid 3080 (current Load)

I use an Energetic Armament Vox S 30 Cal Suppressor (12 oz) on everything With the Area 419 Adapters, great system.

Plans for the Future:

Ultralight small 6mm of some sort, probably 6 BR. Shooting for under 7 lbs Scoped
Terminus Apollo Lite Short Action most likely
Peak 44 Carbon Stock 20oz
Shouldered prefit barrel, not sure from who yet, maybe carbon, Definitely 16" 1:7.5 Twist and threaded for Suppressor
Hawkins Hunter DBM and Mag
Flush cups/ Spartan Adapter
Not sure on scope yet. Would like a 16 oz 2-10 with illuminated reticle that has moa hash marks and Ideally an exposed elevation turret that's not made in China but I don't think this exists currently
Would likely use Berger 105 HVLD, 108 Elite or 95 HVLD depending on what shot the best.

I think this would make a very handy 0-400 Yd Deer stand rifle. I will probably wait till my son is old enough (9 months old now) and build this for him.

Great Thread
Wow, you put an incredible amount of thought into these builds! It's cool that you want to use one of those Peak 44 carbon stocks. I think they're a neat looking design and I'm excited to see how they work out

OP
Oregon Hunter

Oregon Hunter

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Dream Rifles change with time and technology... my newest rifle is exactly what I wanted so I just bought it already built.

Manners EH1
Proof Barrel
7RM pushing a Berger 180s at 3100fps
Zeiss V6 3-18

Whole works is at 9# loaded up and has been shooting 1/2" -3/4" groups consistently.

That sounds like a well thought out, simple rifle for hunting. More and more I'm beginning to like uncomplicated designs when hunting is the main objective