Breaking a horse to meat packing

BluMtn

WKR
In my younger days we had a horse that would pack anything you put on the saddle. My father and I were part of the local search and rescue. Had a guy die in the back country and we took that horse in to pack the guy out. When we got to the location of where the body was we took the body bag off the saddle and unrolled it. The horse just stood there. Lifted the blanket off the guy to put him in the bag and that horse went ballistic when he saw that body on the ground and saw us putting him in that bag. Would not let us load the body on the saddle. Had to bring in some guys with a stokes and we had to carry him out. That old horse wanted out of there. He headed up the trail and got back to the horse trailer about 2 hrs before we did. The thing is after that event he would still pack deer and elk and never batted an eye when we started loading the meat on him. I was still riding him when he was 25 years old and went out to feed one day and he was stone cold dead.

If you don’t have any hides or leftover carcass parts handy, try a local taxidermist. They’ve always got chunks of leftover critters laying around. Start by hanging a chunk of hide on the fence with a grain pan beneath it, next move the grain pan onto the hide. Hold onto the hide while you pet your horse, let him smell it as much as he wants to so he can learn that it’s not going to eat him. Within a week you should have him broke to it no problem

OP
K

Kstitz

FNG
Thanks for all of the great input. I traded that horse last year. I am picking up a new 12 year old TWH that has not been shot around or had meat packed. I am going to get a hide and start there with getting him familiar with packing. I am going to break him to the gun like a do my bird dogs.

I'm old school. Every horse that has shown reluctance gets a handful of fresh blood on the nose but part of it is your manner. If you are timid and scared of what you are doing, the horse will read that and respond accordingly. I expect them to do it and they will.

I have one mare that put's on a show every time we load her up with quarters. As soon as we get past that she settles down and we work our way back to the main trail with the load. Your personality will affect your horses. I don't mean mean but firm and assertive.