Breakfast Sausage

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I made a batch last year and it was fantastic. I just got a Maple Breakfast Sausage Kit from Sausage Maker and mixed it with approximately 30% pork butt. Only thing I might do next time is add a little more pork to keep the meat more moist. It really was good.

CBreeze

FNG
Hey all,

Got my first elk this year and wanting to make some breakfast sausage out of some of the grind. I’ve been looking at the Hi Mountain Prairie Sage Blend. Anybody tried this one out? My fiancé and I love sage sausage.

I use it. We enjoy it.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJB

FNG
A couple things we add to our breakfast sausage are chuncky apple sauce and wild rice. We do like the seasoning that has sage in it. Another way I have made breakfast sausage in the past was to get bulk sausage from the meat market but have them double the seasoning and then I mix it 50/50 sausage to venison.

mstahlz

FNG
I made a few batches of breakfast sausage from various wild game recipes online. Even with adequate fat, most turned out more like (beef) hamburger than actual sausage. If you want a Jimmy Dean type sausage the chemicals in the packages are the way to go. I like the LEM Hot Breakfast but it's a little spicy for the kids. I mix the regular and hot breakfast 50/50 and it works great.
If you do go home style on the recipes, I've found grinding onion and garlic to a paste in a food processor makes mixing it in easier, and provides more homogenous sausage. If you just cut them up they tend to cook out of the mixture.

21lbs deer, elk, antelope, or combo of the three, 4lbs bacon ends and pieces, twice grind course, add 1/2 quart buttermilk and legg’s 8 oz seasoning pack. Mix well and package it up. A fan favorite in my part of the world

rbljack

WKR
I made 25 pounds of wild hog sausage over the weekend (well, 15 pounds wild hog combined with 10 pound of domestic pork butt) and used the Leggs #10 blend, and we like it pretty good.

Ive also used the Hi mountain Hunters original and the Maples blend. Id say the Original is similar to the Leggs #10, maybe a little bit more spice to it.

The Maple sausage is real good with Pancakes in the AM, but its a bit sweet and doesn't work as well for making bisquits and gravy.

OP
Beam92

Beam92

FNG
I ended up making 20 pounds with 10lbs elk and 10lbs pork shoulder with the Hi Mountain prairie sage. It turned out perfect. Love it for sausage and biscuits in the morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biggie

FNG
I generally go with 30% pork fat or 40-50% untrimmed pork butt. Waltons or The Sausage Maker is my choice for seasonings.

I get my mixes from Waltons. I try to do a 80/20 venison/pork mix. Mixing water in is key. I also add powdered milk.

I like my breakfast sausage really spicy and the only thing I have ever found to get it there is habanero extract. A little bit goes a long way.. 1 tsp per 5 lbs. It gets spicier over time in the freezer

LEM breakfast & hot breakfast have been good. AC legg #10 is good and cheaper.

Whatever you seasoning you use make sure to add enough pork or pork fat or it'll be like flavored hamburger. We use 20-25% pure pork fat.
Im just got a pack of the AC legg #10 last week. Im going to do a 25 lb run next weekend. I been using Butcher Packer #10 and thought I might try out the AC Legg.
So glad to hear its good.

Interesting, When I lived in Shreveport LA for a while I used to stop at stores and buy something called Boudin sausage. It had rice in it as well. A few links of Boudin and a meat pie made a pretty good lunch on the fly.

Moserkr

WKR
I used the premix packs sold in stores once and it was horrible. Now i just experiment with recipes and individual spices until Im happy. Its extremely easy - google the basic recipe, hand mix the ingredients into a big bowl of ground meat and fat. I go light at 15-20% pork fat. Once mixed, cook a sample, as recommended by many, and adjust spices as necessary. Only you can tell what tastes best to you. But once you do get it right, write it down for next time!! Its worth the effort to make it from scratch, try it and you will never go back to a package mix.

Im already out of elk breakfast sausage 😕. Made too much biscuits and gravy from scratch and its so delicious....🤤🤤

remnar

FNG
Ive tried the High Mt. Seasoning its good . But as previously stated its not to hard to make a good breakfast sausage blend on your own and taylor it to your taste.

rharbaugh

WKR
my wife and I processed two whitetails this winter. we decided to grind the sausage at 75/25 , leave it unseasoned, and packaged up 1# portions. when we go to cook breakfast, pizza, brat patties, etc., we then season the meat as we want it. we normally just google "x" sausage recipe, find two or three we like and combine them. good versatility and get to learn/experiment on the way.

KyBeamBum

FNG
We use a 50/50 blend of deer and boston butt (always look for a fatty butt) and Leggs blend #10 seasoning. You could add some extra Rubbed Sage into the mix if you wanted.