Breakfast burritos

MThuntr

WKR
Cook your ground antelope with some breakfast sausage spices and a bit of bacon grease (or olive oil)...you need the grease to be the transport for the fat soluble flavors as well as help things from being dry. It won't be too fatty if you use like a tablespoon. Mix with your choice of melty cheese, eggs, black beans or potatoes, and chiles then wrap in quality tortilla...freeze as necessary. A bit of salsa after cooking helps too.

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
Try smoking a pork shoulder and adding that. A long process but smoked pork freezes very well.

Another option would be pork carnitas.

NV HUNTER

WKR
Left over ham from thanksgiving or Christmas dinner chopped up.
diced potatoes and onions.
eggs
Cheese
Green chili

Stalker69

WKR
To not have at least a little green chile in a breakfast burrito just isn't a burrito. Breakfast wrap maybe

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
So true, plus it helps the tortilla from drying out, and adds some moisture to the burrito. Soooooo much better with green chili.

Last edited:

Stalker69

WKR
Hahaha you much be from NM or Southern Colorado?

Unfortunately un the NW green chilie isn't a thing.
I can't even think of a place to buy hatch chilie especially roasted.
Nobody in store parking lots roasting them by the bushels.
Its sad really 😞
You don’t need the roasted hatch chili’s you find on the street ( unless you want chili relleno’s). Grocery stores have little cans of green chili along with jalapeños that are diced and help make a great home made green chili. Breakfast burritos with out green chili, is like heaven with out angles.

WKR
I did that for two hunting camps this year. I'm usually the breakfast guy and I did it for more convenience than anything. Id wake up an hour early and throw them on the wood stove wrapped in foil. Then I'd wrap mine in my puffy and throw it in my pack and it would be warm for hours.
That is the way, on a hot surface. They get too mushy if you boil them.
Other thing I've found is that you really need to let them get nice and cool before you vac seal them or same problem, they just steam and turn to mush.

My preferred way is to premake all the ingredients (except maybe the cheese) and vac seal that. Boil that up in the morning while using a pan or the wood stove to warm up tortillas. Put tortilla on a plate, cut a corner off the fillings bag and squirt some on, "here's your breakfast, cheese and hot sauce are over there".

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Carpenterant

Lil-Rokslider
Gotta have the green Chile for sure, even if it’s in a can. I like to use hash browns nice and crispy, scrambled eggs, green chiles, breakfast sausage or bacon and sharp cheddar. If I’m at home salsa, at camp little packets of tapatio. The salsa or hot sauce makes it soggy if you make it before hand.

Steve759

FNG
Funny coincidence....today Hank Shaw published a recipe for homemade machaca in his weekly wild game recipe blog. Looks pretty easy to make and provides a lean meat option for making killer breakfast burritos. The machaca softens up when heated with the eggs.

How To Make Machaca

Funny coincidence....today Hank Shaw published a recipe for homemade machaca in his weekly wild game recipe blog. Looks pretty easy to make and provides a lean meat option for making killer breakfast burritos. The machaca softens up when heated with the eggs.

How To Make Machaca
Anything by Hank Shaw is fire x2 for this recipe.

Laramie

WKR
I just made my 1st batch of elk breakfast sausage.
Haven't tried it yet but we may have some serious burritos on our hands.
Sacrilege to make elk into sausage in my household...

As for the burritos, shredded chicken actually works great with eggs in a burrito. My full ingredients are egg, real hashbrowns, shredded chicken breast, sautéed sweet bell pepper, and sharp cheddar. I also add a dash of Zaaschila habanero salsa or green chili if I want a little spice.

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
You don’t need the roasted hatch chili’s you find on the street ( unless you want chili relleno’s). Grocery stores have little cans of green chili along with jalapeños that are diced and help make a great home made green chili. Breakfast burritos with out green chili, is like heaven with out angles.
Exactly. And if your in a pinch 505 green chile in a jar with the salsa at the store is passable. If you can find it, Mark Schlereth of the broncos makes a "stinking good green chile" that is almost homeade quality

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Autumn

FNG
Eggs, quinoa, sautéed peppers and onions, meat of choice - bacon is a favorite, bit of mustard and/or hot sauce, bit of plain greek yogurt, jalapeno cheese, toss it all in a coconut flour wrap. Heat them up on a cast iron pan on a stove or over the fire.

Gbrecka

Lil-Rokslider
Season the antelope burger with taco seasoning. We use left over taco meat with eggs all the time.

Laramie

WKR
Tried a new recipe this weekend everyone seemed to like.

Eggs
Hashbrowns
Pulled Pork
Black Beans
Roasted Poblano Peppers
Shredded Cheese blend

Once burritos were wrapped, we browned them on two sides in a hot skillet with a little oil in the bottom.

rideold

WKR
I make breakfast sausage with chicken breast or thighs. I like it better in the early morning because there isn't much fat to it so the beans and eggs go well with it. I don't put cheese in mine either. I figure the simpler the food the easier it is to eat!

brocksw

WKR
Jimmie Deans pork sausage sautéed and crumbled with the grease drained of. The hot version which is rather mild in a breakfast burrito.
Not to derail the thread, but I have a buddy who mixes Jimmie Deans sausage with Northern Pike and makes "fish patties". Absolutely delicious.

OP

2ski

WKR
I make breakfast sausage with chicken breast or thighs. I like it better in the early morning because there isn't much fat to it so the beans and eggs go well with it. I don't put cheese in mine either. I figure the simpler the food the easier it is to eat!
I like this idea. I don't want a ball of grease in the morning and sonkuch breakfast meat is fatty.