Breakfast Sausage

Beam92

FNG
Hey all,

Got my first elk this year and wanting to make some breakfast sausage out of some of the grind. I’ve been looking at the Hi Mountain Prairie Sage Blend. Anybody tried this one out? My fiancé and I love sage sausage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
I use Eldon's out of Spokane. It's the only salami seasoning that matched what we got when I was growing up. Lots of options there along with supplies.

Jeremy

204guy

WKR
LEM breakfast & hot breakfast have been good. AC legg #10 is good and cheaper.

Whatever you seasoning you use make sure to add enough pork or pork fat or it'll be like flavored hamburger. We use 20-25% pure pork fat.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I got some some seasoning from sportsman’s warehouse that was surprisingly good. My wife brought it home and I thought it was going to suck but it was good.

shtrbc

Lil-Rokslider
AC Legg makes a ton of great seasoning. we like the #10 for pork but they have varieties with more sage etc...

A bit of a twist but I like chorizo. Jesse Griffith has a cookbook called Afield that I like and this recipe is in that book along with a few other good ones.

Recipe

1 1/2 ounces kosher salt
1 tablespoons dried Mexican oregano
3 tablespoons dried chile (I use a mix of paprika, bolsa chile and western chile)
1 tablespoons cumin seeds
1 teaspoons black pepper
5 pounds pork shoulder, diced
1/4 cups red wine vinegar

Chorizo Directions
Grind the salt, chile powder, Mexican oregano, cumin and black pepper in a spice grinder until fine. Mix the spices with the pork and add the vinegar. Allow to marinate for several hours, refrigerated.
Grind through a meat grinder with a fine plate, then mix well. Use within 5 days or freeze for later use.

peterk123

WKR
Steve Rinella's The Meateater Recipe Book has a ridiculously good breakfast sausage made from Wild Turkey. I bet it would be great with elk meat. It uses bacon to add some fat and diced and sautéed apples and onions, with various spices. I think he is a bit heavy on the thyme, I tend to substitute it with coriander. But it is very, very tasty. Pete

87TT

WKR
Pro tip # 368. Whatever recipe or seasoning you end up trying, Cook a small piece and taste it before you package it all up You may need to add something like more seasoning or more fat or meat to get it to your taste.