Breakfast when truck camping??

colersu22

WKR
Bought one of these for some of my hunting and scouting trips. Great for burritos and really anything wrapped in aluminum foil. Heats my food while I am driving and normally ready to eat when I pull over. Truckers have been using them for years. Big time saver for me when I don't have time to cook but want something hot to eat.

Interesting, I have always just thrown burritos and stuff on my intake manifold to warm up when I’m driving. Started doing it like 15 years ago when I would go wheeling and just carried over to scouting trips/hunting trips. I know they make little cooker boxes for snowmobiles that use the engine to heat food too.

Last year i had to make a trip into town and i scored a couple fresh breakfast sandwiches. Save them babies for later! Always have bacon and eggs for a late start day breakfast, usually while in a roadside glassing location. Normally i cook coffee and hit the road, rip down some sort of bar after a hour or so. Like i said tjough, those breskfast sammys came in handy. Good solid food in the gut to start the day off

JoeDirt

WKR
Bought one of these for some of my hunting and scouting trips. Great for burritos and really anything wrapped in aluminum foil. Heats my food while I am driving and normally ready to eat when I pull over. Truckers have been using them for years. Big time saver for me when I don't have time to cook but want something hot to eat.

I have one of those in my work van, i found some pyrex glass snapware containers that fit nicely in it. Bonus is that the glass protects your food from burning...lol I stack up a few days of left overs and eat lunch whenever and wherever.

gjk5

FNG
I have to eat breakfast or I run out of gas fast. Truck camping I like breakfast tacos wrapped in foil, they cook quicker than burritos and you can size up or down on the meal easier.

Coffee before anything

Corned beef hash and eggs, either by itself or thrown in a tortilla with shredded cheese and hot sauce.
Pancakes
diced potatoes with bacon or sausage
just egg and cheese breakfast burritos are quick and easy to eat on the road/trail/whatever

Well it looks like only one person on here either has the time or actually eats breakfast on here. A bunch of killers on here!

I enjoy cooking/eating over a campfire as much as I do hunting. My go to is very similar to the other guy. Fry bacon, use the bacon grease to sauté a sweet onion. And I use frozen tater tots as my potatoes, they cook evenly and stay together better than shredded potatoes. Once the potatoes are cooked I add shredded cheese and then let the mix get nice and crispy. On the other side of my 30" skillet I'll cook some eggs (either scrambled or over medium). At the same time I'll throw some tortillas on a flat rock that I have strategically place. Once warm I add the potatoes, bacon, eggs, and some salsa. I will also make some pancakes but I use bisquick's just add water batter. Some people like to use a pancake instead of a tortilla, but I'm partial to tortillas. If you have any game meat you can cook that and add to recipe. It's a game changer.

Here's a modified version from this past fall on a 12 day float hunt.

4d88a2ed4f83caea6e99f92c936d5b22.jpg

ScottH

Lil-Rokslider
How many dozen eggs can you cook in that 30" skillet at one time?

blackdawg

WKR
I have been pre-cooking all the ingredients for a breakfast burrito, vacuum sealing everything except tortilla, cheese and Hot Picante.Drop precooked vacuum sealed bag in hot pot of water for a few minutes, heat tortillas in frying pan for a few seconds, great breakfast, easy cleanup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All these premade suggestions are my go to as well. I also hardboil eggs - less tasty, but quick prep and last much longer in the cooler. Precooked meat, vac sealed, and frozen - becomes ice for the cooler until meal time, then easy to reheat - in a jet boil (in the bag) or on the camp fire with cast iron skillet, grate, or hot rock.

TX_Diver

WKR
Don't ban me for this... But I took the costco pre-cooked bacon on our last trip. We'd taken bacon in the past and it's great but I hated the clean-up of raw meat. The pre-cooked bacon was fine to throw in a cast iron pan on the wood stove with some eggs and frozen (or freeze-dried) tater tots/hash browns.

I also do the breakfast burritos. Make ahead of time and just heat up.

GreenV

FNG
I don’t know if you can beat a sausage and egg breakfast burrito, but the mountain house breakfast skillet in a tortilla isn’t a bad option for how easy it is. Add hot sauce.

Northwinds308

Lil-Rokslider
Im not a huge fan of oats. What do you guys do when truck camping and weight isnt a big deal?? I was thinking of bringing some eggs and just making some eggs and bacon?? It doesnt take 5 min to scramble eggs?? Anyone have any other quick Ideas??
I typically do eggs and bacon and beans, maybe some toast. I eat like a king when I don't have to carry it.

Morning routine; get water boiling, pee, coffee, get a freeze dried breakfast (mtn house, backpackers, etc.) going, coffee, shake and pour bisquick pancake mix and fry up some cakes! Make sure not to seal the lid if there's leftover batter because it will explode. In Colorado the shake and pours are about a dollar and you can get a good amount of pancakes.

Might try the kodiak cakes this year or use protein powder to make pancakes; but the bisquick is well, quick, and easy.

Walking Birds

Lil-Rokslider
Mostly depends on who I'm hunting with, couple guys I hunt with are up and gone, granola bar and a gatorade. Another buddy is all about the experience, wake up a bit earlier, bacon, eggs, pancakes and coffee on the percolator... Life is good in the second camp

DeepForks

FNG
Good question. I'm the no breakfast type as well. Coffee is all I need.

Depends on the type of hunting as well. If I am on the go all day long, I usually don't eat until dinner. If I am glassing a lot, I will take a lot more food and snack while glassing.