Breakfast burritos

2ski

WKR
Thinking about making up and freezing a bunch of breakfast burritos. Then they're available to grab, microwave, and go. I'm thinking eggs, black beans, cheese, bell pepper, and sweet onion. Any other suggestions? I'd like to make up something with some good sustained energy in it. Not a gut bomb. I don't really want to do pork or bacon. I spaced and had all my antelope non-steaks made into burger and not breakfast sausage. Otherwise I'd do that.

JD619er

WKR
I did that for two hunting camps this year. I'm usually the breakfast guy and I did it for more convenience than anything. Id wake up an hour early and throw them on the wood stove wrapped in foil. Then I'd wrap mine in my puffy and throw it in my pack and it would be warm for hours.

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
Jimmie Deans pork sausage sautéed and crumbled with the grease drained of. The hot version which is rather mild in a breakfast burrito.

Reactions: ZDR

Stalker69

WKR
You said you made hamburger, well the only thing you have to do is add spices of what ever verity to get you the sausage you want. Breakfast sausage or chorizo most likely. Another thing I like to add to my breakfast burritos is homemade green chili.

jmez

WKR
I make them but I add sausage. When you microwave them, wrap them in a wet paper towel. If you don't the tortilla gets hard and cracks/breaks apart.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I make them with black beans, corn, potatoes, peppers and onions-plus the meat of your choice. They are camp and home favorites. Use cheese as a "glue" to keep the flap of tortilla down, and place in panini press for a few minutes to seal it, and give good crisp to the outside so they wont get soggy and be a mess on re heat

87TT

WKR
I make mine up in a batch with Potatoes, onion, sweet peppers, elk sausage and avocado, after that is cooked, I add eggs (beaten) stirring until the eggs are cooked. Cover it with cheese and salsa and let the cheese melt. Spoon it in a warm flour tortilla and eat or wrap in foil. I refrigerate or freeze the cooked egg mixture and reheat and make burritos when needed. I found reheating already made burritos that have been refrigerated or frozen makes the tortillas slimy. You can also roll it up in heated corn tortillas for a kind of egg enchilada.

To not have at least a little green chile in a breakfast burrito just isn't a burrito. Breakfast wrap maybe

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Hahaha you much be from NM or Southern Colorado?

Unfortunately un the NW green chilie isn't a thing.
I can't even think of a place to buy hatch chilie especially roasted.
Nobody in store parking lots roasting them by the bushels.
Its sad really 😞

Steve759

FNG
For me, pork is a must...preferably chorizo. If you are anti-pork in a breakfast burrito, then Trader Joe’s sells a soy chorizo that is pretty dang good. Also, cube a potato and pan fry in a skillet and put some of that in the burrito.

The ultimate breakfast burrito is made with machacado, but I don’t know where to buy it. I get machacado breakfast burritos at my local Mexican restaurant. They are heavenly.

HoneyDew

WKR
For me, pork is a must...preferably chorizo. If you are anti-pork in a breakfast burrito, then Trader Joe’s sells a soy chorizo that is pretty dang good. Also, cube a potato and pan fry in a skillet and put some of that in the burrito.

The ultimate breakfast burrito is made with machacado, but I don’t know where to buy it. I get machacado breakfast burritos at my local Mexican restaurant. They are heavenly.
I think that’s the first time I’ve ever seen soy recommended on here. Not judging just surprised 😅

I was gonna offer some sage advice until you bashed bacon and sausage like some porkiphobe racist.
Now you can just FN starve.

013.png

EastMT

WKR
We make them for vacation, road trips, hunting trips etc. so much better and easier than picking up junk food along the way.

Eggs, potatoes, refried beans, cheese, maybe beef bacon, or seasoned ground chicken instead of Reg meats

Wrap them in foil, cook on the fire, stove etc, or eat cold on the run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP

2ski

WKR
Thanks for the suggestions guys. And to set the record straight, I'm not anti pork or sausage. They're awesome. Just was looking for options with a leaner meat.

Whisky

WKR
Ham is pretty dang lean. Or Turkey bacon.
Pulled chicken breast simmered in some sort of Pollo seasoning would be ok as well.
Lots of options.

My understanding is you make Machado
Its basically a version of pot roast I believe.

We've made them with turkey breakfast sausage (not my call) if you are looking to add a leaner meat. We use the jalapeno cheddar tortillas and use cheese sauce instead of shredded cheese. Everything else mentioned above goes in too.